Dino X and Raising Nutrients

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've discovered I have dinos in my 220 gallon aquarium. As of testing this morning my nitrates are at ZERO. I understand that part of the long term plan to keep dinos away is to increase nutrients. What can I do to raise nutrients in my tank while dosing Dino X?

The product has not arrived yet. Should be here later this week.

I have a HUGE ball of cheato in my sump. Will Dino X kill it? Should i remove it before dosing? I have already reduced my fuge lighting period from 12 to 3 hours.

I've also ordered some nitrate and phosphate for dosing. Are these OK to add while dosing Dino X?

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly, highly recommend not using Dino X without trying anything else.

Raise your nutrients, try adding UV.

Gungnir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

My nitrates (API test) and phosphates (Hanna ULR) have remained at 0 ppm/ppb as well. I have relatively (I think) mild diatoms and/or dino. I started feeding more and trying to not freak out and make a bunch of changes (you know- remain patient). I considered getting Vibrant, but don't want to remove my chaeto.

Gungnir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow-up, I fed more (2x per day) until my nutrients rose and added a UV sterilizer. Diatoms and dinos disappeared in a couple of days (noticeable impact 24-48 hours and completely gone after ~72 hours). Pretty nice to see the shells of the invertebrates again! Nitrates are now more than 0 but probably less than 5ppm (API) and phosphate is ~0.046ppm (15ppb with Phosphorous ULR Hanna checker). I also cut the lighting to the refugium back to 4 hours/night.

Water is clear, animals and I are happy.

Before:
20200211_135953.jpg

20200211_140037.jpg

20200211_140052.jpg

After:
20200304_120250.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow-up, I fed more (2x per day) until my nutrients rose and added a UV sterilizer. Diatoms and dinos disappeared in a couple of days (noticeable impact 24-48 hours and completely gone after ~72 hours). Pretty nice to see the shells of the invertebrates again! Nitrates are now more than 0 but probably less than 5ppm (API) and phosphate is ~0.046ppm (15ppb with Phosphorous ULR Hanna checker). I also cut the lighting to the refugium back to 4 hours/night.

Water is clear, animals and I are happy.
Thanks for follow up. I ended up dosing phosphate and nitrate. Unfortunately, I overshot phosphate and it went to .9ppm :O

Working now on bringing it down slowly. My nitrates over around 10ppm. I've also been adding some silicate to help encourage diatoms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back