Dinoflagellate takeover!!!

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everybody,
i’ve been battling dino’s for months now. here’s the story. i bought a tank (40B with 20gal sump; custom tank/stand/sump) that was running for a bout a year and taken down because the owner lost interest, but he put the live rock in a couple 5 gallon buckets of salt water to preserve the bacteria just before we purchased the tank. i put it all together and got it up and running with fish and coral in by the end of the week (these were fish and coral he previously had; nothing crazy, just a clown and small damsel and about 20 soft corals/ easy lps). i knew the risk of putting livestock in so quickly, but i knew the rocks and my filtration were good enough. i had a nice diatom bloom and cyano right away, but as i treated the nutrient problem, dino’s popped up and have never left. i got the nutrients too low. over the past few moths i have put in more fish and upped feeding, lowered the light schedule, and it has helped a lot. so to try to kill the little that was lingering, i bought dino-x. this product made them bloom overnight and now it covers every surface, coral and even my baby yellow tang. i tried to keep on using it but after 2 weeks there has been no change. i know now i need to go after nutrients hard. going to be dosing nitrate and phosphate to get those back in balance. the problem is i don’t know the particular species of dino i have, but after hours of research i couldn’t find anything on treating different types. can i get some help on the different treatment methods for each type and some advice for dosing nitrate and phosphate(or if this will even work). thank you guys

p.s. the video uploaded has micro-bubbles everywhere because i would bubble the display for an hour to help release the dino and siphon every...single...day.....

TheGreenReefer

Attachments

• F2AAD818-7F0D-4250-AFFE-02F43A86EDDD.MOV
    28.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They feed on nutrients. Do what I do and wont see dinos much longer. Every NIGHT, add 1ml per 10 gallons of Hydrogen peroxide. Blow at the dino with a turkey baster. DO NOT use NoPox or coral food such as Reef Roids which feed the dine. Slowly but surely you will it subside. Im on month two doing this daily and Finally I am Dino free. It destroyed almost all my SPS and created some very Unhappy LPS which are now full and colorful.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Nitrates are likely Oppm. should be 5-10ppm . I used sodium nitrate solution to get rid of mine. good luck
I’m going to second this advice from my own experience. I had dinos wipe out about 60% of my coral. The only thing that worked was to get nitrates up to around 10ppm and phosphate above 0.05ppm.

It took care of my problem in about 10 days. Never seen them since.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Nitrates are likely Oppm. should be 5-10ppm . I used sodium nitrate solution to get rid of mine. good luck
they sure are, i’m going to get some potassium nitrate/phosphate and bring the levels up. using salifert nitrate test kit and hanna phosphate

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They feed on nutrients. Do what I do and wont see dinos much longer. Every NIGHT, add 1ml per 10 gallons of Hydrogen peroxide. Blow at the dino with a turkey baster. DO NOT use NoPox or coral food such as Reef Roids which feed the dine. Slowly but surely you will it subside. Im on month two doing this daily and Finally I am Dino free. It destroyed almost all my SPS and created some very Unhappy LPS which are now full and colorful.
i’m definitely going to give this a try, i’ve seen it knock gha away within a week, but assumed it killed chaeto so i never tried it. well it’s dead so i might as well. my candy cane started to lose some flesh so i have stopped the dino x

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really? Where do you get hydrogen peroxide from? And do you need to get a certain percentage of peroxide? After treatment is done do you need to do large water changes ir use carbon to get rid of the peroxide?

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to second this advice from my own experience. I had dinos wipe out about 60% of my coral. The only thing that worked was to get nitrates up to around 10ppm and phosphate above 0.05ppm.

It took care of my problem in about 10 days. Never seen them since.
going to try to get my numbers around there, i hope it takes 10 days but we’ll see

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everybody,
i’ve been battling dino’s for months now. here’s the story. i bought a tank (40B with 20gal sump; custom tank/stand/sump) that was running for a bout a year and taken down because the owner lost interest, but he put the live rock in a couple 5 gallon buckets of salt water to preserve the bacteria just before we purchased the tank. i put it all together and got it up and running with fish and coral in by the end of the week (these were fish and coral he previously had; nothing crazy, just a clown and small damsel and about 20 soft corals/ easy lps). i knew the risk of putting livestock in so quickly, but i knew the rocks and my filtration were good enough. i had a nice diatom bloom and cyano right away, but as i treated the nutrient problem, dino’s popped up and have never left. i got the nutrients too low. over the past few moths i have put in more fish and upped feeding, lowered the light schedule, and it has helped a lot. so to try to kill the little that was lingering, i bought dino-x. this product made them bloom overnight and now it covers every surface, coral and even my baby yellow tang. i tried to keep on using it but after 2 weeks there has been no change. i know now i need to go after nutrients hard. going to be dosing nitrate and phosphate to get those back in balance. the problem is i don’t know the particular species of dino i have, but after hours of research i couldn’t find anything on treating different types. can i get some help on the different treatment methods for each type and some advice for dosing nitrate and phosphate(or if this will even work). thank you guys

p.s. the video uploaded has micro-bubbles everywhere because i would bubble the display for an hour to help release the dino and siphon every...single...day.....

TheGreenReefer

Its funny you say this but as soon as i started using dino x i had the exact same problem... dino bloom massivky everywhere kept growing not going down.. after about 5 days i decided to stop it and im currently looking for alternative method

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Where do you get hydrogen peroxide from? And do you need to get a certain percentage of peroxide? After treatment is done do you need to do large water changes ir use carbon to get rid of the peroxide?

pretty sure any generic brand 3% works fine. it is very safe to use in the aquarium as it’s just hydrogen and oxygen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back