dihydroxybenzene in Glue

dtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Planning on doing some NSA aqua scaping for a new build I usually gorilla but as I need a lot I found some superglue locally that is cheap and comes in large pots. Tested it on a couple of pieces of test rock and seems really good but noticed it has dihydroxybenzene as an ingredient as well as cyanoacrylate that I usually look out for. Is this reef safe as will save me a small fortune on the rockwork if so ?

ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate 7085-85-0 230-391-5 Eye Irrit.2; H319 STOT SE3; H335 Skin Irrit.2; H315 >= 50 - <= 100 1,4-
dihydroxybenzene 123-31-9 204-617-8 Carc.2; H351 Muta.2; H341 Acute Tox.4; H302 Eye Dam.1; H318 Skin Sens.1; H317 Aquatic Acute1; H400 < 0,25

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I cannot find any information on dihydroxybenzene. I know for sure that cyanoactylate is reef safe. I am about to start working on a NSA scape too. I bought a big bottle of super glue from brs.

Is the kind you're hoping to use the brown kind? I keep seeing where people ask about the other types (not the brown type), but do not see where anyone has specifically said that the brown type of gorilla glue is a problem. I would hold off until you have someone more knowledgeable respond though.

OP
OP
D

dtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I cannot find any information on dihydroxybenzene. I know for sure that cyanoactylate is reef safe. I am about to start working on a NSA scape too. I bought a big bottle of super glue from brs.

Is the kind you're hoping to use the brown kind? I keep seeing where people ask about the other types (not the brown type), but do not see where anyone has specifically said that the brown type of gorilla glue is a problem. I would hold off until you have someone more knowledgeable respond though.
The gorilla glue is the super glue gel and Is ok but in the uk is expensive for the amount I’ll need . I found the other stuff at a fraction of the cost and it’s nice and thick to hold the structure initially but can’t find anything on that other ingredient in it.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Cyanoacrylate Super Glue (Water Thin 02) with sand to hold the initial scape. It is very fast and holds solid! You can hit the back of the scape with E-Marco-400 for added strength. Most Super Glue, Adhesives, and Silicone are Reef Safe once cured. It’s the uncured product that can be a problem. So let it fully cure before you throw it into the tank. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back