Diatoms in new tank? And cleanup crew recommendations please...

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a copepod population may be able to help as per BRStv's experiment.
I use my refugium and turned light schedule to only be on for 4 -5 hours a day and peak for only 2 hours which has helped the most.
Chemipure supposed to remove silicates, not doing much tho for me.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my phosphates are pretty high - .32 according to my Hanna LR checker. My LFS suggested to let it ride, that they'll come down on their own and will go lower after I do my first water change. But that I should wait until my Nitrates (currently at 9PPM) get up to 30-ish, before doing the water change. Should I do anything about the phosphates now? My concern is that they'll feed an algae bloom when I turn on the lights.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my phosphates are pretty high - .32 according to my Hanna LR checker. My LFS suggested to let it ride, that they'll come down on their own and will go lower after I do my first water change. But that I should wait until my Nitrates (currently at 9PPM) get up to 30-ish, before doing the water change. Should I do anything about the phosphates now? My concern is that they'll feed an algae bloom when I turn on the lights.
It's often the balance of nutrients as much as the actual levels that cause problems. A commonly used guideline is 100ppm nitrate to 1ppm phosphates, so nitrate of 30 to phos of .32 may not be an issue.
There also must be sufficient nitrate in the tank in order to reduce Phos.

But... water changes won't significantly reduce phosphates.

This is a brand new tank and you have a way to go. Trying to prevent algae at this stage is a fruitless effort. Let the tank continue to cycle and mature; high phosphates at the beginning are not unusual.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's often the balance of nutrients as much as the actual levels that cause problems. A commonly used guideline is 100ppm nitrate to 1ppm phosphates, so nitrate of 30 to phos of .32 may not be an issue.
There also must be sufficient nitrate in the tank in order to reduce Phos.

But... water changes won't significantly reduce phosphates.

This is a brand new tank and you have a way to go. Trying to prevent algae at this stage is a fruitless effort. Let the tank continue to cycle and mature; high phosphates at the beginning are not unusual.
Thanks. And I understand and know what you're saying. But I still want to do everything I can to minimize ugliness in the ugly phase. I have significant pressure from my wife to do so! (The tank is in our kitchen.)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. And I understand and know what you're saying. But I still want to do everything I can to minimize ugliness in the ugly phase. I have significant pressure from my wife to do so! (The tank is in our kitchen.)
I can understand that, but realize that if your tank doesn't go through the uglies now, it's more likely that you'll have "delayed uglies" which will make the tank unattractive for a longer period of time than if you just let it go through the process now.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol best thing to do is have a sit down with the wife . They ugly stage has to happen eventually might as well let it ride it's course . Unfortunately nothing good in this hobby happen fast but bad thing's certainly happen fast .

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol best thing to do is have a sit down with the wife . They ugly stage has to happen eventually might as well let it ride it's course . Unfortunately nothing good in this hobby happen fast but bad thing's certainly happen fast .
^^^^ THIS is what I've been saying! Lol ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back