Dinoflagellate takeover!!!

I battled dino's by just turning off my skimmer, and not doing water changes. That's literally all I did.... kept my feeding schedule the same, and didnt add any extra fish or anything. overtime, my nutrients and phos rose and the dino started going away. After it went away fully, I started performing water change routine again, while still leaving my skimmer off. Everything stabilized shortly after so i turned my skimmer back on and just continued to balance out my import vs. export - and they stayed gone. I personally hate going the chemical route to rid anything from my tank, so that natural method helped me out big time.

I'm glad they're gone - just find that import/export balance now and don't keep your tank too clean :)
 
I battled dino's by just turning off my skimmer, and not doing water changes. That's literally all I did.... kept my feeding schedule the same, and didnt add any extra fish or anything. overtime, my nutrients and phos rose and the dino started going away. After it went away fully, I started performing water change routine again, while still leaving my skimmer off. Everything stabilized shortly after so i turned my skimmer back on and just continued to balance out my import vs. export - and they stayed gone. I personally hate going the chemical route to rid anything from my tank, so that natural method helped me out big time.

I'm glad they're gone - just find that import/export balance now and don't keep your tank too clean :)
thank you!
 
update: dino’s are gone! the next step is to clean the rocks and bring down nutrients. after dosing nitrate and phosphate everything is now green. i have vibrant which i just started, but i’m worried that i’ll bring my nutrients down too low and then i’ll have a dino problem again. any advice?

C5291E37-E337-46F3-A81C-DE0117FD84A3.jpeg 5E22FD6E-F1DF-4B6E-B1B9-FC87E627C101.jpeg 604397B0-6934-42A5-BAB3-E05A8544B3DD.jpeg
did you have any issues with the hydrogen peroxide with fanacetin?
 
I battled dino's by just turning off my skimmer, and not doing water changes. That's literally all I did.... kept my feeding schedule the same, and didnt add any extra fish or anything. overtime, my nutrients and phos rose and the dino started going away. After it went away fully, I started performing water change routine again, while still leaving my skimmer off. Everything stabilized shortly after so i turned my skimmer back on and just continued to balance out my import vs. export - and they stayed gone. I personally hate going the chemical route to rid anything from my tank, so that natural method helped me out big time.

I'm glad they're gone - just find that import/export balance now and don't keep your tank too clean :)
good job. I often say dont feed coral foods, empty skimmer daily - off works and you in turn build up nutrients. Many add nutrients (E-phos, etc) which feeds the dino.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new