Did music die?

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started going to pink flamingos around 2002 maybe. Then coffee talk in kaimuki was the hot place for awhile. Kind of stopped around 2007 maybe. Lose Money was one of my fave local bands. 86 list was pretty good too

no joke, I’m wearing a coffee talk shirt right now lol. And josh of 86 list in my sister’s boyfriend.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no joke, I’m wearing a coffee talk shirt right now lol. And josh of 86 list in my sister’s boyfriend.
It’s a small world isn’t it? I grew up just a few blocks away from coffee talk. Those were my stomping grounds. Josh is pretty cool. He’s playing with Black Square now? My friend texted me awhile back that Black Square is still playing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generational impact on musical tastes. Heck, my musical tastes ‘froze’ around 1985. All ‘crap’ since lol. Find myself saying the same things about the stuff my kids listen to that my parents said about the stuff I listened to. The irony has not escaped me. I’m mostly a progressive rock and jazz fusion fan, so most of the current music I buy is in those styles.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a huge AFI fan when I was growing up in Hawaii. I missed their concert sadly. (I think they came once?). AFI stopped being good after The Art of Drowning.

I grew up in the Bay Area so we saw those guys live all the time in HS. the 90s punk rock thing was really healthy here for a long while. Good times.

and agreed, I stopped paying attention after art of drowning. Sad since we followed them even before they had a full length

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in the Bay Area so we saw those guys live all the time in HS. the 90s punk rock thing was really healthy here for a long while. Good times.

and agreed, I stopped paying attention after art of drowning. Sad since we followed them even before they had a full length
Amazing. They were huge pioneers of that genre to be honest. No one was doing what they were around the time Jade Puget joined. They fused so much together and created something that was like nothing else. Black Sails in the Sunset is one of my all time favorites. I could listen to that album front to back anytime and not get bored. “If only pure sweetness was offered”

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love music from the 70’s 80’s 90’s and early 2000’s. Smashing pumpkins, The Cure, Tool, At The Drive In, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Thrice, to name a few. But I struggle to find anything in the past 10-15 years that grabs me. I have an Apple Music account and I can’t find anything to listen to. Maybe I’m getting old (probably). Did music go downhill or am I just aging? ;Meh
Nope you are correct music dies sometime in the late 90’s. There was a service but I guess you missed it. Yea it’s all crap now. Hip hop is now pop, country is now pop, and rock is now a weird blend of pop and adult contemporary garbage.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the things my folks said about my music. Yeah, I say much the same thing about this generation's noise.

Thing is... they were wrong, and I'm not. Crap the kids are listening to these days has no heart, no soul.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Music tends to advance as time goes on. Take for example metal music. Back in the 80’s-90’s, it was all about Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera etc. Each aspect of these bands was great, but probably not virtuoso-level like singular aspects of today’s music. Skip to today and metal has split off and advanced into various genres. The problem I have with many of these genres is that while they’re the pinnacle of what they are, they sound awful. Either you have unintelligible cookie monster grunting or someone screaming at the top of their lungs three seconds into a song. To some people, these aspects are marques of the genre and can’t be strayed from otherwise their hardcore followers will complain. I feel like music in general has gotten to the point where they’re “the best” versions of itself and everyone else is trying to be cookie cutter in following it. It doesn’t work for me though, because I’m looking for more than just “the best” screamer, fastest drummer, lowest tuning, or annoying and constant references to ufc.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think p!nk is one of the best at the minute, her songs always have a connection with me, she feels very true to herself. I think it would be boring if all artists did the same music for the duration of their careers, so i dont believe it dies, it just changes as they change over the course of their career.

This song from her most recent album, i believe shows theres some heart left in the music industry.
I think some other artists like Sia, imagine dragons and lady gaga are keeping the pop section from dying at least. Especially lady gaga, her new album chromatica has some pink floyd influence, or at least my friend seemed to think so, so dont hold me to that lol. You just have to listen to it a few times to understand it, i think thats the problem with a lot of new songs, they are over produced so the connection is lost, but when given time you can begin to see the true meaning and enjoy it, at least for me.

I like this song by her, its quite fun lol.

I think taylor swift is kinda noteworthy also, her songs normally have some hidding meaning which is fun to see the crazy fans decipher in the comments lol, which i think is quite creative, especially her most recent album folklore, which seems to be a reflection of her country song roots. She isnt my favourite, however i do respect her talent.

So i dont think music is dead,i guess it just depends on your taste,i know i hate a lot of main strean music, it all sounds the same at times, but sometimes theres gems worth looking into. I imagine ill be saying music is dead in 10 years or so lol.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of my favorite artists are still making music, so it's not dead for me. Mike Patton, Greg Dulli, Mark Lanegan, PJ Harvey, Beck, etc... Jake E. Lee and George Lynch are both making records still, so I get some shred time in as well. I really like listening to podcast where musicians talk about what they listen to, it's a great way to expand your musical vocabulary. That's why I love Henry Rollins, just a pure music lover, among other things.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the things my folks said about my music. Yeah, I say much the same thing about this generation's noise.

Thing is... they were wrong, and I'm not. Crap the kids are listening to these days has no heart, no soul.

The irony here is palpable. ;Joyful

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love music from the 70’s 80’s 90’s and early 2000’s. Smashing pumpkins, The Cure, Tool, At The Drive In, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Thrice, to name a few. But I struggle to find anything in the past 10-15 years that grabs me. I have an Apple Music account and I can’t find anything to listen to. Maybe I’m getting old (probably). Did music go downhill or am I just aging? ;Meh

There is still good music out there. Going off the scary kids scaring kids, i see you are into heavier music. Here is a few good more "mature" metalcore bands of today that are good.

27 million views for a metal video with heavy screaming... A lot of Lamb of God videos don't even reach that for example... IMO some of the best lyrics in the metal genre, this song is about his brother who died of cancer who was also a band member. Amazing group(especially their last album) Some of the bands below might be a little heavy for your liking, but these are some of my recommendations. I generally prefer metalcore/post hardcore to technical deathcore like Rings of Saturn, so i dont mind shooting a few different bands :)

Another good song by them, i really recommend this album.

Im not going to call SKSK emo, but they have more emotional lyrics in a lot of their songs so i think youll understand what i mean, this band does something similar with their music.

If you want to give a chick metalcore band a go, Maria Brink can sing her butt off, both cleans and screams.

Killswitch Engange is amazing.

Motionless in White is pretty good as well, they change their style up a bit throughout albums, they have heavy, soft, and like gothic metal lol.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back