Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little green boogers are actually mushrooms. They are looking a lot better already.

Hard to quote on my ipad.

"That's terrifying/hilarious about syringe of dinos."

I'm not sure my boss understood exactly how dangerous it was. I had the thing turned upwards, with my other hand underneath it just in case, cradling it like a baby. Second day, introduces dinos to the 700k system. Would not be a good start.
If you manage to sort it in 11 days please do tell. Most of the people.on here have been waving the war for years.

If you are looking for a band aid (asthetic only) and cheapest option.

Black out tank fully with black vinyl wrap or bin bags ensuring the last of three days coincides with the night before earth day.
If you absolutely have to illuminate it, get some very cheap low grade led preferably blue 50k spectrum ideally). If not sure just blue and no greater than 10 watts.

It will get you through the day.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im about 1 month into the dance of death with dino. Pretty sure i have Ostreopsis. What i've tested sofar is:

* Removing the sandbed.
This mainly resulted in the dino starting to "cover" the corals (SPS and zoas) and building a blanket more or less suffocating them.
* Manual removal daily
Little to no results besides alot of manual work. Might have a little impact but nothing significant.
* Dose KNO3 and KH2PO4 to maintain 10 ppm no3 and 0.08 ppm po4
Huge cyano infection, removed this bugger with some chemi-clean so back to square one.

Im trying to maintain No3 at 10 ppm and Po4 at 0.08 ppm to encourage other microorganisms. I also have zero green algae since it all started and im guessing they will come when the tides turn. Im debating on if i should reduce skimming to to afew hours aday or just turn it off for afew days.

Any ideas?

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im about 1 month into the dance of death with dino. Pretty sure i have Ostreopsis. What i've tested sofar is:

* Removing the sandbed.
This mainly resulted in the dino starting to "cover" the corals (SPS and zoas) and building a blanket more or less suffocating them.
* Manual removal daily
Little to no results besides alot of manual work. Might have a little impact but nothing significant.
Huge cyano infection, removed this bugger with some chemi-clean so back to square one.

Im trying to maintain No3 at 10 ppm and Po4 at 0.08 ppm to encourage other microorganisms. I also have zero green algae since it all started and im guessing they will come when the tides turn. Im debating on if i should reduce skimming to to afew hours aday or just turn it off for afew days.

Any ideas?
I've been fighting these guys for quite a while. Now, after trying basically everything other folks have tried, I just finished removing the sand bed for the first time. Based on what I've learned so far from my previous failures and the successes I see, I think you need to keep doing what you mention above, but you also need to attack them with something. I will try Vibrant for the second time and see how it goes, but others have tried Dino-X, peroxide dosing (H2O2). For some, blackouts help, at least temporarily. In any case, you should consider running some activated carbon to take care of toxins they release if/when they die. And be patient and systematic. There is no magic remedy available, unfortunately.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting these guys for quite a while. Now, after trying basically everything other folks have tried, I just finished removing the sand bed for the first time. Based on what I've learned so far from my previous failures and the successes I see, I think you need to keep doing what you mention above, but you also need to attack them with something. I will try Vibrant for the second time and see how it goes, but others have tried Dino-X, peroxide dosing (H2O2). For some, blackouts help, at least temporarily. In any case, you should consider running some activated carbon to take care of toxins they release if/when they die. And be patient and systematic. There is no magic remedy available, unfortunately.

Yeah thats probably true :) Guess ill experiment the upcoming week since im off for 10 days! =) Regarding skimming its a pretty double edged sword. I dont know if the skimmer is capable off removing dead dinocells or live for that mather? If so skimming seems pretty nessecary, guess it wouldnt hurt to test out for 2-3 days.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats probably true :) Guess ill experiment the upcoming week since im off for 10 days! =) Regarding skimming its a pretty double edged sword. I dont know if the skimmer is capable off removing dead dinocells or live for that mather? If so skimming seems pretty nessecary, guess it wouldnt hurt to test out for 2-3 days.
The skimmer won't help you much on removing dinos, but it is still important for the overall health of the tank, removing organics, helping with oxygenation. Some mechanical filtering can help though, trapping dinos if/when they are in the water column

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article, there you have my round cell
b977a20645a8c27a40f16b300ce571d4.jpg

The sad think they didnt do the study to kill them.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it would just had said... put your left hand in the tank..while spinning..chanting be gone be gone be gone... and poof gone.. :p
LOL - Yeah. But still, seeing some serious, scientific work being done is encouraging and brings some hope.
By the way, thinking about it, I'm going to try your "left hand in the tank" trick and see if it works. You never know... LOL!

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - Yeah. But still, seeing some serious, scientific work being done is encouraging and brings some hope.
By the way, thinking about it, I'm going to try your "left hand in the tank" trick and see if it works. You never know... LOL!
I agree.. it is more than us reef hobbyist..trying everything under the sun.. using a non-controlled environment.. and a toysrus microscope...

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.. it is more than us reef hobbyist..trying everything under the sun.. using a non-controlled environment.. and a toysrus microscope...
Hey speak for yourself :p my microscope is quality China man made. Complete with chinglish instructions. They read as follows 'Deer hobbyfun person. You buy and you like like dreamy vision for a beautiful world in big. See everything like special fishman.'

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest craze on reef central is to add both nutrients and bacterial cultures by carefully dipping your unwashed armpits in to tank.

It's got mixed results though.

Trying hard to work out whether it's old pit syndrome.
All sorts of issues -
Brand of deodorant
Arm pit hair length
Colour of hair...

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey speak for yourself :p my microscope is quality China man made. Complete with chinglish instructions. They read as follows 'Deer hobbyfun person. You buy and you like like dreamy vision for a beautiful world in big. See everything like special fishman.'
lol..yours had direction?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was most $$ toyrus has.. lol.. but to be fair.. it did prove what the snot is.. but the ones the study used ...I could buy a small house.. lol

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

* Removing the sandbed.
* Manual removal daily

Any ideas?

I think you're on target with what you're doing....just needs more time! :) I skimmed as hard and wet as I was able to. Also used activated carbon to help with toxins in the water and a little bit of GFO to help even out my PO4 with my NO3 a little. (My tank was mostly NO3-deprived.)

PO4 is probably higher than you need it to be, but I don't think it should hurt anything like that. I'd certainly let it drop at least a little once you have some signs that things are turning around. .02+ I imagine would be fine....especially once things are growing in a more stable manner.

Persistent physical removal should eventually eliminate the toxic critters in the tank.

Under the favorable conditions you're providing, new growth (eventually) won't be in toxic mode anymore. Then it will be edible.

In my case, it seemed like roughly once my crud visibly changed (to a more cyano-based population, I suspect) it was safe for a clean up crew.

(Didn't have a microscope to get any more quantitative than that. And start small....my first clean up crew was too soon.)

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • D/C

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Both

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 9 20.9%
Back