Dinos got me feeling defeated

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I cannot make out a species ID based on that photo. More magnification and/ or video might help.
Same here. I lean against ostreopsis, but can't say for sure.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest and quickest remedy for me was to raise my nutrient levels and wait for a week or two. I think the cause of dinos outbreak is the imbalance of micro biological diversity. I started with dry rock and kept my nutrient low. Since dinos can survive in a ULNS tank, where some other bacteria cannot survive, dinos flourishes and gets dominant in a less-bio-diversified tank.
By raising NO3 and PO4 in your tank, other types of competing bacteria population starts to grow, making the bacteria balance in your tank more stabled.
I do not recommend adding some off-the-shelf bacteria. That kind of bacteria is designed to keep you adding in your tank, meaning those products are not naturally sustainable in your home tank. You'll need naturally grown and balanced bacteria in your own tank. I've tried Microbactor 7, Zorbak, and some other products, and nothing worked.
The key is maturity of bacteria balance in your tank. To foster this, just raise your nutrient levels and wait for the competing bacteria to grow. Try not to add non-natural products. Theoretically, some methods like UV or very fine filter sock may work, but not necessary.
I also tried adding live rock, but didn't work well. One of my friends heavily stocked with live rock has experienced dinos outbreak, too. His tank was ULNS, so too-low nutrient may not be good.
Instead of eliminating or defeating it, try raising competing bacteria by doing nothing, but raising your nutrient levels. I believe this is the cheapest, easiest, and fastest way of defeating it. Hope it works for you.
Yas

Yes I agree. I’ve been trying to raise nutrients natural ways by stepping up feeding schedule and turning skimmer off.. also my refuge is has been off.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at pic.. ostr UV will work.. plumbed into display and run carbon.

If they are small have a a point.. ostr.. if more round.. could be coolia and my understanding with coolia sand gets better at night but not really into water column..... they go down under the sand..... so for coolia i dosed Silica created a massive diatom bloom for 2 weeks... it worked.... then i had ostr.........UV plumbed in display works..... plus i recently took out my sand bed to help fight GHA that i couldnt get rid of for ever.. and i also liked the idea of removing it will help not get Dinos.. and my tank is looking pretty sharp. GHA is fading slowly...

i had large amph, coolia and ostr at once.. i was in hell...

along with silicas... i dosed No3 and po4.. i kept po4 .1 minimum...

I’m liking the idea of getting rid of the sand more and more. But I’d be open to putting a new sand bed back in and watch my nitrate phosphate levels closely never letting them bottom out again

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m liking the idea of getting rid of the sand more and more. But I’d be open to putting a new sand bed back in and watch my nitrate phosphate levels closely never letting them bottom out again
that being said... i read people put sand back in and it came back...

I liked the natural look of sand.... but removing it.. i can say as of now.. i dont regret it one bit.. i love it.. i actually wish i started like this... MY ONLY complaint is when i see a snail flipped over it was so easy to flip in sand now the shells slide and i dont want to put my hands in the tank so its a PITA with my coral feeder.. lolololol my only problem

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months in and have removed all dinos from rocks now its only on the sand. UV doesnt do anything to it though.

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m joining in a bit late, but I had dino’s about 6 months ago so let me share my experience. When it first started I didn’t really know what it was and I was trying some random stuff like a lot of waterchanges which was stupid. But when found out it was dino’s (about 1 month later) I did some research and made a “fight plan”. So let me share it :)

- I started with adding carbon. I’ve heard dino’s can release toxins (don’t know if it’s true), but carbon can neutralize the toxins.
- Then I did a three day black out to knock down the dino’s.
- After that I did the following daily:
1. Turn of pumps
2. Blow dino’s of rocks and sand with a turkey baster filled with RO/DI (!) water
3. Remove as much dino’s out of the water column manually with a fine mesh filter bag
- I also stopped water changes to raise the nutrient levels.
- The final thing I did was adding bottled bacteria every few days. I’ve heard dino’s are a result of a disbalance in beneficial bacteria in the tank. So this would help solve it.

