Dino X and Skimmer

ssagar89

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2020
Messages
104
Reaction score
36
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
My tank has a Dino issue currently. They are brown stringy slime on the sand bed. I don’t have a skimmer in my tank. Can I still use Dino X to get rid of these dinos?
attaching pics. Will it hurt my corals?
How many hours should I run my lights?
curently running total 12 hrs with 8 hrs peak photo period. Should modify it?
thanks for your advice.

1A41379A-4FF2-4CA1-B8DC-BF30BFAC23C9.jpeg
 
Hi everyone
My tank has a Dino issue currently. They are brown stringy slime on the sand bed. I don’t have a skimmer in my tank. Can I still use Dino X to get rid of these dinos?
attaching pics. Will it hurt my corals?
How many hours should I run my lights?
curently running total 12 hrs with 8 hrs peak photo period. Should modify it?
thanks for your advice.

1A41379A-4FF2-4CA1-B8DC-BF30BFAC23C9.jpeg
Dino x did work for me but I lost 30% of corals. I turned down intensity and photo period. Wiped out my Dino’s 100% but left me with a more manageable cyano.
 
To help slow the Dinos I had, I reduced my lighting to only blue lighting and only ran them for 7 hours a day. If you are dosing alk and calcium you will probably need to reduce the dosage as your corals will grow more slowly. If you get a picture or some footage of the Dinos from a cheap kids microscope and post it, someone would be able to tell you what Dinos you are dealing with. Depending on which ones they are, it maybe beneficial to blast them with a turkey baster to get them into the water column so a UV can kill them. Talking of which, do you have a UV and what is the wattage and how big is your tank.

Its hard to tell from the picture but are they just in one place or are they on your rocks and affecting your corals?

I did not use Dino X so cannot comment on that product.

Tips that worked for me -

Reduced lighting to only blue and only for 7 hours a day
Stopped all water changes
Brought and installed over sized UV and feed UV directly from the display tank
Blasted the Dinos off the rocks 2-3 times a day to get them into the water column so the UV could kill them
Heavily feed my tank
Added more more fish to increase more bio load
Let algae take hold (I know, not something you would normally do or want!)
Add MicroBacter7

If you could provide a bit more detail on your aquarium and provide a few more pictures etc. I am happy to help where I can.
 
To help slow the Dinos I had, I reduced my lighting to only blue lighting and only ran them for 7 hours a day. If you are dosing alk and calcium you will probably need to reduce the dosage as your corals will grow more slowly. If you get a picture or some footage of the Dinos from a cheap kids microscope and post it, someone would be able to tell you what Dinos you are dealing with. Depending on which ones they are, it maybe beneficial to blast them with a turkey baster to get them into the water column so a UV can kill them. Talking of which, do you have a UV and what is the wattage and how big is your tank.

Its hard to tell from the picture but are they just in one place or are they on your rocks and affecting your corals?

I did not use Dino X so cannot comment on that product.

Tips that worked for me -

Reduced lighting to only blue and only for 7 hours a day
Stopped all water changes
Brought and installed over sized UV and feed UV directly from the display tank
Blasted the Dinos off the rocks 2-3 times a day to get them into the water column so the UV could kill them
Heavily feed my tank
Added more more fish to increase more bio load
Let algae take hold (I know, not something you would normally do or want!)
Add MicroBacter7

If you could provide a bit more detail on your aquarium and provide a few more pictures etc. I am happy to help where I can.
Hi there, here is my tank picture. Tried to zoom in. My tank volume is 10 gallon. How much MB7 should I add?
 

Attachments

  • 2503AAED-1BC9-4165-96C5-EAD22081270D.jpeg
    2503AAED-1BC9-4165-96C5-EAD22081270D.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 118

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new