Did your fairy wrasse do this?

Is that a platinum clownfish I see in the tank?
Snowcasso's... :)
[youtube]vlXzmskBE6M[/youtube]

06-12-09SnowC3.jpg
 
alright guys... this boy won't stop attacking himself... I have tried to put a lamp directly in front of the glass but I guess it's not enough... I cannot find a female Rhomboid locally... :(

his lips are starting to look funny so I just turned off the lights again and the lights have only been on less than an hour... normally, when I throw food in the tank, he's the first one to grab some but today, he was more focus on attacking his reflection...

for those that have experienced this in the past, did you guys do anything to decrease this behavior? right now, the only way I combat this is to turn off the lights... I have only had the lights on for a few hours a day for the past few days... am I risking the health of my corals?

Thanks again...
 
Is he only doing it on a certain pane of the tank? You can try and decrease the amount of light hitting the pane by shading the top edge of the tank on that side. Something like a 3" strip of wood, etc. along the top edge. You can do the same all the way around, but it might be the way the light reflects off one side in particular that's causing the problems.
 
Is he only doing it on a certain pane of the tank? You can try and decrease the amount of light hitting the pane by shading the top edge of the tank on that side. Something like a 3" strip of wood, etc. along the top edge. You can do the same all the way around, but it might be the way the light reflects off one side in particular that's causing the problems.
he is doing it on all sides of the tank... :( :( :(

I can only have the lights on for about an hour, then he starts acting up... I'm worried that it's not getting any better... I think I'll have to pick up a female or two so he can focus his energy somewhere else... I will also try to somehow dim the sides of the glass so he does not see his reflection too much...
 
he is doing it on all sides of the tank... :( :( :(

I can only have the lights on for about an hour, then he starts acting up... I'm worried that it's not getting any better... I think I'll have to pick up a female or two so he can focus his energy somewhere else... I will also try to somehow dim the sides of the glass so he does not see his reflection too much...

That's what I figured. Try a shade strip along the rim to keep the direct light off of the glass. A nice byproduct is that you'll have less algae growing on the glass as well:bigsmile:
 
That's what I figured. Try a shade strip along the rim to keep the direct light off of the glass. A nice byproduct is that you'll have less algae growing on the glass as well:bigsmile:
I'm willing to try anything at this point... I just feel bad for the stud... :(
 
I would also try taping paper or a background to the sides of the tank till he gets used to his new enviroment, I know this worked for a buddy when his breeding clowns would attack there reflection, good luck on your search for a female. Hopefull you'll have on friday. :wink:
 
Did your fairy wrasse start attacking him/her self after seeing their own reflection on the glass? I recently brought home an awesome Golden Rhomboid to be housed on the 110g... he was out and about as soon as the lights turned on... (good tip btw: when introducing new fish, try to introduce when the lights are off, my lights don't turn on until 5 pm)... he eats like a pig and try to established dominance among the other fishes right away... so far, his only competition is the Male HI Flame wrasse I moved from the 28g... they are about the same size but they don't fuss at all... seems like both are more worried about their reflection.. I see the HI Flame flash at himself once in a while but I think he's used to it from the 28g... anyway, bottom line is.. I don't turn on the lights anymore unless I'm home to observe the Rhomboid.. I'm scared he might bust his lips and develop an infection... I picked him up last Friday... I'm really hoping he stops attacking himself... :( any suggestions besides turning off the lights is appreciated... Thanks... :)

I have a Melanaurus Wrasse that started displaying that behavior after three years in my tank. I woke up one morning and saw him beat to crap and my Sohal Tang on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy.

The Sohal passed away and the Wrasse survived. I'm guessing they were fighting.?? The Wrasse is now fully healed and not displaying that behavior anymore. Very strange.

The behavior was identical to that in your video. Attacking the glass.

:squigglemouth:
 
well, the lights were on for 5-6 hours tonight and I didn't see him flash or attack his reflection tonight... just weird... I'm not really sure if he's past it already... I hope so... wish me luck...
 
WeLL... after doing my 1st water change today... he's at it again... started attacking the glass again out of no where... I had to turn off the lights early for today... hopefully, it's just a fluke and he'll be back to NoRMAL tomorrow... he's been so good the past week....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new