Did my kid ruin my rodi?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have my 4 stage Brs rodi hooked up in a bathroom no one uses with a faucet diverted and had it so water goes to the rodi. The system was off, seems my kid went in and turn the hot water on.

So hot water (like 110*) ran through for about 3 hours. Any issues ? Are all the filters toast? How would I know? This is my first rodi and ive probably made about 100g of water since I purchased it.

At least the output lines were in my tub...

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have my 4 stage Brs rodi hooked up in a bathroom no one uses with a faucet diverted and had it so water goes to the rodi. The system was off, seems my kid went in and turn the hot water on.

So hot water (like 110*) ran through for about 3 hours. Any issues ? Are all the filters toast? How would I know? This is my first rodi and ive probably made about 100g of water since I purchased it.

Do you have a TDS meter on the inlet/ outlet of the RO membrane ?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The heat probably damaged the membrane, I would replace it. The carbon blocks may be okay. The deionizing resin should be okay, but may have depleted a little, faster than normal.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 110 F I would say most likely not. But....I'd verify with TDS meter...ideally post membrane and post DI resin....a dual inline meter.

OP
OP
Burrito

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check the dual tds meter results in the morning. In general is that how I would know when it’s time to replace? Is there visually anything to look at besides the number?

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check the dual tds meter results in the morning. In general is that how I would know when it’s time to replace? Is there visually anything to look at besides the number?

I get about 99+% rejection. Today, inlet was 355 and outlet was 1. So, 354/355 x 100% = 99.7% rejection.

Your membrane should give you 98% or better.

OP
OP
Burrito

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my tds reads about 15 inlet and 0 outlet. does 15 sound low? compared to the 355/1 above..

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me make sure we're clear.....15 TDS is your raw water number out of the tap, or your number after the membrane? I'm assuming zero is after DI.

If that 15 is after the membrane, test your raw water number to make sure your membrane is knocking down your TDS by about 98 percent of better. That will tell you if you've cooked the membrane.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my tds reads about 15 inlet and 0 outlet. does 15 sound low? compared to the 355/1 above..

Oh [emoji19]

I doubt your raw water is 15TDS. I’m guessing that is the RO product water. Most units with only two TDS probes measure just before the DI canister and right after.

15 does sound high unless your feed water has like 800 TDS.

Let us know.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably toast, IMO. But look up the filters you use and see what their temperature rating is....then you'll know for sure. Call the manufacturer for the answers if you have to.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not hook it up to your cold water line with a valve on it. You’ll be able to use your sink anytime without worry and it would be impossible to cook your rodi.

Here’s one, I’m sure there are a bunch of different ones you could get:

Express Water RO Feed Adapter Valve Quick Connect for Undersink Reverse Osmosis System Fits Both 3/8" & 1/2" Connection LEAD FREE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX4Q2V8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IBMmBbHJQYGD5

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally turned the hot water on my vertex 200 gallon unit for probably at least 12 hours .The Ro membrains still worked but it took a lot longer to get good water and the water was so hot that the prefilter canister and carbon canister Actually swelled up and has to be replacedl

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh [emoji19]

I doubt your raw water is 15TDS. I’m guessing that is the RO product water. Most units with only two TDS probes measure just before the DI canister and right after.

15 does sound high unless your feed water has like 800 TDS.

Let us know.

And I thought 31 was good... :(

5C5870A3-C25A-4658-B32C-D72D05BEDED2.jpeg

82710D2A-D3EA-4B32-BDE9-BBCE5E7FA376.jpeg

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that after RO or before????

Not sure, I honestly just walked over and took a picture for the thread. It's a "brs 199 standard" if that makes any sense to you. Too lazy to link to it, but it's the $199 version brs sells.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back