Did I overstock my 15G Nano?

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've been running my Waterbox 15G for about seven months. Absolutely love how everything is going. It's my fourth tank, and I've been in the hobby for almost 3 years. I test my water for alk, phosphates, calc, nitrates, etc. Corals are doing well. I also have macroalgea in the tank for nutrient export. No real algea issues, I'm heavily invested in this tank.

It has two healthy clowns (1.5'') and a tailspot blenny (smaller sized). However, yesterday, I saw a beautiful (Small) green mandarin goby at my LFS for a great price. I have lots and lots of pods in my tank so I knew he would eat just fine. But once I brought him home, it clicked to me that I think I might have pushed my bioload, and yet alone, bought the mandarin when it needs a bigger tank.

First, I know the mandarin goby needs a bigger tank and even the clowns eventually. I'm planning to upgrade in a year. By that time, my fishes should be medium size. But did I screw myself over? I am worried about the bioload for now. Any tips?

Thanks

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've been running my Waterbox 15G for about seven months. Absolutely love how everything is going. It's my fourth tank, and I've been in the hobby for almost 3 years. I test my water for alk, phosphates, calc, nitrates, etc. Corals are doing well. I also have macroalgea in the tank for nutrient export. No real algea issues, I'm heavily invested in this tank.

It has two healthy clowns (1.5'') and a tailspot blenny (smaller sized). However, yesterday, I saw a beautiful (Small) green mandarin goby at my LFS for a great price. I have lots and lots of pods in my tank so I knew he would eat just fine. But once I brought him home, it clicked to me that I think I might have pushed my bioload, and yet alone, bought the mandarin when it needs a bigger tank.

First, I know the mandarin goby needs a bigger tank and even the clowns eventually. I'm planning to upgrade in a year. By that time, my fishes should be medium size. But did I screw myself over? I am worried about the bioload for now. Any tips?

Thanks
Rule no. 1 - Don't buy a fish if you already know you don't have the right environment and/or habitat for! Don't invest in fish that you can only care rightly for right away..

You wouldn't buy a dog while living in a one bedroom flat (i assume...) knowing that a year from now you may have a house, right? :)

Dragonets are not rare fish by any mean, if it is a fish you want you can always get one once you have the right habitat.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks
You will have to dose pods for him, they will eat all the pods quickly in the small tank. Ive got a male/female pair in my 125 and they just eat all day long. The male is super fat. The female I got two weeks ago and she is getting noticeably bigger in her stomach area. They eat literally all day long. I still dose pods in that tank for them

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a mandarin but to me this bioload, although on the higher end, seems acceptable knowing you will be upgrading.
That is where I don't agree.. While it may be just fine right now, a possible upgrade is never a sure thing! Also, when is the right time to upgrade basis the livestock one may have in the tank? Tomorrow? Next month? A year from now? All very subjective..

No, give the fish the conditions and habitat they need strait away - or go with a different fish! :)

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to buy some more pods and will probably try to re-home him when I get the chance this month to a more suitable tank locally.

ahosel10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it white worms. Easy to culture. I have a plump spotted mandarin in a 13.5.

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much @ahosel10 appreciate the helpful tip! I'll get that as well. I have a ton of tiger pods in there since I have a place to grow them in the tank where no fish can go (Breeder box). But I'll get that and more pods

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back