Did I unlock all the phosphate from 100#s of live rock?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh NOOOOOO!!!! Lots of surface agitation? how much was your dose supposed to lower Phos.? and yes, I dose right into my reef but no cloudiness

You dose right into the tank as well?

The tank only got slightly cloudy, easily see through the 6ft but I could tell something was wrong.

I added two new 1 micron socks to the DT and have a pump pushing water through it, I have to imagine it will clear fast

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed into a filter sock but it must have torn or something as my tank started clouding! My tangs are breathing heavy it seems, kinda nervous!

Stopped dosing of course and wet skimming.

People dose this right into their Tanks though right?
yup, I heard of people doing this directly on their tank and it will get cloudy for a while. How much did you dose? Hopefully it is not enough to pull down 1ppm. If your turnover rate is big it will be clear in less than 1 hour, just keep an eye on the tang.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, I heard of people doing this directly on their tank and it will get cloudy for a while. How much did you dose? Hopefully it is not enough to pull down 1ppm. If your turnover rate is big it will be clear in less than 1 hour, just keep an eye on the tang.

I was dosing enough for 1-2 ppm and I accidentally squirted in a bunch so about 5 mls maybe ( enough for 0.1ppm) I’m guessing it got through sock before reacting then reacted outside causing cloudiness

Low turnover but I placed two pumps directly in DT pumping water through two different socks should clear quick

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dose right into the tank as well?

The tank only got slightly cloudy, easily see through the 6ft but I could tell something was wrong.

I added two new 1 micron socks to the DT and have a pump pushing water through it, I have to imagine it will clear fast
Yea, I actually dose into an overflow that feeds the sump - no sock. maybe get more air into the water for the tangs? I understand it can "clog" the gills?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I actually dose into an overflow that feeds the sump - no sock. maybe get more air into the water for the tangs? I understand it can "clog" the gills?

Yes heavy aeration, tank is already clear again after 30 mins. Fish are startled from the filter socks laying in DT but I think doing ok.

What happened is the large dose passed through sock before reacting with water and then reacted outside sock. User error hopefully doesn’t cost me

D8CD48BE-4673-4AAA-A296-0D15202A5D9E.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing has returned to normal in all tangs noticeably sailfin (zebrasoma)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice alk?

Alk dropped less than 1dkh, pH drop corresponds actually with a vinegar dose I forgot about so that contributed.

Po4 is undetectable on Salifert Yikes! I wonder if the low phosphate leads to clouding when binding alk

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes heavy aeration, tank is already clear again after 30 mins. Fish are startled from the filter socks laying in DT but I think doing ok.

What happened is the large dose passed through sock before reacting with water and then reacted outside sock. User error hopefully doesn’t cost me

D8CD48BE-4673-4AAA-A296-0D15202A5D9E.jpeg
YT still looks good:)

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed into a filter sock but it must have torn or something as my tank started clouding! My tangs are breathing heavy it seems, kinda nervous!

Stopped dosing of course and wet skimming.

People dose this right into their Tanks though right?

I wouldn't dose right into the tank. if you do, you are filtering the precipitate passively, so it has time to float around and do not good stuff.
When I have dosed it it either goes right into a sand filter, or into a 10 micron filter sock that has some flow though it, but not a huge amount. I drip the lanthanum slowly. I have seen people recommend full dosing into the tank proper, but that seems nutty to me, even more so if you have never dosed it before.

I hope everything recovers

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries yes I drop into 1um sock. Bunch spilled out of dripper and got out of sock before reacting. Everybody looks good, fingers crossed for morning

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose right into the tank. if you do, you are filtering the precipitate passively, so it has time to float around and do not good stuff.
When I have dosed it it either goes right into a sand filter, or into a 10 micron filter sock that has some flow though it, but not a huge amount. I drip the lanthanum slowly. I have seen people recommend full dosing into the tank proper, but that seems nutty to me, even more so if you have never dosed it before.

I hope everything recovers
Hey Rich, Out of curiosity, what is this "do not good stuff" ? I am always looking for insight from those that know a lot more than I.
Cheers! Mark

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich, Out of curiosity, what is this "do not good stuff" ? I am always looking for insight from those that know a lot more than I.
Cheers! Mark
Reports vary from plating onto viewing surfaces to interfering with respiration to being a general irritant to general animal poor health. We really don't know though and rigorous study may be unethical. Someone may know more than I though. :D

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go ahead and dose into a 10 micron sock. What a mess!!!! Put the brand new sock in, turned around to mix up the dosing container, and when I returned, foam everywhere. I guess I should have washed the sock first? The last half hour has been spent emptying 3 overflowing skimmers. Geez I hope this is NOT toxic.
1604593742689.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back