Dinoflagellates Again!

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has mentioned this but I’ve used a marineland micron filter charged with diatomaceous earth to kill this crap. As the previous person said blow the crap into the water column and then the diatomaceous filter will not only catch it but slice it to death. Worked for me.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be Ostreopsis.
If its ostreopsis then UV + nutrients should be sufficient. I knocked my recent (bad] outbreak completely out in 3 days of running a jebao 36w in my red sea reefer 350.
Edit: Also blew off the rocks/sand whenever I got the chance, skimmer also seemed to pull the dead stuff out. (If its ostrep it should mostly go into the water column at night.)

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has mentioned this but I’ve used a marineland micron filter charged with diatomaceous earth to kill this crap. As the previous person said blow the crap into the water column and then the diatomaceous filter will not only catch it but slice it to death. Worked for me.
What is "charged with diatomaceous earth?" I am somewhat new to this so what is that and how does that work with the water polisher?

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might actually be onto something here. I did some research into Diatomaceous earth. Diatoms apparently outcompete Dino according to a Marine Biologist. My question is, how do you use it with the Marineland water polisher?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter sock will ever catch dissolved salt. To remove actual ions, you need other kinds of filter like an RO membrane.
A 200 micron or even 100 micron filter sock will never catch dinos effectively.
Dinos come in various sizes, but range down to 5 microns.
Your filter has to have a pore size smaller than that to be highly effective.
1 micron socks are readily available.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might actually be onto something here. I did some research into Diatomaceous earth. Diatoms apparently outcompete Dino according to a Marine Biologist. My question is, how do you use it with the Marineland water polisher?

A diatomaceous earth filter will do exactly the same thing as a 1 micron filter sock.
The diatoms in diatomaceous earth are all dead, they don't compete with dinos.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all you do is put the marineland micron filter into a bucket of rodi water and add 6 tablespoons of diatomaceous earth. Run the marineland micron filter until the water in the bucket is clear. At that point the micron filter is charged and ready to go. I bought my diatomaceous earth at a pool supply store. I think the marineland power filter is like $60-$70.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you explain more about this please. I found the marineland internal filters online. I would like to know what kind of diatomaceous earth you are using and how it installs into the polisher.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter sock will ever catch dissolved salt. To remove actual ions, you need other kinds of filter like an RO membrane.
A 200 micron or even 100 micron filter sock will never catch dinos effectively.
Dinos come in various sizes, but range down to 5 microns.
Your filter has to have a pore size smaller than that to be highly effective.
1 micron socks are readily available.
This is very good. I questioned whether a 200-250 one would work. I did not know they made 1 micron socks but I just found them and am definitely going to use one to filter my water through and then put back into main display.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I failed to realize your tank is only 13.5 gallons. The flow on the marineland is too high for a tank that size. It would require you figuring out some way of running the tanks water into something bigger and then pushing the water back into the display.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I failed to realize your tank is only 13.5 gallons. The flow on the marineland is too high for a tank that size. It would require you figuring out some way of running the tanks water into something bigger and then pushing the water back into the display.
Yep, I just thought about that. So my plan is to use a 1 micron filter sock to filter the water into a bucket and then return it back to the display or something to that effect along with a UV.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
An absolutely fantastic way to reduce the dino bioload is to blow it all up into the water, and then do several filtrations through a 1 micron filter sock into a bucket. It's stunning how well and fast this works.
It's basically like dialysis for tank water. Be sure not to accidentally throw the filtered water away; this isn't a water change.
Combine it with raising your nitrate and phosphate levels (if undetectable).
IM makes a drop-in UV sterilizer that will fit in the back sump section of many AIOs.
You can also carefully use an agent like Dino X, or H2O2, to help keep dinos from coming back.
We have similar remedy. I add Peroxide and allow sump to run low which shots air bubbles forcing weakened Dino to float to the overflow to sump. I got some Mesh socks making it easy to rinse the dino right off the socks with a garden hose

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would beat these little buggers. I don’t think enough people have studied diatomaceous earth to understand its diverse applications. The stuff kills stuff not to mention it makes your water crystal clear. I think the guy on this forums name is something like PaulB he gets it.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would beat these little buggers. I don’t think enough people have studied diatomaceous earth to understand its diverse applications. The stuff kills stuff not to mention it makes your water crystal clear. I think the guy on this forums name is something like PaulB he gets it.
I am definitely reading on it. It is dead Diatoms. It would not hurt to employ multiple methods and use your suggestion along with the UV and 1 micron filter sock. I am trying to murder this stuff as it is about driving me back to freshwater only systems.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been there! The only difference may be that I was on a doctors dime to correct the situation as the tank was a focal point in his office. It was a real blow to have a beautiful aquarium get this crap coupled with a secretary accidentally spraying Lysol to close to the tank. Everything dead and a gorgeous tank becoming an eye sore. I don’t miss those days at all. The general public has no idea how challenging it can be to keep a slice of the ocean in a water box!

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been there! The only difference may be that I was on a doctors dime to correct the situation as the tank was a focal point in his office. It was a real blow to have a beautiful aquarium get this crap coupled with a secretary accidentally spraying Lysol to close to the tank. Everything dead and a gorgeous tank becoming an eye sore. I don’t miss those days at all. The general public has no idea how challenging it can be to keep a slice of the ocean in a water box!
Lol....yes...the general public does not have a clue how much goes into that box and how hard it is to keep them looking beautiful. I read and study in all of my free time and I am still clueless to a large degree. Much of what I need to do I have not even learned yet even though studying has overtaken my life. Running a tank has overtaken my life. I also run my own business so between the two, there is no time for anything else. I often ask myself why I signed up for it but the reason is that I have a fond love for fish and especially the oceans as I grew up in a beach community. I now live in Texas and there are no beaches near me so this little box is my ocean. The funny thing is...I already have plans for more tanks...and definitely a bigger tank.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol....yes...the general public does not have a clue how much goes into that box and how hard it is to keep them looking beautiful. I read and study in all of my free time and I am still clueless to a large degree. Much of what I need to do I have not even learned yet even though studying has overtaken my life. Running a tank has overtaken my life. I also run my own business so between the two, there is no time for anything else. I often ask myself why I signed up for it but the reason is that I have a fond love for fish and especially the oceans as I grew up in a beach community. I now live in Texas and there are no beaches near me so this little box is my ocean. The funny thing is...I already have plans for more tanks...and definitely a bigger tank.
I hear you. I’ve been running a fish maintenance and install business for the past 12yrs. I have 6 of my own tanks both fresh planted tanks and reefs. I’m finally on the burnout side of all this. I question why I have my own tanks when I spend all week working on others tanks. I think it boils down to I love nature and I love being able to create a thriving environment for the most beautiful creatures on the planet. I maintain this attitude, “ I know that I don’t know.” That said I’m always looking to learn new things and this is a hobby that supplies more than an ample supply of things to learn.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I’ve been running a fish maintenance and install business for the past 12yrs. I have 6 of my own tanks both fresh planted tanks and reefs. I’m finally on the burnout side of all this. I question why I have my own tanks when I spend all week working on others tanks. I think it boils down to I love nature and I love being able to create a thriving environment for the most beautiful creatures on the planet. I maintain this attitude, “ I know that I don’t know.” That said I’m always looking to learn new things and this is a hobby that supplies more than an ample supply of things to learn.
Amen. We sound alot alike

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back