Doing al this worked really well for me. The dino’s disappeared day by day and in about 2 weeks they were mostly gone. I can’t really tell all the science behind it since it was kinda experimental, but I’ve read somewhere that dino’s can’t handle RO/DI water. I think it worked great for me, but maybe I was just lucky lol.

Hopefully this is helpful for someone :)

Last edited:

Dacota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day.
I am writing my first post here and through google translator, so sorry.;Writing
I would like to share my experience of getting rid of dino.
The first time a dino appeared and I didn't know what to do and why it appeared.
In short, the only thing that worked was:
- lighting off for 4 days;
- then, then one week for 4 hours a day, Royal Blue light;
- then every week I increased the Royal Blue light for two hours, and so on until full daylight hours;
- then I turned on the main light of the T5 lamp for 4 hour and, just like Royal Blue, increased it by two hours every week until I went to normal daylight hours.

In the course of experiments (2 times later), I found out that my dino flare started every time after two weeks, when I started adding amino acids to the aquarium. I quickly defeated these dino flashes twice with the method I described above. I don’t add amino acids anymore and after that the dinos didn’t come to visit again.;)
* I will add that the corals did not die in 4 days, but they can lose some of their colors.

Last edited:

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day.
I am writing my first post here and through google translator, so sorry.;Writing
I would like to share my experience of getting rid of dino.
The first time a dino appeared and I didn't know what to do and why it appeared.
In short, the only thing that worked was:
- lighting off for 4 days;
- then, then one week for 4 hours a day, Royal Blue light;
- then every week I increased the Royal Blue light for two hours, and so on until full daylight hours;
- then I turned on the main light of the T5 lamp for 4 hour and, just like Royal Blue, increased it by two hours every week until I went to normal daylight hours.

In the course of experiments (2 times later), I found out that my dino flare started every time after two weeks, when I started adding amino acids to the aquarium. I quickly defeated these dino flashes twice with the method I described above. I don’t add amino acids anymore and after that the dinos didn’t come to visit again.;)
* I will add that the corals did not die in 4 days, but they can lose some of their colors.
Im glad lights off helped you, in my case the lights off just killed 50% of all my corals ( never doing that again ) instead im just letting my tank get dirty, been at it for atleast 6 months now and no dinos on the rocks but man is my tank consuming phosphates at a ridiculous rate. Right now its consuming 0.10 phosphates every 24 hours do i gotta stay dosing.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad lights off helped you, in my case the lights off just killed 50% of all my corals ( never doing that again ) instead im just letting my tank get dirty, been at it for atleast 6 months now and no dinos on the rocks but man is my tank consuming phosphates at a ridiculous rate. Right now its consuming 0.10 phosphates every 24 hours do i gotta stay dosing.

Maybe my weekly water changes are not allowing my tank to build up nutrients.. I can’t get phosphates or nitrates above 0 and I dose 10ml pho’s / nitrate almost daily

Dacota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE = "Marc2952, сообщение: 7836083, участник: 135418"]
Я рад, что выключенный свет помог вам, в моем случае он просто убил 50% всех моих кораллов (больше никогда не делаю этого), вместо этого я просто позволяю своему аквариуму испачкаться, занимаюсь этим по крайней мере 6 месяцев, и никаких динозавров на камнях но человек - мой резервуар, потребляющий фосфаты с невероятной скоростью. Сейчас он потребляет 0,10 фосфатов каждые 24 часа, я должен продолжать дозировку.
[/ QUOTE]
Подскажите, пожалуйста, как долго вы боролись с динозавром в своем аквариуме?

Rollinreefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my battle with Dinos a a couple of months ago using the Cruz method from elegance corals. Straight to the point and simple. Reefdudes did a good discussion with Cruz on how his method works (). You should check it out. Good Luck

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back