Did my Ulva go sexual?

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some Ulva to my sump fuge and it has generally done very poorly. However, a few weeks ago I start noticing green specs on the back glass of the display. Over time I realized that they are tiny Ulva! Assuming this is the case, I didn't realize that ulva would "Stick" to things to grow.
IMG_2168.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some Ulva to my sump fuge and it has generally done very poorly. However, a few weeks ago I start noticing green specs on the back glass of the display. Over time I realized that they are tiny Ulva! Assuming this is the case, I didn't realize that ulva would "Stick" to things to grow.
IMG_2168.jpg
Yes, you got it right. Ulva can sexually reproduce and result in attached seaweed. Mine has gotten rather randy for some reason and regularly clouds the water, bur the “babies” don’t have a chance with 15 large Mexican turbo snails. Occassionaly one these brutes will have a small Ulva on its shell.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you got it right. Ulva can sexually reproduce and result in attached seaweed. Mine has gotten rather randy for some reason and regularly clouds the water, bur the “babies” don’t have a chance with 15 large Mexican turbo snails. Occassionaly one these brutes will have a small Ulva on its shell.
Will it detach and float at some point or just continue to grow attached?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should stay attached unless something removes it by force- fish picking at it, high flow hitting it and it not having a great grip, etc. -Raven

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it stays attached until it rips away from the rhizomes, though what’s left behind should grow. I never read too deeply about its lifecycle.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly, Ulva releases spores when it’s stressed (ex. under low nutrients).
Here in California, we usually find Ulva floating around in the current, but some species like Ulva californica and Ulva intestinalis are more commonly found with a holdfast (attached to rocks).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back