Diatoms in Established tank

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 11 months old. I have brown "powder" on my sand, which I take to be diatoms. I do water changes every couple of weeks using Rodi 6 stage filter. Parameters seem good. I turned lights off for a day, which did some good for a bit, but the brown stuff came back quickly. What is causing this stuff and how can I get rid of it?

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem. Yes silicates are known to fuel diatoms, mine started when my RO filter was producing 1 TDS. I siphon my rocks and wash my sand but it returns every day. I guess I just need to continue to do water changes to remove the silicates. I am open to any suggestions.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 months is a decent chunk of time but it isn't 3-5yrs+ and even those tanks at times get dustings that clear themselves up.

Keep on with managing everything you can to put clean water in and export crud out and I bet it resolves itself with a little time.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my Phosphate levels were 0.33, I heard they're supposed to be 0.03. I bought Seachem Phosphate/silicate remover, dropped them in a separate sock and put that close to my pump yesterday. I'll let you know if this helps.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem. Yes silicates are known to fuel diatoms, mine started when my RO filter was producing 1 TDS. I siphon my rocks and wash my sand but it returns every day. I guess I just need to continue to do water changes to remove the silicates. I am open to any suggestions.
How do you wash your sand? Do you mean vacuum it during water changes or something else? Thank you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back