Diatoms and carbon dosing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Avp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Avp

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2010
Messages
106
Reaction score
12
Location
CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling diatoms in my tank for several months now. Tank has been running for over ten years. Every day the diatoms cover my sandbed and get all over the rockwork. At night they recede and come back when the lights come on the next day. My nitrates are 7 and phosphates are 0.02. I've tried wet skimming along with gfo and granular carbon use for months now, but it hasn't helped. I've also tried large water changes but the diatoms come back. After back and forth conversations with Spectrapure, we determined my RODI water is fine. Would carbon dosing be a good idea to try?
 
Are you 100% positive they're diatoms? Testing for Nitrate and Phosphate can be misleading when you're going through an outbreak.
 
Pretty sure they are diatoms. It's brown and recedes dramatically at night. Not sure what else it could be.
 
How old is the tank?

Yes, carbon dosing may be a fine way to reduce nutrients that the diatoms are getting, as might other treatments, such as GFO. GFO also has the advantage that it will directly bind silicate, which diatoms require.
 
Are you 100% positive they're diatoms? Testing for Nitrate and Phosphate can be misleading when you're going through an outbreak.

How old is the tank?

Yes, carbon dosing may be a fine way to reduce nutrients that the diatoms are getting, as might other treatments, such as GFO. GFO also has the advantage that it will directly bind silicate, which diatoms require.
Tank is about 10 years old. I've been using gfo but it doesn't seem to be helping.
 
How old is the tank?

Yes, carbon dosing may be a fine way to reduce nutrients that the diatoms are getting, as might other treatments, such as GFO. GFO also has the advantage that it will directly bind silicate, which diatoms require.

Thanks Randy. If I start dosing vodka, should I still run carbon and GFO in my reactor?
 
Yes, you can do all three simultaneously. I've found that a mixture of ethanol and acetic acid works quite well. What kind of skimmer do you have?
 
Are there any downsides to carbon dosing, if done properly? Any chance it makes the diatom problem worse?
 
Carbon dosing will likely help the diatom issue, not make it worse. Downsides to carbon dosing include reduced pH if you don't have a good skimmer, and white bacterial flocks once the bacterial bloom really gets going. Missing a carbon dosage will also result in a nitrate spike, but other than that, the downsides are not that bad.
 
I use no pox by Red Sea dose regular but am having cloud a t moment cleared my diatoms up .just need to reduce amount by 30% once the cloud has gone and gradually increase was told that by tech at redsea
 
I use no pox by Red Sea dose regular but am having cloud a t moment cleared my diatoms up .just need to reduce amount by 30% once the cloud has gone and gradually increase was told that by tech at redsea
That's what I use as well.
 
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try the red sea no pox and see how things go. Any other advice using it?
 
Thanks Randy. If I start dosing vodka, should I still run carbon and GFO in my reactor?

I do, except I use vinegar. :)
 
Better to dose too little and be patient?

Depends on the tank. I've used a very wide range of doses in my tank, in part because I use other methods too (such as macroalgae). In my tank, the exact does is not that important because when one method lags, the others pick up the slack.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new