Different methods to raise nitrates

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ! I am currently in a spot I never thought I’d reach, I am low on nitrates ! My nitrates are right at 0 with my phosphates at .06 ppm. I have ordered some Brightwell Aquatics Neo Nitro and am going to give it a shot and see how that goes ! I wanted to ask you guys, what different methods of dosing nitrates are there? I’ve seen potassium nitrates and sodium nitrates, what do you guys dose ? Also, is it true as nitrates rise, phosphates fall ? Oil someone explain the process ? Thank you guys I hope this thread helps many others as well !

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's the 'natural' way, which is to just feed more. Another 'natural' way is to add more fish (more fish means more poop means more nitrogen cycle.)
I agree ! I ordered Neo Nitro two days ago, however, I’m thinking about heading to the LFS and purchasing a third fish for my 20 gallon reef. Might hold on the dose however I’m curious as to the methods you guys approach!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I zeroed out my nitrates and phosphates last week. I've been feeding like mad since discovering, I've also reduced my skimmer time. Today I tested 4ppm nitrates and .04 phosphates. Pretty successful, but I know just one anecdote.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I zeroed out my nitrates and phosphates last week. I've been feeding like mad since discovering, I've also reduced my skimmer time. Today I tested 4ppm nitrates and .04 phosphates. Pretty successful, but I know just one anecdote.
glad to hear ! I only have two clowns and two hammer corals in my 20 gallon, I might start feeding twice a day with my clowns and broadcast feeding the two corals to let some of the reef roofs breakdown in the water !

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally have to add nitrates to my tank and for the last few years I've been using a solution from potassium nitrate (stump remover). I've just recently bought a bag of sodium nitrate on the advice from Randy Holmes Farley, but I haven't used it yet. The only problem with potassium nitrate is that the potassium levels in your tank will increase over time, ecspecially if you don't do regular water changes.
If you have 0 nitrates, when you add nitrates it may lower your phosphates. The reason is that the organisms that consume nitrates also consume phosphates at the same time. If nitrate is 0 then it can't use either. Once you dose nitrates back up it starts consuming both again, which can lower phosphates. This usually gets referred to as being nitrate limited, because the low nitrate stops the tank from consuming phosphate as well.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally have to add nitrates to my tank and for the last few years I've been using a solution from potassium nitrate (stump remover). I've just recently bought a bag of sodium nitrate on the advice from Randy Holmes Farley, but I haven't used it yet. The only problem with potassium nitrate is that the potassium levels in your tank will increase over time, ecspecially if you don't do regular water changes.
If you have 0 nitrates, when you add nitrates it may lower your phosphates. The reason is that the organisms that consume nitrates also consume phosphates at the same time. If nitrate is 0 then it can't use either. Once you dose nitrates back up it starts consuming both again, which can lower phosphates. This usually gets referred to as being nitrate limited, because the low nitrate stops the tank from consuming phosphate as well.
Oh okay, this makes a million times sense. Sounds good, I purchase some Brightwell NeoNitro which I’m planning on dosing up to 5 ppm as I have only euphyllia in my reef and plan on purchasing 10 new euphyllia frags soon. I skipped through 2 water changes in hopes of my nitrates rising with no luck at all, now my reef looks detritus heavy haha. Definitely makes sense as to why the phosphates rise, thank you for the knowledge. Do you have an idea how much nitrate I can safely add each day and how often to test ? Also how often do you dose nitrates ?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay, this makes a million times sense. Sounds good, I purchase some Brightwell NeoNitro which I’m planning on dosing up to 5 ppm as I have only euphyllia in my reef and plan on purchasing 10 new euphyllia frags soon. I skipped through 2 water changes in hopes of my nitrates rising with no luck at all, now my reef looks detritus heavy haha. Definitely makes sense as to why the phosphates rise, thank you for the knowledge. Do you have an idea how much nitrate I can safely add each day and how often to test ? Also how often do you dose nitrates ?
The best answer I can give on how much you can raise it at one time is that I add it to my tank and go up several ppm all with one dose. I usually dose when I see nitrates hit 1 and I'll dose it back up to a little under 5. I would personally dose it up to 5 at one time but I won't say for a fact that it's safe to do. The more often you test the better, I was testing 2 or 3 times per week, but as I've increased bio load in the tank I don't add nitrates very often and I only test once per week now. I only add nitrates to my tank about once per week, or maybe a little less, at one point I was adding it several times a week.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best answer I can give on how much you can raise it at one time is that I add it to my tank and go up several ppm all with one dose. I usually dose when I see nitrates hit 1 and I'll dose it back up to a little under 5. I would personally dose it up to 5 at one time but I won't say for a fact that it's safe to do. The more often you test the better, I was testing 2 or 3 times per week, but as I've increased bio load in the tank I don't add nitrates very often and I only test once per week now. I only add nitrates to my tank about once per week, or maybe a little less, at one point I was adding it several times a week.
Makes sense ! Thank you for that info ! Definitely planning on adding more fish to my 20 gallon. I was planning out maybe a pink line wrasse, it’s just the QT that I hate with a passion haha. I’ll definitely keep testing frequently, perhaps daily the first few days to ensure I get the right amount of nitrates. Thanks once again on the knowledge ! Knowledge is power !

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree ! I ordered Neo Nitro two days ago, however, I’m thinking about heading to the LFS and purchasing a third fish for my 20 gallon reef. Might hold on the dose however I’m curious as to the methods you guys approach!

MY recommendation is to dose food or reagent grade sodium nitrate. Cheap, easy, and gives full control of the dose without impacting anything else significant.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY recommendation is to dose food or reagent grade sodium nitrate. Cheap, easy, and gives full control of the dose without impacting anything else significant.
I ordered some Neo nitro, however next time I’ll for sure give that a try. I found some on Amazon for $15 for a 5 pound bag, I bet that would last me an eternity haha.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s why I’m worried about my nitrates, ever since a month ago, I over did my water changes and took out way too much nitrates. I’ve skipped 2 water changes with no lock of increase and my only 2 hammers I have began to recede a bit. I will post pictures once I’m able to get the nitrates to at least 2ppm for a while and then 5 ppm. Im going to be updating my build thread if you guys want to watch ! New aqua scape coming in and so are new corals in September ! Thank you guys for the help! Let’s keep building this thread so that others may have knowledge !
0ECF3FD0-0841-4547-804D-9706D700728B.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some Neo nitro, however next time I’ll for sure give that a try. I found some on Amazon for $15 for a 5 pound bag, I bet that would last me an eternity haha.
I paid just under $30 for the 5lb bag of reagent grade sodium nitrate that I just got in the mail a day or two ago. The only 5lb bag I see on Amazon for about $15 is industrial grade. Make sure whatever you get is food or reagent grade to reduce the odds of contaminants.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid just under $30 for the 5lb bag of reagent grade sodium nitrate that I just got in the mail a day or two ago. The only 5lb bag I see on Amazon for about $15 is industrial grade. Make sure whatever you get is food or reagent grade to reduce the odds of contaminants.
that is a lifetimes worth

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium nitrate dosed at few ppm per day while my feeding caught up and helped establish nutrient levels in my recent upgrade. I like dosing sodium nitrates as opposed to overfeeding tank. 100% control and you don't have to worry about nutrients ending up out of control unless you want them too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back