Diatoms on new sand bed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Johnd651
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Johnd651

Getting back in after 14+ years
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
5,000
Reaction score
7,312
Location
Upstate NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do I touch them or leave them? Vac out? Stir in? Been a long time since I've had to think about it.
 
I just let it be in my tank and either let my watchman mess with it or cuc. It went away overtime
 
I was waiting on cuc to make sure they have food... I guess it is time.
Happy The Lion King GIF
 
Do I touch them or leave them? Vac out? Stir in? Been a long time since I've had to think about it.
This is generally a sign of a tank completing its cycle and while unsightly is also harmless. If you dont like appearance, Siphon it up, reduce white light intensity and add some snails such as astrea, cerith, nerite and even a couple of strawberry conchs who will help control it. Glass can be wiped as needed. Some triggers are dry rock, silicates in expired RODI cartridges, elevated ammonia and nitrate and even lack of water flow
 
This is generally a sign of a tank completing its cycle and while unsightly is also harmless. If you dont like appearance, Siphon it up, reduce white light intensity and add some snails such as astrea, cerith, nerite and even a couple of strawberry conchs who will help control it. Glass can be wiped as needed. Some triggers are dry rock, silicates in expired RODI cartridges, elevated ammonia and nitrate and even lack of water flow
Thanks

I am just going to let it be. I need to order a CUC next.

I did start with dry rock and dr Tim's. I am so used to live rock, so this is just me relearning the new way.
 
Sounds like your experience has been just like mine so far, even down to waiting to order the CUC. For what it's worth, I had an amazing experience with this company: https://invertedreef.com/ SO nice not to have to worry about your snails bringing in who knows what kind of pests and disease.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 36 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new