Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting reports in here these days.
The Si dosing test is one that's been talked about off and on, but never actually done. Was always "I'll try that one after a couple other things"

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Can't wait to hear about the progress. PS-is that snow in the background?
I would like to see some snow :) I miss it sometimes. I from Poland and there is a lot of snow there, but where I live now (Salamanca,Mexico) gets really hot those days, it never snows here, even in wintertime. The snow from my picture are my filter sock that I just cleaned ;)
That's right - hell is about to freeze over. @Jolanta is about to murder some bugs.
I tried the filter but I think the bag is demageds couse I tried it in a 20 liters bucked and put in there about 100 grams of powder, water got cloudy and started to clear with about 10-15 minutes but I think is too long for so small amount of water so maybe the bag is demaged and let some powder out, also the filter got pretty hot , so I better ask some advise a Paul B before use it in my tank.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting reports in here these days.
The Si dosing test is one that's been talked about off and on, but never actually done. Was always "I'll try that one after a couple other things"
I actually plan or planned do it Taricha. I just need a couple of weeks to get my params in check. I say planned as vibrant might actually be ridding the Dino's....
Will see.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see some snow :) I miss it sometimes. I from Poland and there is a lot of snow there, but where I live now (Salamanca,Mexico) gets really hot those days, it never snows here, even in wintertime. The snow from my picture are my filter sock that I just cleaned ;)

I tried the filter but I think the bag is demageds couse I tried it in a 20 liters bucked and put in there about 100 grams of powder, water got cloudy and started to clear with about 10-15 minutes but I think is too long for so small amount of water so maybe the bag is demaged and let some powder out, also the filter got pretty hot , so I better ask some advise a Paul B before use it in my tank.
I'm sure that's a common fault and no it wasn't the bag. It can back powder in to tank. See what he says.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that's a common fault and no it wasn't the bag. It can back powder in to tank. See what he says.
He said its normal, so Im using it now, I started it about en hour before the light turn on to catch dinos in a water column, then when the light turned on I blowed all my rock and a little bit of sand for the detritus to come off, It wasnt much couse I already blowed my tank from detritus couse of ADN practice in the other treat. Now I only sit and enjoy my coffe watching the tank get cleared :)
e8d90814a5efb4b336bfee13fe2b2696.jpg
b76b173f50be185282de4b071c3562f6.jpg

I hope Im doing it the right way. I used 3 cups of diatom eart. Thats how the bag looked
a7b1eb23070a872ffe13cd5934381a17.jpg
b6bb66c9b2a5c10c1085a5eba6b570ae.jpg

My fish seem to enjoy the filter outlet couse they swimm all around it.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the filter and how the tank looks after it, I was thinking my water was clear but seeing it now, I know it wasnt :) It looks like there is no water in. I only run the filter for 4 hours couse it got really hot and I didnt wanted to burn it. It got so hot that I couldn't touch it more then a second. I think I will use it maybe once in a week and if I won't see the dinos return maybe once a month or so. The good think is my walls stayed dry ;) but my floor doesn't :)

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my first dose of Phosphorous last night as the refugium lights came on. (reverse photoperiod) I turned off the supply flow to the refugium and waited for the water to drop before dosing. Since this is the tank with the macroalgae and chaeto this is the one I need to dose. After dosing I waited a good 10 min or so before turning the flow back on. I'll dose at night every night during treatment. I did a just under a full dose according to the Seachem Flourish Phosphorous bottle (I know this is for planted tanks but needed a starting dose) For my tank 160 gal total volume the recommended dose was 40 ml with the instructions for dosing at 5ml per 20 gal of water, I dosed 30 ml. All water samples for testing are pulled from the display tank in am.

Day 0
N03 N/A
P04 measured at 0
Dosed 30 ml of P2O5 into refugium

Day 1
N03 N/A
P04 measured at 0
No noticeable coral changes.
No noticeable difference in Dinos.
No noticeable algae growth or color change.
Removed some Red Slime mats from the refugium so it doesn't compete for the phosphate

Good luck. Just watch that p04 level and effects on coral.
I'll keep watching and feeding as normal. I did feed my Acans last night in the dark when their feeding tentacles were out. My corals as few as there are are all still happy except for the acro which is starving due to the super low nutrients. As I don't expect it to pop back I do hope to see it stop bleaching and hopefully see some polyp extension when I start dosing KN03.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my first dose of Phosphorous last night as the refugium lights came on. (reverse photoperiod) I turned off the supply flow to the refugium and waited for the water to drop before dosing. Since this is the tank with the macroalgae and chaeto this is the one I need to dose. After dosing I waited a good 10 min or so before turning the flow back on. I'll dose at night every night during treatment. I did a just under a full dose according to the Seachem Flourish Phosphorous bottle (I know this is for planted tanks but needed a starting dose) For my tank 160 gal total volume the recommended dose was 40 ml with the instructions for dosing at 5ml per 20 gal of water, I dosed 30 ml. All water samples for testing are pulled from the display tank in am.

Day 0
N03 N/A
P04 measured at 0
Dosed 30 ml of P2O5 into refugium

Day 1
N03 N/A
P04 measured at 0
No noticeable coral changes.
No noticeable difference in Dinos.
No noticeable algae growth or color change.
Removed some Red Slime mats from the refugium so it doesn't compete for the phosphate

I'll keep watching and feeding as normal. I did feed my Acans last night in the dark when their feeding tentacles were out. My corals as few as there are are all still happy except for the acro which is starving due to the super low nutrients. As I don't expect it to pop back I do hope to see it stop bleaching and hopefully see some polyp extension when I start dosing KN03.
Keep us updated please!

