Did my fish get shocked/electrocuted?

thekoralqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night my AI Prime (first gen) fell into the tank. It was in for a brief second, 2 seconds at most before I yanked it out. I did not feel a shock then and a day later I still do not. However my yellow tang and hippo tang are hiding and the hippo tang is hiding and swimming as if she doesn’t know which way up is (if forced to come out of hiding). I have other fish including other tangs and a mixed reef. Everything else is fine and happy other than those 2. Can anyone help? Is it a shock from the lights? Is there a way to help them?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more a shock of fear from the splash and the entering of the fixture, "what the heck is that weird creature, we're dying".

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Harold999; they may also be sensitive to contaminants on the fixture. I'd say if you didn't feel a shock, then your fish didn't either. In fact, I do not think you can electrically shock a tank's inhabitants, except in the case where the electrodes are far apart, like a fluorescent tube.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, I do not think you can electrically shock a tank's inhabitants, except in the case where the electrodes are far apart, like a fluorescent tube.
Correct. I had a shattered UV bulb once (a big one, 38 watts or so). I found out when i stuck my hand in the tank and got shocked. My fish were swimming around like nothing goin on.
I think it's because tankwater isn't grounded. If you would ground it everything will be dead.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. I had a shattered UV bulb once (a big one, 38 watts or so). I found out when i stuck my hand in the tank and got shocked. My fish were swimming around like nothing goin on.
I think it's because tankwater isn't grounded. If you would ground it everything will be dead.
Right! You were probably grounded when you touched the tank water. I've seen other discussions here where something plugged in and intentionally immersed in the tank (heater, pump, etc.) shocked users but there was probably something haywire with the equipment.

OP
OP
thekoralqueen

thekoralqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light itself was able to be saved and seems to be running fine. I cleaned it up dried it off and ran it the next day with no issues. I believe this may be a second hand issue with the coincidence of symptoms and signs showing right after the light fell in. I added a Blue Hippo Tang about 1.5 months ago. Other than that I’ve had all the other fish for 6+ months. I believe the Hippo got Brooklynella and gave it to my yellow tang. Unfortunately the Hippo is looking rough and she has wedged herself into the rocks and I can’t get her out or see her the way my tank is set up. Caught the yellow and made a QT system. This will be night #1 for the yellow. Added paraguard and getting copper power tomorrow. 20g Long, heater, hang on back filter, and a small wave maker. If anyone has any other suggestions for the QT all help is appreciated. Yellow T is looking rough but seems to be fighting. Just hoping it will try and eat tomorrow, going on 2-3 days now without eating.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So last night my AI Prime (first gen) fell into the tank. It was in for a brief second, 2 seconds at most before I yanked it out. I did not feel a shock then and a day later I still do not. However my yellow tang and hippo tang are hiding and the hippo tang is hiding and swimming as if she doesn’t know which way up is (if forced to come out of hiding). I have other fish including other tangs and a mixed reef. Everything else is fine and happy other than those 2. Can anyone help? Is it a shock from the lights? Is there a way to help them?
No I’m sure they are just startled! An electrocution would cause sparks etc. and should trigger the circuit breaker.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back