Did I screw up? Aqueon plumbing question

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...I have my Aqueon tank ready for water (I think). So I filled 1/2 the tank with water (leak test). I put a gallon or two in the overflow area (to leak test the bulkheads). No leaks....but I have water trickling into the sump so did I not understand , should I have glued the durso drains into the bulheads? The Aqueon plumbing snapped together...so I guess not waterproof. Is this normal? So all the water in the overflow towers can drain into the sump?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can you take a pic, tell us what tank and set up you have. Will help us visualize the issue.

You should not glue bulkheads

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can you take a pic, tell us what tank and set up you have. Will help us visualize the issue.

You should not glue bulkheads
Sure...the tank is a 120 Reef Ready Aqueon. It has two overflow towers, in each tower is a return pipe and a drain pipe. Both return and drain pipes are "pressed" into the 1" bulkheads. I will try to do photos...never tried to add photos here.

cidermaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s normal . Just make sure your sump can hold the water from your overflows also .in the case of a power outage it may take an hour or whatever for all that water to drain from your overflow towers this could over flow your sump if you didn’t account for it so Just pull your Durso pipe out to double check capacity of your sump.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure...the tank is a 120 Reef Ready Aqueon. It has two overflow towers, in each tower is a return pipe and a drain pipe. Both return and drain pipes are "pressed" into the 1" bulkheads. I will try to do photos...never tried to add photos here.

I think you have a durso set up. Water really should not trickle in until it gets to the top of the durso pipe. Otherwise when you pumps shut of the overflow will drain entirely. When pumps are off the water level is meant to stay in the overflow to the top of the durso opening. The pipe may just need to be pushed into the bulkhead a bit more.

Without seeing it, I am not 100% sure.

cidermaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a durso set up. Water really should not trickle in until it gets to the top of the durso pipe. Otherwise when you pumps shut of the overflow will drain entirely. When pumps are off the water level is meant to stay in the overflow to the top of the durso opening. The pipe may just need to be pushed into the bulkhead a bit more.

Without seeing it, I am not 100% sure.
How would ever get it water tight without glueing it in place ? I have same setup as him (I think) and have pushed it as far as I can and it still leaks into the sump . I thought you weren’t suppose to glue the durso in place ?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pics, just kinda of guessing on your set up.

For an example, I have a similar tank. Each corner has one return and one drain. The return has a bulkhead where the return pvc pipe inside the overflow screws into the bulkhead. The drain has a bulkhead where the pvc pipe just slides into it. It is a friction fit.

Your bulkheads may be totally different. Without seeing, would not be sure.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am working with - Aqueon 120 RR
Sump.jpg

That is the sump under the 120 RR tank.

Left bulkheads.jpg

This is where 1) there is some drips on the left drain (I just tightened the union at the top and bottom 2) this drain plumbing is putting a trickle of water in the sump (I closed the gate valve for now)
Right bulkhead.jpg

No leaking observed at this time
This is the left overflow in the tank ( I put 2" of water in the overflow to test for leaks).
Down overflow.jpg

Down into the overflow - both press into 1" bulkheads (not glued)

Hope this helps?
Thank you
Henry

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

So underneath all 4 pvc pipes should be glued into the slip fittings of the bulkheads. On the wet side in the bulk heads you definitely want the return secured. Otherwise once the pump is on the pipe will shoot off under pressure. Usually the return bulkhead has threads.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

So underneath all 4 pvc pipes should be glued into the slip fittings of the bulkheads. On the wet side in the bulk heads you definitely want the return secured. Otherwise once the pump is on the pipe will shoot off under pressure. Usually the return bulkhead has threads.
Thank you...underneath, all 4 pvc pipes are glued into the bulkheads. On the wet side, the bulkheads are all 4 slip fittings. My "fix" could be to glue the return pipes in ?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m understanding this right the pipes going into bulkheads in tank/overflow box/topside are not glued and leaking a lil. Not a problem, to be expected, and I wouldn’t glue them. On the bottom side the pipes should be glued in.
Carry on

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you...underneath, all 4 pvc pipes are glued into the bulkheads. On the wet side, the bulkheads are all 4 slip fittings. My "fix" could be to glue the return pipes in ?

That definitely would be a problem not having threads on the returns. Once under pressure they will blow right off. The drains no big deals. Where did the bulkheads come from

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the set up I used. Just pic your size.

My return is threadsxslip. Underneath I glued in the pvc, in the overflow I screwed in the return pvc standpipe

My drain is slipxslip. I glued underneath and press fit in the overflow. Mine does not leak. The friction fit is enough. You can get threadxslip there too.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely would be a problem not having threads on the returns. Once under pressure they will blow right off. The drains no big deals. Where did the bulkheads come from
The bulkheads I ordered from BRS. I replaced the bulkheads that came from Aqueon because those bulkheads were hose barb. The bulkheads from Aqueon are slip fitting also on the wet side.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the set up I used. Just pic your size.

My return is threadsxslip. Underneath I glued in the pvc, in the overflow I screwed in the return pvc standpipe

My drain is slipxslip. I glued underneath and press fit in the overflow. Mine does not leak. The friction fit is enough. You can get threadxslip there too.

I could glue in 2" PVC into the return bulkhead, then put a thread female/male piece with pipe to the LocLine? Or just glue the return line into the bulkhead?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkheads I ordered from BRS. I replaced the bulkheads that came from Aqueon because those bulkheads were hose barb. The bulkheads from Aqueon are slip fitting also on the wet side.

I would just grab 4 thread x slip now and swap out. You can glue them if you want, but I like the ability to remove the pipes if needed. I am not exactly sure how you are describing gluing. If you glue. I would glue the wet side like you did underneath.

My tank is 11+ years and I have changed my plumbing a few times. It also give me access for cleaning and getting and occasional jumper fish out. It has been easier to unscrew and lift out the way it is set up.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m understanding this right the pipes going into bulkheads in tank/overflow box/topside are not glued and leaking a lil. Not a problem, to be expected, and I wouldn’t glue them. On the bottom side the pipes should be glued in.
Carry on
theMeat,
What about the return pipes, if there are not glued, will the water pressure lift them out?

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just grab 4 thread x slip now and swap out. You can glue them if you want, but I like the ability to remove the pipes if needed. I am not exactly sure how you are describing gluing. If you glue. I would glue the wet side like you did underneath.

My tank is 11+ years and I have changed my plumbing a few times. It also give me access for cleaning and getting and occasional jumper fish out. It has been easier to unscrew and lift out the way it is set up.
Ok...that also changed the underneath plumbing because I will have to cut that and either replace from the unions up on the drains and the valves up (probably replacing the unions and valves to get the halves needed).

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theMeat,
What about the return pipes, if there are not glued, will the water pressure lift them out?
Don’t think it’s shooting anywhere. The water goes through the pipe. If you greatly reduce the outlet it will build some pressure, likely still fine. If you want to make sure you could glue the pipe in and put slip/thread adapter up top

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back