Difficult and Special Care Species List

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Cleaner wrasses are notorious for not eating.
I don’t know how @vetteguy53081 has been so lucky with them being so good at feeding as I’ve (And many other people) never had luck and most starve in captivity.
As promised. . . try to get this torpedo to stay stiill !!!

1659998363553.jpeg
1659998393226.jpeg
 
So yeah...

My grail fish (probably silly compared to what I've kept) is a Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse.

A while ago Quality Marine had tank raised Hawaiian Cleaners, but I really haven't heard anything of them since that. I would love to know how that worked out.

Eric Cohen, my business partner with TankStop used to run Sea Dwelling Creatures and straight up said he would ask divers to not collect them and said pretty much impossible to keep alive.

I've had normal Cleaners with no problem.

I did have three Hawaiian Cleaners brought in from Hawaii and all three died at varying stages of QT. Each had it's own tank as well.

Even though my wife would probably murder/divorce me, I would come back into the hobby on the hobbyist side to try a species only Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse tank (one only, since I know multiple cleaners will not work). This would allow me to skip QT and just going into an established tank with some coral. I have no idea what to feed and maybe just having enough "life" in the tank would be enough.

I HATE the idea of trying just to try and killing fish.

Curious if anyone has had any luck, or knows more about the tank raised Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse.

BTW : The normal cleaner in this tank was in there the entire time I had my tank up...

 
I have two garden eels that have been thriving for more than 2yrs in my tank. I only have 2" of sand and they just lay horizontally it appears. They even eat pellets and will dart to food that passes by if they see my fish heading towards it. Also were the sole survivors of a velvet outbreak in my tank. Maybe I just got lucky
 
I have two garden eels that have been thriving for more than 2yrs in my tank. I only have 2" of sand and they just lay horizontally it appears. They even eat pellets and will dart to food that passes by if they see my fish heading towards it. Also were the sole survivors of a velvet outbreak in my tank. Maybe I just got lucky
Got any photos of them?
 
I have two garden eels that have been thriving for more than 2yrs in my tank. I only have 2" of sand and they just lay horizontally it appears. They even eat pellets and will dart to food that passes by if they see my fish heading towards it. Also were the sole survivors of a velvet outbreak in my tank. Maybe I just got lucky
I want to see photos as well!
 
Fish To Be Avoided::Fish that have incredibly low survivability in aquaria or are totally unsuitable for home aquaria
……
Butterflyfishes (Chaetodon spp.): Many problem feeders in the group and most are corallivore that are almost guaranteed to starve to death in aquaria, do a lot of research before purchasing
…..
Tamarin Wrasses
(Anampses spp.): Very poor shippers and need tanks with their special needs in mind, even then they often starve to death, their best chance is often a large established reef aquarium with large amounts of live rock, peaceful fish, and something to prevent their escape from jumping

Leopard Wrasses (Macropharyngodon spp.): See Tamarin Wrasses above, but there are more success stories, both these and the Anampses are boderline being in this area of the list and the next section

……
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_1939.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_8948.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

These fishes should be move to difficult to care for rather than avoid fish.
 
Can anyone tell me about Spiny Box Puffer / Striped Burrfish? They're listed as "Expert Only" on LiveAquaria. I think this is because if they get stressed or die they can release toxins. How bad is this compared to something like a Cowfish?
 
Can anyone tell me about Spiny Box Puffer / Striped Burrfish? They're listed as "Expert Only" on LiveAquaria. I think this is because if they get stressed or die they can release toxins. How bad is this compared to something like a Cowfish?
Spiny box is susceptible to ich and flukes and many will at some stop eating and deteriorate. Cowfish should not be sold as they are delicate, also susceptible to disease and often will starve and weaken until one day eyes are sunken in and they are found lifeless on the tank bottom
 
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_1939.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_8948.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

These fishes should be move to difficult to care for rather than avoid fish.

@OrionN is that a Potters Leopard wrasse? Wow, haven’t seen them in so long.

How long have you had your Chaoti? I’ve had mine about 3 months now and he’s gaining weight.. I’m hoping I got lucky with him, but have heard others say that they can perish randomly for no reason so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG_9053.jpeg


IMG_9052.jpeg
 
@OrionN is that a Potters Leopard wrasse? Wow, haven’t seen them in so long.

How long have you had your Chaoti? I’ve had mine about 3 months now and he’s gaining weight.. I’m hoping I got lucky with him, but have heard others say that they can perish randomly for no reason so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG_9053.jpeg


IMG_9052.jpeg
Im getting a baby this week, your adult is gorgeous.
 
Yep! A 1 inch Juvenile choati, already feeding too.
So when I got mine, It hid in the sand for a week; never saw it apart from the moment it went into the QT.

I went about slowly raising the salinity to bring it up to DT levels.

I read an old ReefBuilders article saying that they sometimes have ‘jet lag’/confusion over the time, so in their ‘day’ they come up and it’s dark out, so they go back under the sand, and they don’t check when the lights are on because it’s their ‘night’… anyway, I figured the wrasse was toast, so I did what I highly recommend not doing, I searched the sand with my hand, just about to give up and it swims out into now really murky water, was worried about the potential ammonia stirred up in the QT, so I managed to catch it with my hand, and I tossed it into an acclimation box in my display (huge risk, but it worked out). Anyway, by being in the acclimation box, it forced the wrasse to stay awake during the lights on, and after a week I released him, he’s done great ever since.

I would be ready to hatch some BBS just in case he needs encouragement to eat.

Anyway, I thought I’d share that story in case it helps you or anyone that gets a Chaoti and it stays hidden.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new