Did music die?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there are lots of awesome musicians that play country with amazing chops, but it's a genre that I could never get in to. Probably because I was forced to listen to it at an early age. Fortunately, I was the youngest of four, so my siblings had a wide palette of music to bounce off of, that and my mom had a lot of R&B and early rock and roll vinyl that I listened to. I remember hearing James Brown for the first time as a kid, which blew me away. I can easily jump from Mastodon to Tom Jones to Led Zep, Tool, The Afghan Whigs, Jeff Buckley, B52's, Junior Brown, etc.... Music will never die, but we either change with it or simply stay in place, both of which are completely fine. Like art, it's completely relative and subjective to the listener/viewer. Keep rock'n reefers!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all genres and especially the 80's Synth sound. A catchy bass tone really gets to me. If you are a fan of the 80s sound then check out the new genre called Synthwave. It has been around for a couple years. The Midnight, Sunset Neon, etc are a couple that bring that sound back.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a lot of radio DJs as friends. We all agreed the 70s were probably the coolest decade for music because of all the genres at the time. Pop, disco, rock. Soul, funk. Country, etc. All peaked about this time. Every artist tried to put out a full album of music. Not just a one hit wonder.

I love well done music videos and consider them a respected art form, but I really think the 80s were over rated and that's when I grew up. At least in the 90s artists tried to be unique again and not one hit wonders.

Today any artist has access to the main stream via YouTube, etc. That's good. I just don't think the overall quality of music today matches the diversity and raw musicianship of the Golden period in the 70s.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 year old metalhead. I listen to a little of everything. Skynard, zztop, zeppelin, ac/dc ozzy sabbath to name some older stuff, recent good metals is getting harder to find but does exist. Latly I've been finding slightly older bands that I haven't heard before. Sometimes thanks to seriusxm.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of nightwish formed in 2006 (symphonic metal).
Epica, Unleash the archers, Delain

Edit also :mad: what's up with all this autotune crap in every single pop song you hear now:mad:

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Music isn't dead, just changed in a way I don't like. It has gone rap/pop which I don't really care to listen to. I used to listen to rap back in the 90's but today's stuff I just don't get. They (rap) just seem to try to see how many different cuss words they can get into each song. It is just weird hearing a song on the radio and thinking this makes no sense and then you find out it doesn't make sense because half the words are missing because they couldn't be played on the radio.

My wife has gotten into listening to the new music "lists" on spotify. She has found some stuff she really likes on there. She also started going to concerts which is strange for a middle aged woman. Last year she went to at least 6 concerts. It helps we are in the Dallas area. She says she loves going to them now. They are so much more intimate than the ones she went to as a teenager. Instead of standing around with 10 to 20,000 other people, there are only 500 to 1000. She took my daughter to see Hollywood Undead for her bday. She said it wasn't her type of music but said they put on a good show. Bad Wolves opened for them and that was the first time my wife heard their version of Zombie. I think she likes their version now more than the original. I think her favorite concert so far has been Marina. I have to admit, the woman has an amazing voice. Of course with all that is going on, my wife hasn't been to any concerts this year. A local radio guy said he has friends that are concert promoters and they think realistically it will be 2022 before we see normal concerts again. He said the problem is going to be getting insurance for them.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are lots of awesome musicians that play country with amazing chops, but it's a genre that I could never get in to. Probably because I was forced to listen to it at an early age. Fortunately, I was the youngest of four, so my siblings had a wide palette of music to bounce off of, that and my mom had a lot of R&B and early rock and roll vinyl that I listened to. I remember hearing James Brown for the first time as a kid, which blew me away. I can easily jump from Mastodon to Tom Jones to Led Zep, Tool, The Afghan Whigs, Jeff Buckley, B52's, Junior Brown, etc.... Music will never die, but we either change with it or simply stay in place, both of which are completely fine. Like art, it's completely relative and subjective to the listener/viewer. Keep rock'n reefers!

You were forced to listen to it. I had to go to the concerts. My dad wouldn't go with my mom so she always took me. Looking back I can say I got to see some of the great country acts from the 70's and 80's. I did get to see Elvis though I was only 6 I think. I did get to see Kenny Rogers, Dolly, Reba, Conway, George Strait and many others. It also helped my dad was buddies with the guy that ran the venue so we got to go to all the concerts for free. There were so many times I thought I was going to get detained for trying to get into the concert with an envelope with the words "Admit 2" on it and the guys signature on it. They always let me in though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back