Diatoms

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am into my third aquarium set up and now have a 180 gallon aquarium that is having a battle with what I believe to be diatoms - brown algae everywhere. The fish are fine and the few coral I have added are relatively healthy. The tank has been up and running for almost a year. For the first time I did not use live rock but rather the dry rock that I saved from previous set ups. (Of course it was once live rock but moving from state to state did not allow me the ability to get everything transferred to new aquarium so I keep starting over. ) I am thinking that using dry rock and adding Dr. Tim's bacteria was a bad choice and I should have stuck to live rock. This is also the first time I am on a well water supply. I use RO water and just recently added a DI unit to the output. I have also started GFO even though my phosphate measure zero. Nitrates are also around zero ppm. Ammonia is zero and Alk, Ca, Mg are all in range. I use kalwasser for keep the pH at 8.2 and the Alk around 8.5 dkH. My patience is wearing thin as I am tired of siphoning out the diatom infested sand and brushing the diatoms from the rock and aquarium glass. Anything I am missing besides patience?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am into my third aquarium set up and now have a 180 gallon aquarium that is having a battle with what I believe to be diatoms - brown algae everywhere. The fish are fine and the few coral I have added are relatively healthy. The tank has been up and running for almost a year. For the first time I did not use live rock but rather the dry rock that I saved from previous set ups. (Of course it was once live rock but moving from state to state did not allow me the ability to get everything transferred to new aquarium so I keep starting over. ) I am thinking that using dry rock and adding Dr. Tim's bacteria was a bad choice and I should have stuck to live rock. This is also the first time I am on a well water supply. I use RO water and just recently added a DI unit to the output. I have also started GFO even though my phosphate measure zero. Nitrates are also around zero ppm. Ammonia is zero and Alk, Ca, Mg are all in range. I use kalwasser for keep the pH at 8.2 and the Alk around 8.5 dkH. My patience is wearing thin as I am tired of siphoning out the diatom infested sand and brushing the diatoms from the rock and aquarium glass. Anything I am missing besides patience?
If they truly are diatoms the best thing to do is let them do their work. Once they are done consuming the silicates they will go away on their own as long as your RODI is in good shape.

OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After confirming Dino's I have initiated phase 1 on their eradication. The Black Out.
d5e6efa9eb006d40c31c89addd959de6.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right After the black out , do a large sipon. You Amy also want to try to boost the ph over a week with kalk wasser. A small amount in the ato and a small amount dosed directly.

Ph Meters and tests are cheap. Try to hit 8.3 8.4 at the end of the day test.

OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always dosed kalkwasser and increased the pH to 8.3 to 8.4 this past week. I control the pH using two pH probes input to my Apex so it doesn't drive the pH too high.

I have some apprehension about the black out phase and what my fish, coral, and anemone will look like 3 days from now.

Hoping for the best.

OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised the pH to 8.3 - 8.4 about a week ago with my kalkwasser dose ( I have always dosed kalk). I control the pH with my Apex and two pH probes.

First time ever on the blackout and a little apprehensive about what the coral, fish, and anenome will be looking like 3 days from now.

Hoping for the best

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always dosed kalkwasser and increased the pH to 8.3 to 8.4 this past week. I control the pH using two pH probes input to my Apex so it doesn't drive the pH too high.

I have some apprehension about the black out phase and what my fish, coral, and anemone will look like 3 days from now.

Hoping for the best.
It'll be fine.
Make sure there enough room for gas exchange. you want the co2 out and the 02 in.

My self , I think it's better just turn the lights off for a few days. Not clue where the total black out thing comes from. Makes no sense to me.
A lighting guy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. That's why I like facts. I've seen no facts that support a total black out.
Unless your tank is in a window.

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recomend reducing your lighting schedule to the bare minimum for your corals and adding a refugium if you have the space or an algae turf scrubber with long light schedules to keep the algae out of the DT. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Refugium with some live rock and chaetomoropha algae. I had a reduced light schedule for about 2 weeks and the Dino's kept thriving. ... hence the blackout.

I appreciate all the 2 cents I can get. Just hard to apply personal experience to unique situations. It's like raising kids...all the advice is relative to the experience.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Refugium with some live rock and chaetomoropha algae. I had a reduced light schedule for about 2 weeks and the Dino's kept thriving. ... hence the blackout.

I appreciate all the 2 cents I can get. Just hard to apply personal experience to unique situations. It's like raising kids...all the advice is relative to the experience.
Amen.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what percentage of folks are having luck battling dinos with any of the methods in the main Dino thread.

Just to refresh folks on the natural alternative...

• Take measures to assure that your feeding system is very consistent. An auto-feeder is an overlooked tool on most tanks. Look at Eheim's feeders...set them on low with high quality flake food. Just don't let them run your whole feeding program as flake isn't great food.
  • Find out what inconsistencies you can eliminate with your husbandry to prevent more unneeded disturbances and the resulting microbial/algal changes. This could be changes to lighting or water chemistry – make them as consistent as you can.
  • E.g. If you're adding new livestock all the time, stop it. If you have a color-tunable light fixture, stop re-tuning the colors. If you don't have an ATO keeping your salinity stable, get one. If you're still managing your dosing by hand, get an $80 4-head doser. Etc.
If you provide the stability, then your dino's competitors will start competing with them and their predators will start eating them!!

One thing that seems to help things progress is to stop scraping down the algae off your glass....once the dino's start giving up space that is. Mechanical removal is a legit short-term strategy and might help give competitors a leg up too.

Other interesting more-or-less related links on my blog:

(Also cross-posted in the main Dino thread!)

This is a good forum for Dino. It as backs up @saltyfilmfolks info about limited nutrient tanks.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also run a lot of carbon just in case they are the really nasty ones that release poison when they die off.

Fwiw, I used the “dirty method” to kill mine. No blackout at all.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it going just in case these guys release toxins

Jaxon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I used the “dirty method” to kill mine. No blackout at all.

“dirty method” ...?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back