Dino X and Skimmer

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
My tank has a Dino issue currently. They are brown stringy slime on the sand bed. I don’t have a skimmer in my tank. Can I still use Dino X to get rid of these dinos?
attaching pics. Will it hurt my corals?
How many hours should I run my lights?
curently running total 12 hrs with 8 hrs peak photo period. Should modify it?
thanks for your advice.

1A41379A-4FF2-4CA1-B8DC-BF30BFAC23C9.jpeg

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
My tank has a Dino issue currently. They are brown stringy slime on the sand bed. I don’t have a skimmer in my tank. Can I still use Dino X to get rid of these dinos?
attaching pics. Will it hurt my corals?
How many hours should I run my lights?
curently running total 12 hrs with 8 hrs peak photo period. Should modify it?
thanks for your advice.

1A41379A-4FF2-4CA1-B8DC-BF30BFAC23C9.jpeg
Dino x did work for me but I lost 30% of corals. I turned down intensity and photo period. Wiped out my Dino’s 100% but left me with a more manageable cyano.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help slow the Dinos I had, I reduced my lighting to only blue lighting and only ran them for 7 hours a day. If you are dosing alk and calcium you will probably need to reduce the dosage as your corals will grow more slowly. If you get a picture or some footage of the Dinos from a cheap kids microscope and post it, someone would be able to tell you what Dinos you are dealing with. Depending on which ones they are, it maybe beneficial to blast them with a turkey baster to get them into the water column so a UV can kill them. Talking of which, do you have a UV and what is the wattage and how big is your tank.

Its hard to tell from the picture but are they just in one place or are they on your rocks and affecting your corals?

I did not use Dino X so cannot comment on that product.

Tips that worked for me -

Reduced lighting to only blue and only for 7 hours a day
Stopped all water changes
Brought and installed over sized UV and feed UV directly from the display tank
Blasted the Dinos off the rocks 2-3 times a day to get them into the water column so the UV could kill them
Heavily feed my tank
Added more more fish to increase more bio load
Let algae take hold (I know, not something you would normally do or want!)
Add MicroBacter7

If you could provide a bit more detail on your aquarium and provide a few more pictures etc. I am happy to help where I can.

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help slow the Dinos I had, I reduced my lighting to only blue lighting and only ran them for 7 hours a day. If you are dosing alk and calcium you will probably need to reduce the dosage as your corals will grow more slowly. If you get a picture or some footage of the Dinos from a cheap kids microscope and post it, someone would be able to tell you what Dinos you are dealing with. Depending on which ones they are, it maybe beneficial to blast them with a turkey baster to get them into the water column so a UV can kill them. Talking of which, do you have a UV and what is the wattage and how big is your tank.

Its hard to tell from the picture but are they just in one place or are they on your rocks and affecting your corals?

I did not use Dino X so cannot comment on that product.

Tips that worked for me -

Reduced lighting to only blue and only for 7 hours a day
Stopped all water changes
Brought and installed over sized UV and feed UV directly from the display tank
Blasted the Dinos off the rocks 2-3 times a day to get them into the water column so the UV could kill them
Heavily feed my tank
Added more more fish to increase more bio load
Let algae take hold (I know, not something you would normally do or want!)
Add MicroBacter7

If you could provide a bit more detail on your aquarium and provide a few more pictures etc. I am happy to help where I can.
Hi there, here is my tank picture. Tried to zoom in. My tank volume is 10 gallon. How much MB7 should I add?

Attachments

• 2503AAED-1BC9-4165-96C5-EAD22081270D.jpeg
    2503AAED-1BC9-4165-96C5-EAD22081270D.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 43

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back