Did I nuke my tank?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon with HOB, mostly softies and a couple of hammers and candy cane. I just returned from a 10 day vacation. I had someone feeding my fish but no other maintenance. Everything looked great other than some cyano and GHA, which I try to clear out on a daily basis when I'm home.

So yesterday I did a 5 gal water change and scrubbed and sucked out the GHA as normal. There was a decent clump of GHA encroaching on my GSP and some zoas, so I turned off the pumps and dosed it with some H2O2, maybe 5-6 ml. I let it sit a couple of minutes then turned the pumps back on. I've done this a couple of times before with no Ill effect, although I may not have used quite so much H2O2 in the past.

Note that this is the first time I've used H2O2 since adding a condylactis, BTA, and rock flower nem to the tank. These are the first nems I've ever owned, and they've been thriving. None of them have ever moved since being established a month ago.

Within an hour or so I noticed the nems closing up. As it was getting late and the lights had begun cycling down, I didn't think too much of it. This morning, nearly everything in the tank is severely shriveled up or missing altogether. The BTA is nowhere to be found. The condy had dropped loose and was being nipped at by a clown which has never paid it any attention before. It was secreting a milky substance. I moved it immediately to my QT tank.

I performed a 15 gal water change, which is all I had prepared on hand. I also dropped a new charcoal pack into my Fluval C4. But after several hours, everything still seems to be going downhill. Strangely, it's just the corals. My fish and invertebrates seem to be unaffected.

I have a toadstool leather that looks a little shrunken but has good polyp extension, and my GSP and Kenya tree look marginal. But my hammers, mushrooms and Xenia look terrible. All zoas are completely closed up. The rock flower nem has a gaping mouth and is all drawn up.

Is there any hope at this point? Obviously the H2O2 was a bad idea, but did I simply use too much or did it shock the condy into releasing its toxins and that's what has zapped everything else? Any suggestions other than continuing water changes to try to save them?
8d56bc5987f4e76dd03977fc8d0402d8.jpg
9f9f48aa61a28142fac3720c9dee3b91.jpg
383c54fd0f674e6026fc8534a968a192.jpg
0be76cf400028bbf1e6bb52b72e81d92.jpg
2e7ec39e9872f098c1a71649ad1fe77a.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unhappy BTA nuked my tank once. They are sensitive to H2O2 and will release their toxins when melting. Keep running lots of activated carbon to remove the toxins and hang in there. With luck the other corals may bounce back. I did lose most of the new sps I had just added to my tank and a leather and a few other softies. The shrooms, candy canes and duncan and the established sps bounced back. I lost the main kenya tree but 2 pieces found their way and took root on a rock months later.

If the nem is melting and you can find it, remove it from the tank

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on 8 years of logged peroxide threads between here, nano-reef.com and reefcentral this is my idea:

its likely none of those are going to full die. everything you mentioned doing ok matches the known tolerants listing for in-tank use, and everything acting angry meets the listing for sensitives/cautious for in tank use

in tank use being the key detail. if you pulled those rocks and worked em externally, algae control w peroxide can't be beat. but it was dosed, contacted nontargets as the issue.

the zos will not die they're the hardiest coral we keep to peroxide. they'll open. if they die, we have the first case of a full colony loss out of 10x000 treatments filed. yes we've lost an individual zo before lol when they all retracted down to one stalk for excellent conditions before the peroxide event :) but not active strong colonies.

I do think its a chem irritant/warfare issue as the peroxide is rendered inert in a few hours after the dose.

in no way at all was that dose enough to affect your nitrifiers. we have quarts of 35% being released into a tank on file before ammonia processing is affected. 3% can't do it at all in my opinion, but it can shock the heck out of some anemones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeffchapok

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on 8 years of logged peroxide threads between here, nano-reef.com and reefcentral this is my idea:

its likely none of those are going to full die. everything you mentioned doing ok matches the known tolerants listing for in-tank use, and everything acting angry meets the listing for sensitives/cautious for in tank use

in tank use being the key detail. if you pulled those rocks and worked em externally, algae control w peroxide can't be beat. but it was dosed, contacted nontargets as the issue.

the zos will not die they're the hardiest coral we keep to peroxide. they'll open. if they die, we have the first case of a full colony loss out of 10x000 treatments filed. yes we've lost an individual zo before lol when they all retracted down to one stalk for excellent conditions before the peroxide event :) but not active strong colonies.

I do think its a chem irritant/warfare issue as the peroxide is rendered inert in a few hours after the dose.

in no way at all was that dose enough to affect your nitrifiers. we have quarts of 35% being released into a tank on file before ammonia processing is affected. 3% can't do it at all in my opinion, but it can shock the heck out of some anemones.
That's good to hear. I did pull some select rocks with nothing attached to them and treated and scrubbed them. But any with coral attached, I left in the tank. I was really only trying to spot treat a couple of areas, not trying to dose the entire tank. But of course, once it's in there, it's in there.

