Dino plan of attack

The brown is gone! Now I have a pretty bad red (more of a purple) cyano bloom going on and the nitrates are testing 40:eek:. Phosphate is 0.12. I’m going to do a 25 gallon water change once a week until I can get the nitrates back down to 5-10. However, although the tank isn’t pretty at the moment, I’m happy that I can now say that it’s free of dinoflagellates! Hopefully soon I can post after pics once all the uglies are completely gone and tank is restocked!
Also wanted to add that before the long spine urchin was looking bad. I was pretty sure he wouldn’t last long. The dino was getting caught in his spines and got even worse when I would blow off the sand and rocks. It looks much better! Nothing sticks to him when I blow off the sand and rocks now!

Steps I took for reference of someone else who may stumble across this thread
#1 ASK the EXPERTS!! ;Bookworm
-Stopped carbon dosing
-increased nitrate and phosphate
- blew off rocks and sand 2-3x a day
-syphoned what I could through a 25 micron filter sock
-added a uv steralizer (for two weeks) took it out after two weeks because it was increasing the water temp>80 degrees
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new