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too started dosing Seachem Phosphorus a few days ago. First two days dosed as pboutin did -- followed the instructions on the bottle for a planted tank. So for my 275 gallon system I dosed 10ML. I swear the next day I noticed something different. I've been dealing with one kind of outbreak (dinos, cyano, GHA) for most of the past 6 years so I've gotten an eye for it ;-) Anyway it seemed like after two days of 10ML a day the dinos looked different. Keeping with the slow and steady mantra I've backed off to 5ML each of the last two days.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too started dosing Seachem Phosphorus a few days ago. First two days dosed as pboutin did -- followed the instructions on the bottle for a planted tank. So for my 275 gallon system I dosed 10ML. I swear the next day I noticed something different. I've been dealing with one kind of outbreak (dinos, cyano, GHA) for most of the past 6 years so I've gotten an eye for it ;-) Anyway it seemed like after two days of 10ML a day the dinos looked different. Keeping with the slow and steady mantra I've backed off to 5ML each of the last two days.

Keeping up a supply of NO3 as well? Have you noticed any difference in demand?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I returned home from work with joy to see my cristal clear tank but sadly I saw some small new brown string in the rock :( Here they come again I think :(

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I returned home from work with joy to see my cristal clear tank but sadly I saw some small new brown string in the rock :( Here they come again I think :(

Just keep at it. Blow it off, suck it up, continue treatment. What's your nitrate and phosphate levels and is the turf scrubber still green?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep at it. Blow it off, suck it up, continue treatment. What's your nitrate and phosphate levels and is the turf scrubber still green?
I think I will need to use diatom filter really often. My scruber is green and now have also some ciano on it but only small patches. My sump part with scruber is literally red now. My nutrients are phosphate 0.059 ( ulr hanna phosphorus checker) and nitrates something about 30 ( salifert test).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good increase in PO4. Throttle back your dose until you don't see the PO4 test number rise anymore than it is. .05 and under would be my "OK range".

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good increase in PO4. Throttle back your dose until you don't see the PO4 test number rise anymore than it is. .05 and under would be my "OK range".
I didnt dosed yet Mcarroll, the day my phosphate aditive arrived I checked the phosphate and as my tank looked better and the test had a good result I decided to wait. My phosphate levels always rise after the blackout and then when my dinos return slowly they go down once again, so now my plan is to add it when I see it under 0.05.
Im just loosing hope once again :( The dinos always fools me after the blackout, couse it looks so good, I think Im winning and as the days pass with lights on I know it was temporaly and they will win again.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually plan or planned do it Taricha. I just need a couple of weeks to get my params in check. I say planned as vibrant might actually be ridding the Dino's....
Will see.
I believe Dr Randy Holmes doses (or used to dose) Si. There's a great article he wrote a while back. You can google for it

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received in the mail my Nitrate pro test kit and my Seed Ranch order of KN03. I took a baseline reading for Nitrates and as suspected was at 0. I mixed a solution of KN03 of 12.34 grams of KN03 and filled the container to 500 ml with RODI water. This will give my tank of 160 gal 0.25 ppm of Nitrate with a dose of 10 ml. I'm no scientist so I got this calculation from https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php If you think this is off please let me know. I opted to stick to the ppm that the test kit tests at (not that this makes much of a difference but .25 is a good number to go with). My dosing is again in the refugium after flow turned off and water level stable.

IMG_5400.JPG IMG_5399.JPG

For the curious, here are the compound breakdowns from the calculations:
Mix 12.34 grams of KNO3 to 500mL RODI. Adding 10mL of this mix to 160 gal aquarium to yield:
Element ppm/degree
NO3 0.25
N 0.06
K 0.16

Dose 40 ml of Flourish Phosphorus to 160 gal aquarium adds:
Element ppm/degree
K2O 0.13
K 0.11
P2O5 0.2
P 0.09
PO4 0.26

So considering that my initial dose was only 30 ml, that would have raised my PO4 to 0.2. Something is consuming it!

Side note: I decided for the sake of research I will not manually clean, scrub or blow off the Dinos from the rocks. This way I can easily observe rise or decline of visible dinos. Since my tank is so new and so clean the dinos are not brown but more translucent brown/yellow snot like. I have little to no dinos on the sand or in shaded areas of the tank. I have not observed as much dion growth in my refugium it seems to be most prevalent in my display tank. Also I'm not running my skimmer or GFO and Carbon. Nor am I cleaning my glass. I only have my bio-reactor running keeping my nutrients too low to measure.

Day 1 - continued
N03 measured at 0
Mixed 500 ml solution of KN03 to 10 ml = 0.25 ppm of N03 per 160 gal
Dosed 10 ml of KN03
Dosed 40 ml of P2O5
I observed some pods moving around in the algae were I couldn't find them before.

Day 2
N03 measured at 0
P04 measured at 0
Observations:
Dinos don't seem to be affected by the spike of Nitrates overnight (I'll take some pictures so I can compare better)
My corals looked a bit upset by the swing
My fish seem unaffected
The algae looks about the same (hard to tell if its greening up) I'll take some pictures so I can compare better

After my initial results it seems I need to test to see how fast the uptake is. Depending on that result I may have to dose more often throughout the day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back