Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone tried 72 hours blackbout then one week of light theen 72 hour black out and so on for a month? When I made my blackput it was gone in about 98% and came back realy slow after about two, three weeks so maybe it would help?

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone tried 72 hours blackbout then one week of light theen 72 hour black out and so on for a month? When I made my blackput it was gone in about 98% and came back realy slow after about two, three weeks so maybe it would help?

As stupid as this sounds, I'm just now doing a 72 hour blackout. I should have tried this first.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stupid as this sounds, I'm just now doing a 72 hour blackout. I should have tried this first.
It really helps a lot but some dinos will survive and then multiply again so I was thinking of repeating it, if I loose some corals it will be a small cost and save my tank from tire down.

Last edited:

dnahas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tested results of bleach and dinos at a lower strength? i.e. 0.002 / Bleach strength * system volume?

After day 1, I had signs of stress at .003/ Bleach strength * system volume - 10% and have decided to drop my dose down to .0025/Bleach strength * system volume.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tested results of bleach and dinos at a lower strength? i.e. 0.002 / Bleach strength * system volume?

After day 1, I had signs of stress at .003/ Bleach strength * system volume - 10% and have decided to drop my dose down to .0025/Bleach strength * system volume.
I tried. Didn't do anything. Even at 0.003 didn't do much, except half of my fish died... No fish in the tank, at any bleach strength, unless you want to play russian roulette with them. I took the surviving fish out and I'm trying again at 1 ml/10 gallons strength. My dinos are mostly in the sand. I doubt I'll win this battle, unfortunately

illumnae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my experiment with metronidazole was a failure. After 14 days of 250mg/10 gal followed by a 80 hour blackout, dinos are back within 48 hours of lights back on at only 40% intensity. I have also been dosing Vibrant and nitrate through this time and raised nitrate levels from 0.2 to 2. Phosphate us constant at 0.03. UWC says dinos hate that but still nada.

illumnae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add on... while the dinos have reformed on the rocks, they are so far lacking the bubbles that are the defining trait of dinos. Also when i blow them off with a turkey baster they seem powdery instead of stringy. Is this an indicatio of anything?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add on... while the dinos have reformed on the rocks, they are so far lacking the bubbles that are the defining trait of dinos. Also when i blow them off with a turkey baster they seem powdery instead of stringy. Is this an indicatio of anything?
Maybe dead, maybe different species of dinos than your original, or maybe diatoms now.

illumnae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such luck im afraid, the bubbles have appeared. Im pretty sure the dinos changed type on me. 2 days after the initial outbreak, all my snails, sea hare and herbivore fish died overnight. I started on dino x and it subsided then returned. After the return i restocked on urchins and snails and those have survived till today. I started with a toxic type and now have a non toxic type.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such luck im afraid, the bubbles have appeared. Im pretty sure the dinos changed type on me. 2 days after the initial outbreak, all my snails, sea hare and herbivore fish died overnight. I started on dino x and it subsided then returned. After the return i restocked on urchins and snails and those have survived till today. I started with a toxic type and now have a non toxic type.
Thank you. Interesting how often that story comes up. Treatment changes dino species.
If we were more careful about sifting through observations, I think we'd have a good list by now:
X treatment works vs Y dino, but is ineffective against Z dino.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Interesting how often that story comes up. Treatment changes dino species.
If we were more careful about sifting through observations, I think we'd have a good list by now:
X treatment works vs Y dino, but is ineffective against Z dino.
I agree, @taricha, that would be helpful to do, so that if people can ID their dinos under a scope, they could be better directed to a potentially successful treatment.

Just to elaborate on what you said for clarity (I know you know this, but want to make sure others reading don't get confused), dino cells can't CHANGE from one type (species) to another; in order to be seen in a tank, each visible species had to be introduced. What we see happening is that one species may be outcompeted, and another takes its place in prominence.

Also, I tagged you in the Vibrant thread to assist with an ID; you're better at that than I am. :) Thanks!

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit my above comment to say I don't think dinos (or any creature),, can change genetic makeup to become another species. I'm struggling w/issues of clarity today. o_O

illumnae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do a 2nd blackout and start peroxide tomorrow while continuing Vibrant and nitrate dosing. If this fails too I don't really know what else to do.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@taricha, here are a couple videos I took last night of the zippy round dinos that I've not been able to ID. Any ideas, oh wise one? :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha, here are a couple videos I took last night of the zippy round dinos that I've not been able to ID. Any ideas, oh wise one? :)

Interesting. Never seen these in anyone's tank before...except for mine!
First bloom I found in my tank was amphidinium in some spots, and these in others. See if you think it matches.
10 sec Video of movement...

Google animation moving the focal plane through the dino showing plate/groove structure.
https://goo.gl/photos/zbW8bzZgGh7UPGheA

Best ID I can figure is Coolia monotonis
There's a couple of vids on YouTube of coolia movement/shape that matches pretty well.

Although it doesn't string up as well or gravitate to high flow areas as much as ostreopsis - by structure, toxicity, and family relation... it's considered close to ostreopsis, so I'd treat it as such.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Never seen these in anyone's tank before...except for mine!
First bloom I found in my tank was amphidinium in some spots, and these in others. See if you think it matches.
10 sec Video of movement...

Google animation moving the focal plane through the dino showing plate/groove structure.
https://goo.gl/photos/zbW8bzZgGh7UPGheA

Best ID I can figure is Coolia monotonis
There's a couple of vids on YouTube of coolia movement/shape that matches pretty well.

Although it doesn't string up as well or gravitate to high flow areas as much as ostreopsis - by structure, toxicity, and family relation... it's considered close to ostreopsis, so I'd treat it as such.

@taricha, Cool Google animation! Yup, appearance and movement definitely looks like a match to me. Looking up coolia monotis on YouTube, it made me wish I spoke/read Spanish, as several of the videos were in Spanish. Wish there were more in English so I could learn more. We don't have many in our tank, never more than a couple in my field of view in the scope. Are coolia benethic like amphidinium, or planktonic like ostreopsis? I've found them on the foam guard for our Ecotech pump, but haven't looked to see if they're on the sand with some of our amphidinium. We've not had any visible strands since Nov, and all I remember seeing under the scope then were ostreopsis...though I wasn't looking for anything else, either, at the time.

Side note: I'll have to do some more research on this. We had no deaths (not even snails or hermits) in our tank from the ostreopsis infestation (though we kicked it before it was too bad), so our variety must be lower toxicity than some. If coolia is similar in toxicity as you mentioned, that may mean I should rethink the livestock order I was going to place tomorrow. We were going to get a couple tiger conchs and a diamond watchman goby for sand aeration. Any ideas if low quantities of coolia ingestion would be harmful to these guys? Any sand sifters/cleaners in your tank when coolia was present?

Thanks very much! :)

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back