Dino ID - Microscope Pics/Video

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys a little blurry best I could get in focus.... any ideas? It looks like Ostreopsis to me.

20200915_1908_012_150.000.jpg
20200915_1908_013_150.000.jpg
20200915_1908_014_150.000.jpg
20200915_1908_012_150.000.jpg
20200915_1908_013_150.000.jpg
20200915_1908_014_150.000.jpg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they spin in circles? Axis spinning with the pointy end in?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis. One of the easier species to get rid of. Usually caused by too low nutrients.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from the photos, but could also be some amphidinium. Ostreopsis is very sesame seed like shape, while amphi have beaks. See if there are any that move like roombas (amphi). Where were the samples collected from? Sand or rock work. If it’s in the sand, and it stays when lights are off, it’s probably amphi.

Nonetheless, if I’m wrong and it is ostreo, can run UV and up nutrients to battle it. Word of caution though, I eliminated ostreo to get amphi taking over now. They are much harder to eliminate since they don’t enter water column. Best thing I’ve found to combat that is growing diatoms, adding biodiversity and not letting nutrients bottom out.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from the photos, but could also be some amphidinium. Ostreopsis is very sesame seed like shape, while amphi have beaks. See if there are any that move like roombas (amphi). Where were the samples collected from? Sand or rock work. If it’s in the sand, and it stays when lights are off, it’s probably amphi.

Nonetheless, if I’m wrong and it is ostreo, can run UV and up nutrients to battle it. Word of caution though, I eliminated ostreo to get amphi taking over now. They are much harder to eliminate since they don’t enter water column. Best thing I’ve found to combat that is growing diatoms, adding biodiversity and not letting nutrients bottom out.

Good luck!

Disappears from the sand at night but stays on the backwall overnight - the sample was taken from the backwall where it stays.

Here is the video what do you think

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow. 2-4 tank volumes per hour. This will be slower than the manufacturers recommendation. You will get best results running to and from display tank as well. How big is your tank?

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow. 2-4 tank volumes per hour. This will be slower than the manufacturers recommendation. You will get best results running to and from display tank as well. How big is your tank?

Thanks - Tank is 5x3x2 so approx 215 Gal plus sump so maybe 240-250 total.

Would you say approx 500-750 g/phr?

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also should I continue to remove the Dino’s once the UV is on or just scrub it off every day? Should I also couple this with a blackout or lights off period or just leave lights on? I turned the lights off last night as it was starting to get worse so just until the UV comes I don’t want it going crazy and killing off more corals.
I am also dosing hydrogen peroxide should I continue with that to?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also should I continue to remove the Dino’s once the UV is on or just scrub it off every day? Should I also couple this with a blackout or lights off period or just leave lights on? I turned the lights off last night as it was starting to get worse so just until the UV comes I don’t want it going crazy and killing off more corals.
I am also dosing hydrogen peroxide should I continue with that to?
Yes, your flowrate sounds right. Your unit is sized right as we have learned that you need at least about 1 watt of UV per every 3 gallons to be most effective. Again, plumbing to and from DT will help more than you think. This is a pain, but I highly recommend.

Once the UV is on, you should see very fast results so hopefully daily scrubbing won’t be required. You can do a blackout if you want, but I would not unless the UV is not doing what is expected.

I have no experience with hydrogen peroxide. It seems to be one of the many things that help some tanks but not others. There have been some experienced reefers who swear by it.

If things go like they should, then more importantly, you’ll need to run your tank so they don’t come back. Keep us informed. Good luck.

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your flowrate sounds right. Your unit is sized right as we have learned that you need at least about 1 watt of UV per every 3 gallons to be most effective. Again, plumbing to and from DT will help more than you think. This is a pain, but I highly recommend.

Once the UV is on, you should see very fast results so hopefully daily scrubbing won’t be required. You can do a blackout if you want, but I would not unless the UV is not doing what is expected.

I have no experience with hydrogen peroxide. It seems to be one of the many things that help some tanks but not others. There have been some experienced reefers who swear by it.

If things go like they should, then more importantly, you’ll need to run your tank so they don’t come back. Keep us informed. Good luck.

Awesome thanks heaps! Good to know I’m on the right track. I will definitely do from DT to DT as it’s easier to setup initially. Once they go should I run the UV from the sump long term? Also will Dino’s be there forever or will UV kill it all eventually?

okay might as well keep dosing it anyway hasn’t done any harm so far and might help a little...

I will keep everyone posted for sure!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people, I think, end up running from sump long term. It’s a clean setup that way. I still run my UV to and from display as I really hate dinos.

I think they will always be there, at least in very small numbers. They will dominate only if other things cannot. You will want to run your tank with enough nutrients for algae and other dino competitors to grow. So be sure to run with measurable nitrates and phosphates from here on out.

I bet I could find dinos in my display if I tried hard enough. I probably always could. But, certainly they don’t dominate now. Other algaes and (unfortunately) cyano dominate my tank. My cuc takes care of most algae.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people, I think, end up running from sump long term. It’s a clean setup that way. I still run my UV to and from display as I really hate dinos.

I think they will always be there, at least in very small numbers. They will dominate only if other things cannot. You will want to run your tank with enough nutrients for algae and other dino competitors to grow. So be sure to run with measurable nitrates and phosphates from here on out.

I bet I could find dinos in my display if I tried hard enough. I probably always could. But, certainly they don’t dominate now. Other algaes and (unfortunately) cyano dominate my tank. My cuc takes care of most algae.

Good luck.

Yeah cool
Well once this lot goes I will see how I go running from the sump attached to the return.

tested my phos and nitrate two days ago and it was 0.05 and 10ppm so I think that’s basically perfect. If I can continue with that I have been feeding heavier than usual

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizer setup last night, running about 24 hours now. Not much happening in the way of Dino’s with the reduced lighting on the tank at the moment but will hopefully stay this way! Removed everything I could following a 2 day lights off period.

not sure if the flow is too slow through the UV but I don’t know if it’s better to run slower rather than faster. Probably about 300gphr I’d reckon so might bump it up if I am not seeing the results.

9852FE8B-3CB8-45F9-93E2-EFE1990403D8.jpeg

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update: haven’t seen any since I put the UV on and there is stuff growing back where the Dino’s were and I put it under a microscope and can confirm GHA! (I checked it against both photos online and GHA growing on the other walls.
I am not counting my chickens but I think I’ve done it! Early days but the UV certainly has done the trick.

F2AD05F1-7AB8-4208-A51A-D244185F1CB0.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back