Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well zoos are phototrophic, the question is how long can they surive in darkness. A long while. Corals do survive long shipping.

This whole 14 day blackout that's been bounced around might not be that far fetched.

It would explain a lot.

It would explain why Dino x works on some not all.
It would explain why some have success with black outs not all.

And here's the real kicker.

Many have reported more than one Dino. Not out the realms of impossibility to have a phototrophic and mixotroph population.

Thus hitting with a chemical maybe harmful to one but not the other.

Instead the aquarists then opens the door to the other less dominate strain which takes over. After that few day honeymoon when the tank looks a lot clearer.
Only to get back the crap again. Only it's not the strain they had successfully killed.

I know there's a few IFs and buts here however from what I've been informed is the smoking gun imo. As it clearly differentiates the different responses.

Lastly... :) Dino x indicates you use as normal. Daytime lights etc. If you have a phototrophic strain Dino x won't do diddly. If you have both strains Dino's x will kill one of them but to you will do diddly.

Seems to me the test is going to be Dino x and extended lights out. 14 day +

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Claude also mentioned me increasing nitrates helped me out. It would of stopped expulsion. Reduced the number in the water column.

Oh crap now i remember..... :O

My first Dino issue I had was in my first tank and i recalled.seeing the zoas expel Dino's from their mouth. (Too much light too quick. I was a noob back then! # don't say it...I still am #). Ten days later i had my first mini Dino bloom. It wasn't all out but was noticeable. Too much of a coincidence.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bad news from today :( I took a sample of suspicious brown string and saw ovata again, nothing of round dinos, only o. Ovata. They were not moving but are there :( I think now that peroxide and blackout makes them change shape to round cell to encyst and if the condicions are right ( no more peroxide) they come back to they normal shape. I dont know what to do now, start peroxide again before they reproduce? Peroxide really keeps they in check but I thing I will need to add it forever and my zoas and acan are really not looking good lately and I dont know if its becouse peroxide, slightly overdosing vibrant or dinos.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I'm saying here is that if we take it right right right back to basics.

We have
Organism A that indjests food and light.
Organism B that uses solely light.

Aquarist may have A, B, A+B.

Blackout may work for some with B but not A.

Dino x or similar may work with A not B group of people.

Group A+B may have been treated with one or the other to no noticeable effect. As both groups exist.

Let's not.forgry to.add.in aquarist error.

Not blacking out sufficiently.
Not blacking out for long enough.
Not using Dino x for long enough.
No using combined approach.
Not factoring in cyst stage.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jolanta

Hi Jolanta
Read my last few posts from today.

Have you got Dino x. I don't want to sound as though im advocating it. Still use it but with extended light out period. May need to relocate corals to holding tank.

Round cells.may not be cysts either
Could be other strain.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bad news from today :( I took a sample of suspicious brown string and saw ovata again, nothing of round dinos, only o. Ovata. They were not moving but are there :( I think now that peroxide and blackout makes them change shape to round cell to encyst and if the condicions are right ( no more peroxide) they come back to they normal shape. I dont know what to do now, start peroxide again before they reproduce? Peroxide really keeps they in check but I thing I will need to add it forever and my zoas and acan are really not looking good lately and I dont know if its becouse peroxide, slightly overdosing vibrant or dinos.
Please advise water params and put some photos and videos up. I will ask Claude to have a look. He is super busy but he's very helpful.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally.....

HI Paul

There is so many **** on the internet that is really not to believe. Sometimes i am really thinking about to stop to do any work in

internet cause i cannot believe what the people explain and tell to the normal users

Dinoflagellates use all nutrints they can get and so much that all other things in the tank will die.
When you give some nitrate you can push the normal bacteral cycle and that is the best way to get rid of the Dinos,
cause our good normal bacterias work against them,

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jolanta

Hi Jolanta
Read my last few posts from today.

Have you got Dino x. I don't want to sound as though im advocating it. Still use it but with extended light out period. May need to relocate corals to holding tank.

