Dinoflagellate takeover!!!

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled dino's by just turning off my skimmer, and not doing water changes. That's literally all I did.... kept my feeding schedule the same, and didnt add any extra fish or anything. overtime, my nutrients and phos rose and the dino started going away. After it went away fully, I started performing water change routine again, while still leaving my skimmer off. Everything stabilized shortly after so i turned my skimmer back on and just continued to balance out my import vs. export - and they stayed gone. I personally hate going the chemical route to rid anything from my tank, so that natural method helped me out big time.

I'm glad they're gone - just find that import/export balance now and don't keep your tank too clean :)

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled dino's by just turning off my skimmer, and not doing water changes. That's literally all I did.... kept my feeding schedule the same, and didnt add any extra fish or anything. overtime, my nutrients and phos rose and the dino started going away. After it went away fully, I started performing water change routine again, while still leaving my skimmer off. Everything stabilized shortly after so i turned my skimmer back on and just continued to balance out my import vs. export - and they stayed gone. I personally hate going the chemical route to rid anything from my tank, so that natural method helped me out big time.

I'm glad they're gone - just find that import/export balance now and don't keep your tank too clean :)
thank you!

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: dino’s are gone! the next step is to clean the rocks and bring down nutrients. after dosing nitrate and phosphate everything is now green. i have vibrant which i just started, but i’m worried that i’ll bring my nutrients down too low and then i’ll have a dino problem again. any advice?

C5291E37-E337-46F3-A81C-DE0117FD84A3.jpeg 5E22FD6E-F1DF-4B6E-B1B9-FC87E627C101.jpeg 604397B0-6934-42A5-BAB3-E05A8544B3DD.jpeg
did you have any issues with the hydrogen peroxide with fanacetin?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

good job. I often say dont feed coral foods, empty skimmer daily - off works and you in turn build up nutrients. Many add nutrients (E-phos, etc) which feeds the dino.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back