Difference in Atlantic Blue Tangs?

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 93 gallon cube aquarium that is going to be mixed reef and was starting to select fish. I am a little underwhelmed with Bristletooth tangs other than the white tail but it costs $200 plus dollars. So I did another check on zebrasoma and came across this on Saltwaterfish dot com:

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-atlantic-blue-tang

Horrible picture but it says the minimum tank size is 75 gallons. Liveaquria has it at 180 gallons:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=328

Is there more than one Atlantic Blue Tang or Caribbean Tang? This would be perfect for my 90 gallon tank and has amazing color that the Bristletooth Tangs seem to lack. At least the Bristletooth tangs I have seen so far that are affordable. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as your question is concerned, No there is only 1 Atlantic blue tang.

As for proper sized tank I would put them in the 180 range since they can get well over a foot. Now for suggestions, have you looked at the blue eyed bristletooth ( Ctenochaetus binotatus)? Or the tomini (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)? If not either of those you could always go with any of the Acanthurus mimic tangs, pyroferus, tristis, or chronixis. Then of course there are the 2 main Zebrasoma that are affordable yellow, scopas and the slightly more expensive purple. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as your question is concerned, No there is only 1 Atlantic blue tang.

As for proper sized tank I would put them in the 180 range since they can get well over a foot. Now for suggestions, have you looked at the blue eyed bristletooth ( Ctenochaetus binotatus)? Or the tomini (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)? If not either of those you could always go with any of the Acanthurus mimic tangs, pyroferus, tristis, or chronixis. Then of course there are the 2 main Zebrasoma that are affordable yellow, scopas and the slightly more expensive purple. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much. I somehow missed those acanthurus. I really like the mimic tang and it seems to be the smallest of the group. The bristletooth tangs just seem to be so inconsistent with color and underwhelming.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like that when happy. Very striking fish in person. One of the best clean up crew you can get IMO. Eats fish poop and detritus all day.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can surprise you. I was put off by yellow tangs which looked gaunt and pale to me. But my yellow tang filled out nicely and has vibrant color. My Kole tang is a very dark purple. Given a good diet and good living conditions, fish will generally get as vibrantly colored as their species markings allow.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone really appreciate the input. If I can find a white tail for a deal I will go with that otherwise I will be getting the Kole. The pictures on google are amazing and if I can get one half that vibrant I will be well pleased. I just know a zebrasoma will get too big and I won't be able to talk the wife into a 180 for several years or until the kids get out of college. I am hoping because she is a photographer that she gets hooked and lets me get a 180 sooner than planned. LOL. She was very disappointed when I told her no Dory.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a BT they can be hard to get eating. Mine took about a week before it would eat prepared foods. Be sure you have some film algae growing on at least the back glass of the tank.

I got mine to eat algae wafers first so don't be afraid to try those and don't get caught up in nori. Mine eats it now but it took some training.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a BT they can be hard to get eating. Mine took about a week before it would eat prepared foods. Be sure you have some film algae growing on at least the back glass of the tank.

I got mine to eat algae wafers first so don't be afraid to try those and don't get caught up in nori. Mine eats it now but it took some training.
I actually have a new tank. It's a 90 cube that's been cycled for a few months but marineland tank warranties have kept me busy. I just finished a QT tank was planning on feeding the Kole and a flame angel nori and mysis. It's typical 10 gal QT.

sailor moon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and don't know how to post a new feed. Sorry if I posted in a wrong page.

I have a 29 gal tank and today..my blood shrimp disappeared and..I think my bubble tip anemone ate it.
I would like to know is it possible the anemone will eat a blood shrimp?

They've been together for 3 months...

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cuz you seem to be on a mission to get one I'm gonna drop a pic of mine.

IMG_0066.JPG

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole are brown fish. There is no such thing as a purple one sorry to rain on the kole parade here. Maybe it's the heavy blue LED light. Either way, Kole and other bt tangs rasp algae and detritus from the surface. A kole in a qt tank is basically starving for however long you have it in there so make sure you get one with food weight on it if you still insist on buying a brown fish.
I'd stick with your first plan of the Atlantic Blue Tang. They do not get even close to 12" in captivity. If you started with a 2.5 inch it would easily be five years before the fish needed to be rehomed if that. All the mimic Tang turn into brown turds too.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole are brown fish. There is no such thing as a purple one sorry to rain on the kole parade here. Maybe it's the heavy blue LED light. Either way, Kole and other bt tangs rasp algae and detritus from the surface. A kole in a qt tank is basically starving for however long you have it in there so make sure you get one with food weight on it if you still insist on buying a brown fish.
I'd stick with your first plan of the Atlantic Blue Tang. They do not get even close to 12" in captivity. If you started with a 2.5 inch it would easily be five years before the fish needed to be rehomed if that. All the mimic Tang turn into brown turds too.
That white tail however is gorgeous.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not brown. They have light greyish blue pattern on top of a dark blue body with yellow accents on the tail and around the eye.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tangs look amazing when they are healthy and displaying normal colours, they look dull and drab in most LFS but once they are well fed and settled they look amazing. Quite underrated imo along with vampire tangs, lavender tangs and convict tangs.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back