Round cells.may not be cysts either
Could be other strain.
I readed it all thank you, its interesting. In my case every time I go peroxide or blackout I can see only round dinos afterwards and quicking peroxide and only some days to see ostreopsis once again. I really dont undestant whats going on :(

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I readed it all thank you, its interesting. In my case every time I go peroxide or blackout I can see only round dinos afterwards and quicking peroxide and only some days to see ostreopsis once again. I really dont undestant whats going on :(
Sounds like cysts but without a qualified marine biologist whom can give a 100% ID - we are all best guessing.

I've asked Claude if he can give you some advice.

He does indicate good bacteria does have a.negative effect combined with nutrient increment.

Osteo may actually be affected by Dino x bizarrely enough as someone posted pretty damning evidence it worked for him. With photos.

I am going to take a step back now though as I'm no more an expert that yourself.

I just think some of us have been battling several strains.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dino free for 2 months.. now they are coming back..and im starting to think they are zoo..and not dinos.. like I said this all started..when my huge torch died.. they started at the base of the dead torch.. wish I could get good pic

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I were you I would try going without the peroxide for awhile and just continue vibrant. See if they subside again. Only one way to know if you really need the peroxide or if your dosing it for no reason. Thats to tough through not dosing it and just use vibrant for a bit.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please advise water params and put some photos and videos up. I will ask Claude to have a look. He is super busy but he's very helpful.
My params from today is
Ca 405
Kh 7.3
Mag 1290
Nitrate 25
All the above with salifert
And my phosphate is 0.024
30fd3bc5ac53888b36cd8d90c4792f96.jpg

I ready give a huge amount of flakes, nori but my phosphate want up more than 0.03

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally.....

HI Paul

There is so many **** on the internet that is really not to believe. Sometimes i am really thinking about to stop to do any work in

internet cause i cannot believe what the people explain and tell to the normal users

Dinoflagellates use all nutrints they can get and so much that all other things in the tank will die.
When you give some nitrate you can push the normal bacteral cycle and that is the best way to get rid of the Dinos,
cause our good normal bacterias work against them,
So its a good idea to add prodibio or microbacter and add nitrates but mine ara already at 25, I think its a good number and its steady.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would try going without the peroxide for awhile and just continue vibrant. See if they subside again. Only one way to know if you really need the peroxide or if your dosing it for no reason. Thats to tough through not dosing it and just use vibrant for a bit.
But Im scared if I can see them on the microscope if I let them reproduce they will go over my tank once again ... Maybe I will try to let my tank be with out peroxide some more days and see what happens. Thank you for your advise!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paullawr It sounds like Claude is giving out the same advice that me and a few others here have been preaching.....stop waiting so long for his replies and just read here! ;)

My params from today is
Ca 405
Kh 7.3
Mag 1290
Nitrate 25
All the above with salifert
And my phosphate is 0.024

How many days has it been?

Get those PO4 numbers up!! With nitrates that high you'll need it. :)

Get some of this or something similar or start using it now!!
NeoPhos
neophos_2.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(With phosphates in the water, there should be nothing to worry about from dino's, BTW. Phosphates also helps to prevent bleaching/dino expulsion, @Paullawr.)

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paullawr It sounds like Claude is giving out the same advice that me and a few others here have been preaching.....stop waiting so long for his replies and just read here! ;)

How many days has it been?

Get those PO4 numbers up!! With nitrates that high you'll need it. :)

Get some of this or something similar or start using it now!!
NeoPhos
neophos_2.jpg
Thank you very much I didnt knew exist product to rise phosphates, I will search to buy it. ;)

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Im scared if I can see them on the microscope if I let them reproduce they will go over my tank once again ... Maybe I will try to let my tank be with out peroxide some more days and see what happens. Thank you for your advise!
@Jolanta, just to encourage you: we still find Ostreo, Coolia, and Aphidinium cells in our samples, and have since Nov, BUT no dino strands form or bloom. (Of course, I wish I did not find any, but it is what it is. Without my scope, I would assume the dinos were long gone.) Like @mcarroll suggests, I, too, think you are in a good place w/dino population. Once you increase your phosphate a bit, your nutrients will be in good shape and will help the "good" things in your tank increase in number. I know it's tough, but don't stress too much about those lingering cells. I've continued Vibrant and dose mb7 for some additional detritus removal and bacteria variety. (Other bottled bacterias would also be good, I think.)

Keep thinking positive thoughts! :)

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back