Digital Refractometers: What's your experience?

Do you own a digital refractometer and if not would you ever consider using one in the future?

• I own one

Votes: 298 45.4%
  • I do not own one but would like to try one in the future

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • I am not interested in them

Votes: 116 17.7%
  • I am just learning about them

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For today's QOTD I would like to hear about your experiences with Digital Refractometers! If you don't have experience I would still like to hear your thoughts and if you ever have plans to try one out! Let's talk about it today!

1. What's your experience with Digital Refractometers? Tell us what you like about them!

2. Do you own a digital refractometer and if not would you ever consider using one in the future?

Screenshot_2021-03-30 Aquarium.png
Have one, love it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion should someone who is using a non digital traditional refractometer ditch it and buy a conductivity meter? If its more accurate I will go that route. That's my first time hearing about them. Is it similar to a E.C meter for hydroponics?

I think we reefers are fortunate that reef aquaria are very forgiving as to the actual salinity. Most of the devices reefers use are adequate if properly calibrated or at least once, checked for accuracy. IMO, it's impossible to be easier or more accurate than a good quality conductivity probe, but that doesn't mean they are necessary.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a normal refractometer works well. In my opinion a digital refractometer probably isn’t worth it unless you have a large investment. However, the ease of use and a digital readout is just amazing. Kinda like the hanna Alkalinity checker, a interesting investment.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is patently false. They die over time. IF you have used it for more than a few months I doubt yours is giving you an accurate reading. Maybe consistent, but not accurate. They are intended to teach kids how to read salinity, nothing more.
doubt what you want.
I must have a special one then. every now and then I'll take a sample in to the lfs for testing just to see. apparently their refracto's aren't working right along with mine as they register the same.
except that one time they told me my sg was 1.029. asked them to check it against one of their tanks.
1.029 which they knew wasn't the case. retest with a new refracto. both at 1.025.
2.5 years old. like I said special.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like the fact that you must clean with RODI every time after use

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwaukee digital. Calibrate with new clean ro/di check with calibration fluid a couple times after I purchased. Went 3 years not needing calibration. I always cleans lens with ro water before and after using. Hand held refractometer is hard for me to read the fine lines

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone can answer this question for me because I've never looked into it. My hesitancy with the refractometer is that it doesn't look like I can use it a bunch of times in a row. I may check my salinity 20 times while I'm mixing my salt water - how does that work with the refractometer?

Either way, I am totally happy with two hydrometers, which I cross check against each other.

nathanmaurer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one but have a family member that does. Very accurate and easy to use. I bit expensive compared to the manual refractometer that I own and use, which in my opinion, is just as accurate.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What's your experience with Digital Refractometers? Tell us what you like about them!

I love them! My old eyes can't read a normal refractometer anymore. Easy to use, calibrate and the works. I've had mine for about 3 years now, haven't changed the batteries yet, still shows about 78% capacity.

2. Do you own a digital refractometer and if not would you ever consider using one in the future?

Milwaukee MA887

nathanmaurer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone can answer this question for me because I've never looked into it. My hesitancy with the refractometer is that it doesn't look like I can use it a bunch of times in a row. I may check my salinity 20 times while I'm mixing my salt water - how does that work with the refractometer?

Either way, I am totally happy with two hydrometers, which I cross check against each other.
If I follow what you're saying, I believe the digital can be used multiple times in a row, just rinse the sensor between each measurement. The manual one I use just needs a quick rinse and dry after each use, and take endless measurements. Per each batch of salt I mix I only need to measure about two times. Well worth having one.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using my lighted refractometer. 4 decades back, I use a hydrometer and I thought that was just guess work, but it's all I ever knew

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally switched to a conductivity probe - Hanna HI98319. I was having a terrible time with my traditional refractometer. Maybe I had a bad one. Maybe I just didn't know how to use it right. But my readings drifted all over the place. Now I can check the salinity in my mixing bucket and both tanks in less time than it took to calibrate the refractometer. Best of all, the numbers I'm getting match my ICP test.

Kevin_Mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get older my eye sight gets worse so digital is best for me , I can still read digital but having to read a line on scale is not very consistent with my eyes my apex works well

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- No experience.

- I don’t and I don’t intend to buy or use one in the future. I use a conductivity/salinity probe and a standard handheld refractometer. I’m fine with the accuracy I have. Even my old hydrometer works. They all agree as well.

Last edited:

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-No, I don't own a digital refractometer
-I don't have plans to use one (unless APEX Salinity Probe counts)
I use a hydrometer for mixing salt water to get me in the ball park, then check using a manual refractometer to confirm when mixing is complete and it's time for the actual water change. Once it goes in the tank I let the APEX salinity probe take the work, verifying with the refractometer every 3 or 4 months (or when I think of it). Seems like a lot of money to replace something I already have, works well, and is easy to use. I suppose if it broke and I was feeling the need to get some gear like the nerd I am, I might consider it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I like the ease of instant reading in clear digits and it even confirms water temperature

I have two being both the hanna and icecap version. I find the hanna more accurate but use the other to confirm the Hanna reading and see how it compares with my Apex readings.

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used swing arms, normal refractometers, conductivity probes, and I currently used a digital refractometer. I calibrate it once every 3 months and (except as noted below) I have never had it inconsistently read the same sample or give an incorrect reading. It reads 0ppt and 35ppt calibration fluid accurately without deviation. I have a backup refractometer that I occasionally use to confirm its accuracy when testing with a non-reference sample.

The resolution of 1ppt means that even if it reads 35ppt, I don't know if the sample is exactly 35, or on the borderline of 34 or 36. It's advertised as +/- 2ppt, but I've never seen it be more than .5 off. I test the same sample multiple times, and if it does jump between two numbers, then I know its close to borderline between the two (whichever result shows the most frequent indicates which "side" of the borderline its on. And yes, I know this isn't a very scientific method).

Maybe mine is a fluke, or maybe I'm doping everything wrong, but for me the digital refractometer is more reliable and more convenient to use.

MIlwakee MA887

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back