OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid just under $30 for the 5lb bag of reagent grade sodium nitrate that I just got in the mail a day or two ago. The only 5lb bag I see on Amazon for about $15 is industrial grade. Make sure whatever you get is food or reagent grade to reduce the odds of contaminants.
Okay makes sense ! I just does Neo nitro , does Up to 2ppm, salifert test kit is reading 2ppm. Dosed another 1 ppm today, will eventually get it to 5 ppm. I am attending my first frag swap next weekend here in Houston, hope to pick up hammers for a hammer island Im in the process of and torches ! Keep up with my build thread if you guys want to see the process !

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ! I am currently in a spot I never thought I’d reach, I am low on nitrates ! My nitrates are right at 0 with my phosphates at .06 ppm. I have ordered some Brightwell Aquatics Neo Nitro and am going to give it a shot and see how that goes ! I wanted to ask you guys, what different methods of dosing nitrates are there? I’ve seen potassium nitrates and sodium nitrates, what do you guys dose ? Also, is it true as nitrates rise, phosphates fall ? Oil someone explain the process ? Thank you guys I hope this thread helps many others as well !
i am so envious you have this issue. add a fish or feed more is one way. or you could get scientific and dose something

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am so envious you have this issue. add a fish or feed more is one way. or you could get scientific and dose something
I began to dose, nitrates are back up to 2 ppm, will soon get them to 5ppm and maintain. I have a nano and do weekly water changes to the point that over time, my nitrates don’t stack up as fast as I do my water changes. Reason I do water changes is to keep my sand bed clean which, and sump clean, which I’m a freak at keeping that sand white haha.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began to dose, nitrates are back up to 2 ppm, will soon get them to 5ppm and maintain. I have a nano and do weekly water changes to the point that over time, my nitrates don’t stack up as fast as I do my water changes. Reason I do water changes is to keep my sand bed clean which, and sump clean, which I’m a freak at keeping that sand white haha.
You are better than most keep pride in that

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ! It’s been a few days of dosing nitrates ! My nitrates , with the help of Neo Nitro are at 4.5 - 5 ppm! My corals were definitely starving with the 0ppm, they looks extremely happy now and starting to look a bit more colorful!
0CE8B4DD-EF92-4A1C-9385-787B3387F6FD.jpeg
65342D02-961B-405F-AB17-4FA67D0B7B59.jpeg
70C748FC-52F6-4F42-BB45-2BDA70FDB6DB.jpeg
96F79C3C-C25D-4F47-B9F9-74E39C115241.jpeg

definitely a product I would recommend, I heard many reefers that the calculations on this nitrate source is incorrect, however my salifert test kit is climbing up as I calculated with the equation. The bottle states to :
Tank water volume x desired ppm raise x .1261 = mL of product to add. My tank is looking healthy once again !

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ! It’s been a few days of dosing nitrates ! My nitrates , with the help of Neo Nitro are at 4.5 - 5 ppm! My corals were definitely starving with the 0ppm, they looks extremely happy now and starting to look a bit more colorful!

definitely a product I would recommend,

I prefer a product of known purity, such as food grade sodium nitrate. Same benefits, less cost and less risk.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a product of known purity, such as food grade sodium nitrate. Same benefits, less cost and less risk.
Definitely! I’ve heard great things about this product, so far all looks good, I’ll definitely be grabbing a few pounds of food grade sodium nitrate in the future as you mentioned, it’s pure, cheaper, and last a life time !

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm based in Hong Kong and not easy to get potassium or sodium nitrate. I'm using lab grade urea and works similar. Dosed 2ppm every Saturday in the previous tank to maintain 5-10ppm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back