Diatoms and their source?

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Tank has been up and runniny a few months now. Started with live sand, caribsea life rock and few bottles of Dr tims one and only.

As you can see from the photo, diatoms are in full swing all over my rock. Was also covering the sand but I decided to stir some bits as It was just so ugly

Have a few trochus and nassarius snails in the tank along with 2 clowns and Coral banded shrimp.

My understanding is that diatoms feed off silicates and then with light on they thrive. I have only user 0 tds RODI water and thats where i thought silicates came from? This diatom bloom seems to be worse than on my previous tank a few years ago which was started with tap water!

Diatoms in this tank have been about for a few days so I'm hoping they start to die off soon.

20220406_161950.jpg

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal to go through this phase at some point. What are your water parameters?
Yeah I knew it happens etc, just thought it would be minimal when using rodi, live sand and Dr Tim's lol. Just seems worse this time around so curious as to where silicates are coming from.

Not tested waters for a week or so I think. Even then I only tested for nitrate which was 5.

Aware that probably GHA or cyano will probably follow for the next stage. Trying to let it all run its course without having to tamper with it too much. But no corals going in yet just incase it does go mad and I can just limit light

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I knew it happens etc, just thought it would be minimal when using rodi, live sand and Dr Tim's lol. Just seems worse this time around so curious as to where silicates are coming from.

Not tested waters for a week or so I think. Even then I only tested for nitrate which was 5.

Aware that probably GHA or cyano will probably follow for the next stage. Trying to let it all run its course without having to tamper with it too much. But no corals going in yet just incase it does go mad and I can just limit light
Keep an eye on your phosphates as well. When you do move into corals you'll want to test for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back