Hopefully I'll see some improvement once I get home tonight. I'm really going to be upset if that rock flower and my hairy mushroom don't survive. They were really looking good.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet strongly they will survive but we need your data and pics n follow on them for sure, it can help others in case they don't. prediction is 95% likely to be ok in a week. 5% chance of loss
Some peoples tanks are so massive and on the verge of total takeover that the keepers want to risk anemone stress by dosing the water, its rare area to tread so at least if the insult already happened here accidentally we get to test predictions v outcomes

I will link it to this peroxide thread right here below, in a week we'll know what survived. helpful thread you made here yep.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reef2reef.com/threads/reef2reef-pest-algae-challenge-thread-hydrogen-peroxide.187042/

I’ve never seen peroxide truly wipe out a tank. We collected hilarious overdoses from reefcentral my friend NaCl had a half gallon dump all at once lol from a reservoir that could possibly be considered a wipe lol but it was 35% he may as well have aimed a missile at his tank

They’re just mad :) and I know they look revolt mad lol but watch that fourth day they’ll pep

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and detritus levels

we gotta attack that sandbed eventually (not shown, but fully assumed :) )

OP
OP
jeffchapok

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep you posted. Rock flower nem fell but reattached himself, so he's still alive. The condy in QT is upright again but mostly withdrawn. Still no sign of the BTA. Hairy shroom looks a little better. No improvement for the hammers or Xenia.
1d569a281568acc5ab8bdb5b7baa9da4.jpg

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep you posted. Rock flower nem fell but reattached himself, so he's still alive. The condy in QT is upright again but mostly withdrawn. Still no sign of the BTA. Hairy shroom looks a little better. No improvement for the hammers or Xenia.
1d569a281568acc5ab8bdb5b7baa9da4.jpg
So your Nitrate level is a bit high but i'm stumped as to why you have so much hair algae at those lvls. Do you have any Tangs? Algae eaters?

OP
OP
jeffchapok

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no tangs. I have 5 or 6 turbo snails, same number of trochas, 3 or 4 emerald crabs, and who knows how many blue legged hermits. Just added two Halloween hermits yesterday prior to the disaster.

I've had 3 pincushion urchins but they all died within a couple of days. No idea why.

I'm already overpopulated with fish, or I'd add a lawnmower blenny.

Cameron A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide can also kill good bacteria in your system depending on the dosage and concentration used. If you used a high concentration you might want to consider adding more live bacteria and definitely run some fresh activated carbon.

OP
OP
jeffchapok

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock flower nem looks like he may pull through.
49890ff82868ff3c6f6fd07ed0232863.jpg

As may the condy, although I'm not as confident about this one.

52f30697aa6cc5a99159a752db74231d.jpg

Here's what he looked like before.

9a64524877d082e9f9749e7fdfea2691.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping it all works out for you. I feel you on algae control. Hard to get really effective grazers in tanks our size. I like my lawnmower blenny, but he's not all that when it comes to algae. Snails, hermits, emeralds... they'll eat it when it's tiny and tender, but once it's even small tuft-sized, they ignore it.

Your corals are probably just upset cuz "Daddy's Home" and the massive overfeeding is coming to an end.. lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen a group of angry anemones misbehave for as many days, are they much better now

they usually front all scary first 48 hrs, feign total loss, then poof on day 4 ish

Warren_Jakarta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had been soaking some old Marine Pur balls in 70% - didn't check how well they had been rinsed and dumped them (dry) into my sump before running out of the house yesterday. S&*t is going on right now in the 130g tank - snails started to drop off the sides, cleaner shrimp are missing and my BTA is going downhill. I'm running carbon with fingers crossed. I care but just very glad you posted about the other "Big Ooops" others have had. It was stupid for me to walk away yesterday - I believed that the flow and the dryness would have taken care of any residual. Yep - 70% H2O2.

Warren_Jakarta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had been soaking some old Marine Pur balls in 70% - didn't check how well they had been rinsed and dumped them (dry) into my sump before running out of the house yesterday. S&*t is going on right now in the 130g tank - snails started to drop off the sides, cleaner shrimp are missing and my BTA is going downhill. I'm running carbon with fingers crossed. I care but just very glad you posted about the other "Big Ooops" others have had. It was stupid for me to walk away yesterday - I believed that the flow and the dryness would have taken care of any residual. Yep - 70% H2O2.
BTA has recovered this morning - snails were toasted though. Not even a trace of my cleaner shrimp but the hermit crabs didn't missed a beat through this stupidity. I have a chiton that is a little bit ill and need to monitor. Tank is looking fresh though. I care alot for these creatures - just reporting this for the next person that does an "Oops" and presenting the brightside. Brandon429 - you are a solid dude! Thanks,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back