Did you ever work at a LFS or PEt Store?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fsu1dolfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Did you ever work at a LFS or Pet Store??

  • Yes, I use to.

    Votes: 49 37.1%
  • Yes, Still am today.

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • No, Never did and rather the pros do it.

    Votes: 26 19.7%
  • No, Wish i did!!

    Votes: 37 28.0%

  • Total voters
    132
My very first job. I remember having to get written permission from school, I think, to allow it due to my age. And all through until 2nd year in college, when I started working in labs.
 
I work at my lfs when im needed,I guess you could say part time job.

Just this past week a woman came in and said oooooooo what is that,I said a gonipora,she said what do they do,I said they are corals most are sessile but they will grow(had to be really basic),and then she said Sarah come in here!(made up name forgot the other womans name) we need to get this for the tank,and Sarah came in holding goldfish,and I had to explain why corals could not go in saltwater,but they didnt get it

I understand she knew absolutly nothing about SW but it is just those type questions that I cant help but to laugh in my mind
 
Last edited:
I used to work at the LFS,I did the orders for the store,I still help any local stores who need help setting up SW systems.They all have my number,and when they need someone,I get a phone call.

Its been fun,but I must say,I have hated it many times!Its been a while,but I can remember when we would get orders all DOA,it was awful,and there was nothing we could do.

I think there are 2 things I hate the most.1)The fact I would get phone calls from people who are screaming at me wondering why this or that died,and 2)Getting phone calls at 4 am in the morning saying I need help my pump just blew up...
 
Yes, my first day was sorting all the grain sacks out in the warehouse according of type of animal feed... I worked 5 hours lifting 80 lb sacks of grain in the middle of summer, it sucked. They only had FW fish at that time and I was heavily into it so I spent almost as much as I earned.
 
Very surprising numbers on this poll!

Agreed. I had a feeling a decent amount of people here where some how linked to LFSs. Love hearing the stories and experiences that other people have had. A lot of them remind me of my old job.
 
I worked at Petco for a year or so for extra cash. I hated it. I actually had people complain to the manager when I told them they could not have a fish in their tanks. Well I never actually told them they could not have it but I did tell them their tank would be to small or it will kill other fish. One lady told the manager I should be fired. She has had freshwater fish for 25 years and a 3" oscar would live for years in her 20 gallon tank and it would never eat any of the other fish in her tank. Ohh and I was lieing about my oscar being 13". They never get that big. Well I guess this lady complained alot to the manager all the time about everyone that worked there. He actually had me show the lady a picture of my oscar I had on my phone in his 75 gallon tank and told her yes they get that big. It was great. So "that punk kid back in aquatics" (me) actually knew what he was talking about.
 
I used to work in a LFS myself and the most dreaded complaint I would get would be...the water you sold me killed all my fish...mind you this is NSW. I also used to hate people coming in with their Iphones and checking prices and saying this or that particular item is $2 or $3 dollars cheaper online not realizing they had to pay shipping...duh
 
Why did all my fish that I bought at wal-mart die the day after I bought the tank and put them in?
 
the best question i ever got was "what do you mean salt water?" or "oh snap, a chinese water dragon, does that really breathe fire?"
 
work at an lfs. dumbest question i have heard was "so how many cartridges come in a six pack?" took me forever to stop laughing, kinda fealt bad. best thing is getting to be there when the shippments come in. cherry picking is the best!
 
i still work at the LFS here in Watsonville ca. My memories are adding up daily and to this day. My worst memory was when i came in and all the feeder goldfish in a tank died from electrocution. (about 2000 feeders.) my best memories is every day when i walk in and see my 6 yr old Vlamingii's surgeon in our 300 surge tank. Ive had him since he was 2", hes now pushing 14".:bigsmile:
 
i still work at the LFS here in Watsonville ca. My memories are adding up daily and to this day. My worst memory was when i came in and all the feeder goldfish in a tank died from electrocution. (about 2000 feeders.) my best memories is every day when i walk in and see my 6 yr old Vlamingii's surgeon in our 300 surge tank. Ive had him since he was 2", hes now pushing 14".:bigsmile:

Sounds like an amazing LFS. 300 gallon surge... Let's see some pics or vids. Wish I had something like that at my store!!
 
I still work at the local reef shop but just on Sundays, Im in the process of getting phased out when my replacement gets trained but I will still work when ever someone needs a day off during the weekend. This way I still get my discounts and have the perks of being an employee. It has definitley been a great learning experience thats for sure.
 
Used to be a manager at a fish store (Saltwater only) almost 5-6 years ago. Sooo many memories, it's difficult to remember just one.

- I had a customer come in furious that her Nemos keep dying. I spent about 30 minutes going over her set up (Wasn't bought from us), but was surprised to find that technically the equipment should have been fine. She even waited a month before putting anything into the tank! At long last I asked what brand of salt she used in the tank (Oceanic at the time were having bad batches). Her reply? Morton's! :xd:
 
Used to be a manager at a fish store (Saltwater only) almost 5-6 years ago. Sooo many memories, it's difficult to remember just one.

- I had a customer come in furious that her Nemos keep dying. I spent about 30 minutes going over her set up (Wasn't bought from us), but was surprised to find that technically the equipment should have been fine. She even waited a month before putting anything into the tank! At long last I asked what brand of salt she used in the tank (Oceanic at the time were having bad batches). Her reply? Morton's! :xd:

OMG Mortons Salt...That is hilarious. Yeah sometimes i wonder how people can just do things without researching a little, at least.

Numbers still climbing and above 50 percent...I'm pretty amazed with the amount of current and past LFS employees!
 
I use to work at one of the LFS here. But only for the last few months it was open.

Not long after I started helping out the owner got an incredible (steady) work offer that would have been dumb NOT to take. So he went into "store closing" mode and closed the doors about 3 months after I started.
 
yes.

best is responding to the question of "where do you get your fish?" as "the ocean!"...

worst... pulling dead fish... or dealing with customers who have no clue what they're doing and have no desire to research/learn for themselves.

lol, i worked for a fresh wholesaler. I have pulled 2 1-gallon buckets of dead fish in one morning before. You get used to the smell quickly :)
 
I used to work in the pet care department of a major chain. Loved being around all the animals, but cleaning was never ending.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new