Dino outbreak

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m still really new to saltwater and recently i just finished dealing with brook and now algae. My tank is only a month old and i noticed brown algae buildup which i assumed was diatoms. But now that i look at it, it looks like nasty sludgy algae which one if my co workers told me was called dino. How in the world do i treat this? I wanted to get some coral but something keeps on happening that prevents me from doing so.

C7FC85F6-7A73-4EC3-9AF2-8D9CF6EAB71C.jpeg

2B878AFF-3B83-4FC5-883B-F04412658D1C.jpeg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from pictures but looks Dino’s on the rock due to the air bubbles.. I have only skimmed through that thread but there should be detailed information on identification

Cheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is pretty new still and probably just got out of cycling. Have you picked up a cleanup crew?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from pictures but looks Dino’s on the rock due to the air bubbles.. I have only skimmed through that thread but there should be detailed information on identification
There's info on Id with and with out microscope. Highly recommend you get one though.

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update* I’ve been blacking the tank out, took the rocks out and let them soak in a freshwater solution, alot of them died off the rocks. But now I’m going to start dosing the tank with peroxide. How much should i usr for a 13.5 gallon? And should i put it right in the tank or use a turkey baser to spray it on the dino in the sand?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would try to find what caused it, rather than attacking it. You need to test nitrates and phosphates, get those under control, then remedy the problem.

Dino's are often from having unbalanced nitrates / phosphates. The easiest solution I've come across is raising your nitrates, and letting green algae grow to out compete the dinos. Then get a cleanup crew that will mow down the green algae. Dinos are toxic to a cleanup crew, so I would resolve the issue before spending on a CUC. If you notice your snails die, pull them before the dinos feed on the dead snail.

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Josh Kraft alot of the dinos are gone, but the thing that sucks right now is that i have a Caribbean carpet anemone in the tank and because of the black outs it’s been getting smaller and smaller.

4181263C-95CF-4F64-804F-29C0C05988C9.jpeg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’d get rid of the carpet. You likely won’t want it eventually anyway. There are much better options for anemones but I’d wait until your tank is better established before getting one.

Keep an eye on the ammonia. Soaking your rocks in FW likely killed all of the bacteria and any other life that was on the rocks.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead CUC would be enough to confirm it was dinos to me.

Do you run a skimmer, or any kind of filtration? That nitrate reading looks right at 0, right?

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the nitrates are reading zero, and the tank is a fluval 13.5 so it comes with filtration but i also added a cascade internal filter. But not a skimmer, everyone at my LFS’S told me that a protein skimmer on a small tank like mine wouldn’t be necessary if i do water changes every week. @Josh Kraft

Last edited:

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah the nitrates are reading zero, and the tank is a fluval 13.5 so it comes with filtration but i also added a cascade internal filter. But not a skimmer, everyone at my LFS’S told me that a protein skimmer on a small tank like mine wouldn’t be necessary if i do water changes every week. @Josh Kraft

Are you using RODI water? Impurities in water can cause as well. I would not use treated tap water at all.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may help to get a better test kit. The dip ones aren't so great. IMHO. Don't add anything else to your tank until it is stabilized. Hopefully you'll get there soon. I would agree with taking the anemone back. If it dies in there just adding to the problem.

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Update* after cleaning the rock blackouts, taking the anemone, back a few days later my dino started spreading like crazy again. So my LFS told me to get Ruby Reef Rally. And dosing my tank with it hasn’t done anything. I tested my parameters with the master test kit and they’re all really good. I’m legit at a standstill and losing all hope. Does anyone have any more advice by any chance? Greatly appreciated!!

3754E18F-1F1F-498D-9EFA-6D2A2DC50CCA.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back