Diatoms!!!!

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone so I still have diatoms which I figured would have exhausted themselves already. I conduct water changes using RODI from lfs with io salt. Tank is 9 months old and currently conducting water changes every week.
Parameters
Salinity 1.025
Water temperature 78 F
PH 7.8
Nitrates hover between 10-20
I do not have a test kit for silicates or phosphates
Filter media includes Phosguard, Purigen, and regular filter media.
FF712B9E-5D3A-4AE6-AA25-0C79E9815A47.jpeg

jerrymarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to have to let the nitrogen cycle complete. You can add a conch to help with controlling the outbreak.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because your source water has silicates in it so everytime you water change you feed the diatoms.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So try another lfs for RODI water?
Or make your own RODI. I have somewhat of the same problem. I use a 4 stage RODI system at home and some silicate gets through so I end up with light dusting of diatoms after water changes. At first I wanted it gone but a little silicate is good for the tank and a sprinkling of diatoms on my sand just means dinos will never settle in. They make a special silicate filter for RODI systems to but it doesn't bother me enough right now to add it on.

Dalalen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One copepod can eat lots of diatoms in a single day. BRS recently did an experiment and eliminated diatoms by adding copepods. Try adding them to your tank. If if it doesn't work, they are still good for your ecosystem.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One copepod can eat lots of diatoms in a single day. BRS recently did an experiment and eliminated diatoms by adding copepods. Try adding them to your tank. If if it doesn't work, they are still good for your ecosystem.
I'm curious how they studied a single copepods eating habits.. but I agree they are good for the tank

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 stage RODI and still have diatoms in my 3 year reef tank on the sand bed.

Seems like tank should be cycled by now and 4 stage RODI with 0 tds should have no silicates added to the tank. Or very minimal amount but to cover a good portion of the sand seems odd

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 stage RODI and still have diatoms in my 3 year reef tank on the sand bed.

Seems like tank should be cycled by now and 4 stage RODI with 0 tds should have no silicates added to the tank. Or very minimal amount but to cover a good portion of the sand seems odd
Same as me. BRS makes a silicate buster filter you can add to your existing RODI system.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or make your own RODI. I have somewhat of the same problem. I use a 4 stage RODI system at home and some silicate gets through so I end up with light dusting of diatoms after water changes. At first I wanted it gone but a little silicate is good for the tank and a sprinkling of diatoms on my sand just means dinos will never settle in. They make a special silicate filter for RODI systems to but it doesn't bother me enough right now to add it on.
Yea I’m leaning towards getting an RODI system. I just don’t like the appearance.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting I had no clue. I’ll try that!

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank is definitely cycled! I get RODI from lfs just wondering if it had truly 0 tds.

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of issues with algae, my water reads 0ppm after going through my RODI filter, and I was getting so frustrated that I almost gave up. I talked to the guy at my LFS and ended up picking up a sifting goby (I got a yellow head sleeper). He's been in the DT for 36 hours and the amount of work that little dude has put in is insane. I can't say it's the correct thing to do with combating things like that but dang does my tank already look better.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of issues with algae, my water reads 0ppm after going through my RODI filter, and I was getting so frustrated that I almost gave up. I talked to the guy at my LFS and ended up picking up a sifting goby (I got a yellow head sleeper). He's been in the DT for 36 hours and the amount of work that little dude has put in is insane. I can't say it's the correct thing to do with combating things like that but dang does my tank already look better.
I thought a sand sifting goby but I don’t think my sand bed is deep enough

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back