Dinos got me feeling defeated

taricha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry I cannot make out a species ID based on that photo. More magnification and/ or video might help.
Same here. I lean against ostreopsis, but can't say for sure.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
R

Reeferbo619

View Badges
Reaction score
The easiest and quickest remedy for me was to raise my nutrient levels and wait for a week or two. I think the cause of dinos outbreak is the imbalance of micro biological diversity. I started with dry rock and kept my nutrient low. Since dinos can survive in a ULNS tank, where some other bacteria cannot survive, dinos flourishes and gets dominant in a less-bio-diversified tank.
By raising NO3 and PO4 in your tank, other types of competing bacteria population starts to grow, making the bacteria balance in your tank more stabled.
I do not recommend adding some off-the-shelf bacteria. That kind of bacteria is designed to keep you adding in your tank, meaning those products are not naturally sustainable in your home tank. You'll need naturally grown and balanced bacteria in your own tank. I've tried Microbactor 7, Zorbak, and some other products, and nothing worked.
The key is maturity of bacteria balance in your tank. To foster this, just raise your nutrient levels and wait for the competing bacteria to grow. Try not to add non-natural products. Theoretically, some methods like UV or very fine filter sock may work, but not necessary.
I also tried adding live rock, but didn't work well. One of my friends heavily stocked with live rock has experienced dinos outbreak, too. His tank was ULNS, so too-low nutrient may not be good.
Instead of eliminating or defeating it, try raising competing bacteria by doing nothing, but raising your nutrient levels. I believe this is the cheapest, easiest, and fastest way of defeating it. Hope it works for you.
Yas
Yes I agree. I’ve been trying to raise nutrients natural ways by stepping up feeding schedule and turning skimmer off.. also my refuge is has been off.

OP
R

Reeferbo619

View Badges
Reaction score
looking at pic.. ostr UV will work.. plumbed into display and run carbon.

If they are small have a a point.. ostr.. if more round.. could be coolia and my understanding with coolia sand gets better at night but not really into water column..... they go down under the sand..... so for coolia i dosed Silica created a massive diatom bloom for 2 weeks... it worked.... then i had ostr.........UV plumbed in display works..... plus i recently took out my sand bed to help fight GHA that i couldnt get rid of for ever.. and i also liked the idea of removing it will help not get Dinos.. and my tank is looking pretty sharp. GHA is fading slowly...

i had large amph, coolia and ostr at once.. i was in hell...

along with silicas... i dosed No3 and po4.. i kept po4 .1 minimum...
I’m liking the idea of getting rid of the sand more and more. But I’d be open to putting a new sand bed back in and watch my nitrate phosphate levels closely never letting them bottom out again

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m liking the idea of getting rid of the sand more and more. But I’d be open to putting a new sand bed back in and watch my nitrate phosphate levels closely never letting them bottom out again
that being said... i read people put sand back in and it came back...

I liked the natural look of sand.... but removing it.. i can say as of now.. i dont regret it one bit.. i love it.. i actually wish i started like this... MY ONLY complaint is when i see a snail flipped over it was so easy to flip in sand now the shells slide and i dont want to put my hands in the tank so its a PITA with my coral feeder.. lolololol my only problem

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Do you consider the hobby of keeping saltwater reef aquarums amazing?

• YES

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • NO

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
SALGADO AQUATICS