Diatoms with Bryopsis Help!

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E42FF941-420E-489C-9498-589D7F30C901.jpeg

I'm looking for advice from fellow reefers! I'm battling what I think is diatoms and what I think is bryopsis. My tank is 8 months old. Nitrate is 8.5 (Hanna) and phosphate is neglegable (salifort). I had a slight diatom bloom during the initial cycling but, they went away untill 2 months ago. I just changed my RO membrane & DI resin and did a 30% water change. My hope is that I'm eliminating silicates & the diatoms will die off.
In addition, it looks like i have bryopsis on a single rock (see middle rock in photo). I have a rabbit fish, Kole Tang, large urchin, & a big (CUC). They eat all other algae but won't touch this specific rock which is why I'm assuming it's bryopsis. Unfortunately, there’s a bunch of cespitularia on the other half of this rock.
Should I take the rock out with the cespitularia & break off the half with bryopsis? Should I resort to reef flux? Are the diatoms and bryopsis separate issues or is there a common root problem/fix?
What’s my best course of action?
Thanks in advance!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got green star polyp, palys, leather coral, and a gorgonian that will grow over the algae eventually.
I'd take the rock out if it bothered me and soak the algae with hydrogen peroxide, let is stand for 10 minutes (cooking) and then rinse the rock off in fresh water, then salt water, and put it back in. I would repete the treatment weekly until the algae is eliminated

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back