Dinos am I treating the right way?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading every thing I can about Dinos . I have identified as best I can with the paper towel test as I do not have a microscope. They are gone in the morning but by night they are back in force. This out break was my fault as with this hectic week I let my NO3 and PO4 zero out.

I have since increased my NO3 up to about 10 and PO4 is now at .04 I started today with a Blackout and added a Corallife turbo twist 9w UV under the tank in the sump.

Tank Red Sea Reefer 250 65 Gallon total Mostly SPS

As of today Paramiters are

NO3 - 10
PO4 .04
ALK. 7.8
Cal 420
Mag 1420
Sali 1.026
Am I attacking this the right way ? I have also been reading a HO2O2 but I am unsure ?

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is what brought my NO3 and Po4 to zero because I wasn't paying attention during a hectic week.
Vibrant Cured my Alga problem over time but when Alga gone Numbers bottomed out allowing the Dinos to take hold. At least That is what I am thinking.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont add dinos to vibrant. Add another uv sterilizer
rOXIN 11W Aquarium Water Green Bloom Clean Light Aquarium Green Clean Light for Fish Tank Pump Pond

This inside your bubble wall in sump works perfect

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'd you could do a hob uv or the green killing machine inside main display it will clear up faster if its osteo dino

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Ordered the rOXIN from Amazon will be here tomorrow. I am thinking of putting it in my Overflow. That way it will kill what goes through there and then picked up buy my Fleece roller. Or should I just keep it in the Sump at the baffle wall?

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it as close to your display as possible since that's where you have the dino

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What indid with this one in my nano is cover it with pvc so nothing gets exposed to uv. But in overflow you'll be fine with out a cover

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up on treatment. I blacked out my tank for 3 days and added that rOXIN uv light to the sump. I first put it in the overflow but was concerned about the light going into the tank as the overflow is Smoked glass . Raised my Nitrates up slowly now back to about 10 and PO4 .04.
Doubled up on Microbacter7 .

All seams gone and doing good . Some of my SPS corals lost a little color but should perk back up in a week or 2.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't microbacter7 just a carbon source like vodka or red seas no3/po4x.

I used it to seed my last tank. From BRS https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/microbacter7-complete-bioculture-brightwell-aquatics.html

"Complex system of non-pathogenic aerobic and anaerobic microbes, as well as natural enzymes, specifically formulated to establish biological filtration in new aquarium set-ups, and to enhance the rate of nitrification, denitrification, and organic waste degradation in marine and freshwater aquaria through complete nutrient remineralization."

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back