Difference in Atlantic Blue Tangs?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 93 gallon cube aquarium that is going to be mixed reef and was starting to select fish. I am a little underwhelmed with Bristletooth tangs other than the white tail but it costs $200 plus dollars. So I did another check on zebrasoma and came across this on Saltwaterfish dot com:

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-atlantic-blue-tang

Horrible picture but it says the minimum tank size is 75 gallons. Liveaquria has it at 180 gallons:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=328

Is there more than one Atlantic Blue Tang or Caribbean Tang? This would be perfect for my 90 gallon tank and has amazing color that the Bristletooth Tangs seem to lack. At least the Bristletooth tangs I have seen so far that are affordable. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do NOT order from that place!!! They don't even house the fish they sell. They just post what a distributor has and drop ships it.

I said this on another thread, but I ordered a 3" Magnificent Foxface from them. What arrived was a 7" adult that had "3 inch Foxface" written on the bag. They ignored my emails that they sent the wrong fish and that I cannot house that size fish now.

I was forced to open a Paypal dispute. They immediately responded to me then. Saying they were working on relocating the fish I paid $150 for, and would get me a smaller one, but ONLY if I dropped the dispute. I explained that you ignored my emails and once you cancel a dispute, it cannot be reopened, leaving me with no recourse. Paypal gives 10 days for you to rectify the situation and only requires an updated tracking number as proof.

I explained all this to them and they didn't even give it a single day. They refunded my money and left me stuck with the fish I couldn't house. They don't give a crap about the animals they sell and just play middle man. The worst part is that they still had the 3" fish listed for sale on their site, but told me they couldn't find anything under 5 inches.

They are located in either Florida or California and the fish was sent from the opposite of those 2 states that they're located, if that makes sense. So if they're in Florida, it came from California.

Very dishonest people. If you already ordered from them, I hope you don't have a problem. I even left a negative review on their site and they took it down. So any reviews you see are cherry picked, or fake.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as your question is concerned, No there is only 1 Atlantic blue tang.

As for proper sized tank I would put them in the 180 range since they can get well over a foot. Now for suggestions, have you looked at the blue eyed bristletooth ( Ctenochaetus binotatus)? Or the tomini (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)? If not either of those you could always go with any of the Acanthurus mimic tangs, pyroferus, tristis, or chronixis. Then of course there are the 2 main Zebrasoma that are affordable yellow, scopas and the slightly more expensive purple. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the list of smaller tangs. I'm keeping a copy.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dull brown bristle tooth...
20170806-195040_Canon EOS REBEL T2i-LA_IMG_4196.jpg
This one came from Diver Den. He began eating that evening. Spent a month in QT with CP. A pig from the start and is still a pig. He is lazy, does very few "Tang" duties. Just begs for food. Not terribly aggressive but still a tang.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back