Differences in what region a fish comes from

BRSBrokeMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at fish to purchase for my reef tank and was wandering after looking at the fire fish on live aquaria
They have the option in what country the fish is from what does that mean are there differences in the looks or size of the fish
I have herd that all fish from Fiji are brighter colored that fish from other locations
Can anyone shed some light on this for me
Thanks

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the color variations are definitely different, not sure if that means Fiji fish are always brighter. Also, it can be an indication of whether the fish was caught using cyanide. Its illegal in some countries but not others. In some cases fish caught by using cyanide may experience difficulties several weeks later, even death without obvious reasons.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say all fish from Fiji are brighter but there are absolutely differences in coloration depending on where they were taken. Some areas provide better coloration for certain species but they’re not easily accessed so they don’t make their way into the hobby very often.

One of my favorite examples is the Regal Angel. Specimens collected from the Red Sea have very vivid coloration whereas Indo specimens are a little more pale

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, Fiji doesn’t use cyanide. Walt Smith is the exporter there, and he is a strong net collector user. American Samoa is similar. The primary cyanide regions are Indonesia, Philippines, with Eritrea, Cook Islands and Vietnam being suspect.
My long term cyanide studies indicate that almost all of the mortality from this happens in the first 45 days upon arrival in the US.
Jay
Oh have you personally had any experiences with cyanide caught fish? If so which species were they and where were they collected? Sucks that it’s still a thing.
Zionas,
This is a quote from a post in a different thread concerning continuing use of cyanide..

I've had a couple of suspicious fish deaths that make me think this could have been the cause. Last summer I got a Coral Beauty dwarf angelfish sourced from Indonesia that was beautiful, eating well, very active, the star of the tank. After 3 weeks, overnight she became very sluggish, started hiding, stopped eating and died in 2 days. No way to confirm this was due to cyanide but no other fish in the tank had any symptoms of any illness, no similar behavior. Instant death is hard to identify cause, particularly when no other indicators. Thing is, I replaced the coral beauty with another and exactly the same thing happened again. At that time I also go a bi-color dwarf. The two swam together and got along fine until the Coral Beauty died. Its been 3 months since and the bi-color is still alive and healthy as ever. So, I'll never know for sure.....

OP
OP
BRSBrokeMe

BRSBrokeMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the color variations are definitely different, not sure if that means Fiji fish are always brighter. Also, it can be an indication of whether the fish was caught using cyanide. Its illegal in some countries but not others. In some cases fish caught by using cyanide may experience difficulties several weeks later, even death without obvious reasons.
Do you know what what location are known for using cyanide seems people wouldn’t buy from those locations

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at fish to purchase for my reef tank and was wandering after looking at the fire fish on live aquaria
They have the option in what country the fish is from what does that mean are there differences in the looks or size of the fish
I have herd that all fish from Fiji are brighter colored that fish from other locations
Can anyone shed some light on this for me
Thanks
It’s more just a way for them to keep track of the fish they got from their suppliers. Sometimes the same fish from a different region will cost more because of shipping/export reasons.

If there are physical differences it will(should) note that, but generally it’s just for their record keeping

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sad what people would do to make a quick buck. I’d be willing to go to great lengths, if I had the power, to force them to adopt good collection methods, or risk sending in teams from Western countries (and pay them much more) to collect properly.

Their livelihoods are the issue of their governments, we just want healthy fish.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sad what people would do to make a quick buck. I’d be willing to go to great lengths, if I had the power, to force them to adopt good collection methods, or risk sending in teams from Western countries (and pay them much more) to collect properly.

Their livelihoods are the issue of their governments, we just want healthy fish.
The governments in those areas are actively trying to ban cyanide fishing but it seems as if the locals are not willing to comply. I agree that the practice needs to end. It’s not worth jeopardizing livestock

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any personal experiences with cyanide caught fish?
None that immediately stand out. When I worked at an LFS we would occasionally get shipments where certain species wouldn’t make it which could have been attributed to cyanide. Only thing that specifically comes to mind is we received an adult crosshatch trigger that was blind. Cyanide poisoning seems like it made sense since a blind fish would likely not have survived very long in the wild

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a fisherman uses cyanide, he will most likely use it for all the fish he catches, not just some, since he is unlikely to target just one species on a dive.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back