Digital Refractometers: What's your experience?

Do you own a digital refractometer and if not would you ever consider using one in the future?

• I own one

Votes: 298 45.4%
  • I do not own one but would like to try one in the future

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • I am not interested in them

Votes: 116 17.7%
  • I am just learning about them

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Analog Refractometer works just fine for a fraction of the cost and it does not need constant calibration like the digital models. Also using a $2 bottle of Distilled water or good RoDI water works as an endless source of zero value reference fluid and calibration fluid.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Milwaukee used it it was always very reliable then I got the Hanna handheld, haven’t looked back. Just too easy to use and hardly needs Recalibrating in my experience

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works well for me and I read many reviews before purchase. I rinse it in RO/DI after each use.

For the sake of accuracy in Rev's poll, do you vote yes because it is a digital device or no, because this isn't a refractometer?

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. Do you own a digital refractometer and if not would you ever consider using one in the future?
Yes, I have the MIlwaukee MA887. I also have the Tropic Marin floating hydrometer as my "master" and check/calibrate against it.

1. What's your experience with Digital Refractometers? Tell us what you like about them!
Love it! Easy, fast and consistent. Not quite as fast as the pen style but we're splitting hairs and I also have a salinity probe (Apex) to monitor day-to-day. (which is calibrated to read the same as the TM & Milwaukee) Since the Milwaukee is calibrated to 0 you can use different levels of 'cleanliness' to get the readings to line up with the hydrometer (distilled/RoDi, etc). I check it against the TM about every other water change or so. Haven't needed to re calibrate it again yet (months).

EDIT: What I don't like about it is it only reads 3 decimal places in SG mode (eg: 1.026 or 1.025 SG) and no decimal in ppt mode (eg: 34 or 35 ppt). 1.026 could be anywhere from 1.0255 & 1.0264). So it's mostly only for quick checking for anything out of whack. The salinity probe reads 1 decimal in ppt (eg: 34.8) and the TM hydrometer reads 4 decimals in SG (eg:1.0262) so it's covered.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's what I use to measure salinity. If Rev wants to delete it he is welcome to do so.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just asking. I know others have confused conductivity meters and digital refractometers in other discussions.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not criticizing, I'm just asking. I know others have confused conductivity meters and digital refractometers in other discussions.
You are correct. My immediate "knee jerk response" to Rev's question was measuring salinity. I didn't stop to think of the specific technology. Thanks for clarifying.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Analog Refractometer works just fine for a fraction of the cost and it does not need constant calibration like the digital models. Also using a $2 bottle of Distilled water or good RoDI water works as an endless source of zero value reference fluid and calibration fluid.

try using 35ppt home made calibration fluid, I also thought plain rodi water was good to use as the instructions called for it but turns out it wasn't.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted not interested in trying one, I would be if they were more reliable and needed less calibration.

When there are far better alternatives out there I won't be paying $$$ for something that will give me a result I can't be confident in.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 8 months I've calibrated twice. First time when I first got it, second time was to get everything lined up so they all read the same as a Tropic Marin floating hydrometer. (see my post #28) Has not needed to be re-calibrated for months, so far. It takes about 10 seconds to do anyways. Add a couple drops of RoDi or whatever & press calibrate.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwaukee digital refractometer. I am not a fan. I don't trust it. It is consistently off. 35ppt reference tests out to 37. That is considered within the margin of error! Unfortunately I test with the digital refractometer, then I test with my analog refractometer. Then I warm up the reference solution in the tank, then test both refractometers with the reference solution, then test the sample again. In the end, I have a different reading for every single test. I usually trust the analog refract after calibration with the heated reference standard.

All Thai and then I keep an eye on my apex conductivity probe for any trends, not values.

I will get a Hanna conductivity tested soon to add to the mix....

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "Not Interested". I trust my analog refractometer calibrated with a Standard Calibration Fluid. My process is well established... 4 drops of room temperature 35 ppt calibration fluid... read... adjust... rinse...4 drops of sample water (77-79 degrees)... read in same light. My refractometer adjusts quickly and easily and I know my readings are accurate. Until I get too old to see the graduation lines, I'll stick with it.

I nuked a tank early on by trusting a swing arm hydrometer. Bought the refractometer. Never looked back. I do have a lab grade hydrometer that I can verify the refractometer when calibrated the first time with a new bottle of solution. That's like every two years though. Those little bottles last almost forever.

Now, ask me about digital vs. color indicating test kits and we'll have something to talk about. I swear I'm color blind sometimes!

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwaukee digital refractometer trust it implicitly as I test against the base 1.025 that they provide. I can’t imagine managing 2 large tanks ( 180g and 200g ) with 15% weekly water changes without it

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna HI96822 Digital Refractometer, but went back to the good old reliable refractometer.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwaukee digital refractometer but stopped using it and went back to my handheld non fancy refractometer after noting it had went wildly out of calibration. If you're using a digital meter, be certain you calibrate it often with high quality known fluids.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see any reason to use it.

IMO, It is marketed to reefers who have convinced themselves that refractometers are good, and so a digital one is easier and better.

Hanna claims it is only accurate to ±2 PSU; ±2 ppt

So in essence, it cannot distinguish 33 from 37 ppt.

Conductivity meters are far more accurate, even from Hanna: ±1 ppt for 0.0 to 40.0 ppt, for much less money.
In your opinion should someone who is using a non digital traditional refractometer ditch it and buy a conductivity meter? If its more accurate I will go that route. That's my first time hearing about them. Is it similar to a E.C meter for hydroponics?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back