Difference in Preference: Do you prefer bigger or smaller tanks? Why?

Do you prefer bigger tanks or smaller tanks? Why?

  • The bigger the tank, the better it is!

    Votes: 72 73.5%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

    Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 12 12.2%

  • Total voters
    98
I have always wanted a bigger tank, regardless of the tank I've currently got. Right now I've got a 300DD but would love to have something with a footprint of 8' x 3'... probably right around 400 gal or so. Anything bigger than that would really push me way up the exponential cost curve and require a lot more space and resources than I would want. The good and bad news is that it would be VERY challenging to get anything that big into my basement. So it means I keep the 300DD which isn't a bad situation.

Bottom line: bigger is better, but only to a point.
 
I guess i really need to know what is considered small and Large. Large for me would be 120 (which i had at one time). Small is what i currently have which is 35. The main difference for me is easier maintenance. One 5 gallon water change per week is simple and effective in a small tank. You break your back with something larger like a 120 gallon. Yes i know you can invest in automatic water changes but i'm just trying to live simple LOL.
 
Last edited:
They both have their own aesthetic as well as pros and cons. I think a fully stocked mature nano is beautiful in way larger systems just aren’t. Small tanks are also a bit more intimate as far as care goes, such as feeding fish individually.
Stability is not nearly as difficult as some say. A properly setup ATO and temp controller make it very simple.
 
33gal to 300gal, with 4 in the middle. Really enjoying my 33 gal now, but bigger is nice too, but never going big again.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new