Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the test to see if it's Dino or diatoms? I'm noticing a lot of brown dusty algae growing on my glass...

Search for paper towel test dinoflagellates. Diatoms and dinos should both pass through, but dinos should actively regroup in 15 minutes or so.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys

Reason why I'm Dino free......

No I don't have the cure..Instead misidentification.

Check this from Fauna Marin.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the pictures They look really big a little bit different as usual

I should have better pirtcures ,but u think that what you have is not the normal Dinoflagellate its the zooxanthelles from the corals

did you have actual water parameters ?

It is possible that Zooxantheles leave the corals and get a mass growing inside a tank

rgds claude

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes buddy. I suppose if you think about it. How does the coral capture the zoox in the wild. How do they 'recover' after bleaching.

They are not as hardy as Dino's as normally protected by the coral tissue.

It's good Vs bad.

Even when times are hard and we are fighting the enemy. Not all are.

I guess this could explain the different Dino sizes often seen in tanks.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly though this means my tank doesn't have the immunity some build up. So just as suspecting to the bad dudes as the next guy/gal.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys

Reason why I'm Dino free......

No I don't have the cure..Instead misidentification.

Check this from Fauna Marin.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the pictures They look really big a little bit different as usual

I should have better pirtcures ,but u think that what you have is not the normal Dinoflagellate its the zooxanthelles from the corals

did you have actual water parameters ?

It is possible that Zooxantheles leave the corals and get a mass growing inside a tank

rgds claude
Hmmm.. that is a theory I had... I had a huge torch just up and die on me.. I never removed it..right after that..is when I got dinos.. I always wondered if it could be zooxantheles...

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zooxanthelles theory explains a lot.. the "dinos" would really grow when I broadcast fed my corals with coral food.. and my dinos never moved under a scope.. like they was dead.. wonder if zooxanthelles move?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paullawr how do you tell the difference between zoo an dino? ..
It was the size. I admit they were large cells. I could clearly see them at 1000x mag where osteo looked about half their size at that magnification.

Difference in the way they swam and sadly (cannot believe I'm now saying this) faired not so well outside. Having said this they did try and form a colony just no where near as successful as the strains that do not wish to be homed by the coral.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zooxanthelles theory explains a lot.. the "dinos" would really grow when I broadcast fed my corals with coral food.. and my dinos never moved under a scope.. like they was dead.. wonder if zooxanthelles move?
Yes they did but much slower. My initial picture i uploaded seemed to have sped up their motion during the conversion process from avi. I'd say four maybe five times.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried dosing phytoplankton or copepods to out-compete the dino's?
Yes bud. People have added thousand of copepods (no exaggeration).

Phytoplakton is a universe apart and does nothing really other than keeping your pods with a full belly ,(no bad thing i might say).

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Claude then goes on to say (added inline comments).

You had not the normal stuff it was the zooxanthelles of your corals they are throwing out due the limitation

(Paullawr - agree with this. A number of my corals bleached - due to ultra low nutrients. Corals alive still but no colouration...Bleaching is the rapid expulsion of zooxanthelles).

the Algea X dod not work good against them cause they do not react like normal algeas outside of the host

(Paullawr - I didn't try dino x in this instance.)

They "eat" nothing so they do not get in touch with DinoX ! but
Due to the dosing you raise up nutrient and that helps you out

(Interesting. I've said for a long time dinoflagellates consume yet have been told on here they do not. It would therefore seem we are both correct and the dinoflagellates that are affected are the ones to directly ingest material and...Dino x) whilst the phototrophic are not affected.

Hence why some have success with treatments and many don't.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes them but much slower. My initial picture i uploaded seemed to have sped up their motion during the conversion process from avi. I'd say four maybe five times.
I only have a 40x..and I can see them clear..but never moving

Back