Did I make a mistake? Aquarium build DIY

Nate Chalk

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
10,604
Reaction score
30,747
Location
no
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on building my first DIY aquarium. I've notice two different constructions of the 5 panels for an aquarium.

1. The side panels are mounted directly on top of the bottom panel.
2. The side panels are mounted to the side of the bottom panel.

Which is better? Is there a difference?

Link to my build thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/72x30x18-diy-build-thread.772638/
-Nate
 
I would use two layers of base glass, so you float a smaller pane on the absolute bottom one. This way your sides are bonded to the bottom and glass thickness up the wall.
Hope that makes sense.
 
I would use two layers of base glass, so you float a smaller pane on the absolute bottom one. This way your sides are bonded to the bottom and glass thickness up the wall.
Hope that makes sense.
I've definitely seen that construction as well. Am i completely screwed if im only mounting to the top of the bottom panel?
 
No I wouldn't say so. I'll take a look at your build thread now...

This is a video of what I mean.

 
So when you spec'd the dimensions for the glass, did you plan on it sitting on top of the base glass, or the sides of the base glass?
 
So when you spec'd the dimensions for the glass, did you plan on it sitting on top of the base glass, or the sides of the base glass?
I planned to set the glass on top of the bottom panel. That's how I had seen many other videos shown. What threw me off is I have a smaller rimless tank that is built "2. The side panels are mounted to the side of the bottom panel. "

I had seen the video you shared, and its on top of the glass, I plan to do internal bracing and top bracing euro. So perhaps that'll make it fine?
 
1/2" glass with your bracing should be fine. I think if you were going braceless it would matter more and I would go the way of that video I posted.
Have you got a drawing of your design showing where the bracing would go?
 
I was thinking 2x euro bracing.

one set around the top rim, and another set on the bottom. Similar accomplishment to the video posted.
 
Though , I should be able to get away with a rimless no bracing. Bracing is safer I've been recommended
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new