Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Brightwell in the past. Works ok. As does Flourish. I like to make my own phosphate dosing solution these days. I also agree with the lights out and uv.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter will also help

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brightwell works. It's really dilute compared to ones designed for freshwater tanks like the aquavitro and seachem. It takes about 5mL to raise a 25 gallon tank 0.01ppm. It only takes 0.1mL of the aquavitro activate to raise the same.
Okay, got a UV - Aqua UV 40 watt which will be here in a few days. Here is the other stuff I'm prepping:

1. Adding Carbon + Filter Pads + 4" Filter Media Cups x 2 (can't fit media reactor with UV in Sump)
  2. Purchasing BW Phosphate supplement to increase phosphate - Need 0.20 ppm
  3. Will continue to monitor Nitrate and dose KN03 --- shooting for 5-10 PPM
  4. Trying to see how I can get UV to pull from main tank vs sump --- I'll see if I can figure this out -- UV will run at 336,000 uw/cm2
  5. Complete 3 day blackout (How do I keep my fish alive?!? --- they need foods?)
  6. Someone mentioned to me adding aminos --- what product should I use? I tried looking up Brightwell's but they have a billion products :eek:
  7. Adding more bioload (the two tangs that have been in my QT forever now pre-treated and have been waiting to move for over a week now) -- me not having enough fish for my equipment really did a number getting me to 0 nutrients and I can't feed the fish currently in the tank enough

I also have Phyto I can dose. Hopefully I still have pods left - it was sad to see them get murdered by the dinos. I had a ton of them on my glass prior to the dinos :(.

Once the dinos are gone I was thinking of adding Amipods and maybe I can cure a batch of live rock from a local reefer...this lack of biodiversity think is frustrating --- I miss the 'ole school imported live rock when I last reefed.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll have to reestablish the pods. I would stop dosing phyto. You'll have to add the biodiversity back in with some lr or grunge . my experience is to test your po4 often. The lr will absorb a lot.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll have to reestablish the pods. I would stop dosing phyto. You'll have to add the biodiversity back in with some lr or grunge . my experience is to test your po4 often. The lr will absorb a lot.

Ya I wished I got live rock when I didn’t have fish now with fish I’m worried about introducing disease and having ammonia spikes from die off. It’s like a catch-22 now with live rock [emoji85]

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is fine to continue. Aminos can actually make Dino's worse. Fish will be fine for a few days, but feel free to turn lights on for a few minutes to feed them. Honestly, I've gotten rid of Dino's with UV and phosphate dosing without doing a blackout in several systems. The blackout just seals the deal.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is fine to continue. Aminos can actually make Dino's worse. Fish will be fine for a few days, but feel free to turn lights on for a few minutes to feed them. Honestly, I've gotten rid of Dino's with UV and phosphate dosing without doing a blackout in several systems. The blackout just seals the deal.

Thanks - I’ll leave the aminos out then. Just gotta wait for the UV to show up [emoji28].

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Still waiting on the UV to arrive. In the meantime I dosed KNO3 and Neophos. I'm targeting 5 PPM Nitrates and 0.02 phosphate. My nitrates and phosphates were at 0 when I tested. Looks like the tank ate up the KN03 I dosed earlier in about a week :eek:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got a UV - Aqua UV 40 watt which will be here in a few days. Here is the other stuff I'm prepping:

1. Adding Carbon + Filter Pads + 4" Filter Media Cups x 2 (can't fit media reactor with UV in Sump)
  2. Purchasing BW Phosphate supplement to increase phosphate - Need 0.20 ppm
  3. Will continue to monitor Nitrate and dose KN03 --- shooting for 5-10 PPM
  4. Trying to see how I can get UV to pull from main tank vs sump --- I'll see if I can figure this out -- UV will run at 336,000 uw/cm2
  5. Complete 3 day blackout (How do I keep my fish alive?!? --- they need foods?)
  6. Someone mentioned to me adding aminos --- what product should I use? I tried looking up Brightwell's but they have a billion products :eek:
  7. Adding more bioload (the two tangs that have been in my QT forever now pre-treated and have been waiting to move for over a week now) -- me not having enough fish for my equipment really did a number getting me to 0 nutrients and I can't feed the fish currently in the tank enough

I also have Phyto I can dose. Hopefully I still have pods left - it was sad to see them get murdered by the dinos. I had a ton of them on my glass prior to the dinos :(.

Once the dinos are gone I was thinking of adding Amipods and maybe I can cure a batch of live rock from a local reefer...this lack of biodiversity think is frustrating --- I miss the 'ole school imported live rock when I last reefed.
I would do only steps 1-4.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Hoping to get some help. So I dosed KN03 and Neophos to get levels up.

Nitrates are a little over 20 (overdosed?) and phosphates are at 0.00.

Nitrate is on API kit. Phosphate is on Hanna Checker

I’m puzzled on what to do because the Neophos bottle seems to hint that increasing phosphates will increase nitrates and I don’t want my nitrates to get too high [emoji29]

f2e852a693e5b07ecddc37fd029037bb.jpg

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I installed the aqua UV last night. The thing is massive measuring 44” long and I could barely fit this beast in my sump. Couldn’t really get it up into my display without taking out my mesh top - which is risky considering I have hyper active wrasses.

Will I get results leaving it in my sump? I have it pulling from the first chamber and exiting in the fuge area.

My lights have been off for the last two days. I did have my ATS going until yesterday. I pulled the unit and notice I had dinos growing in the bottom. I cleaned it out, turned off the lights and let it run with the pump on.

I have filter cups and carbon I’m STILL waiting on (thanks SWA for your Uber slow shipping [emoji29] - why does EVERY online vendor ship to me slow except for MD ‍♂️)

Turning off the lights wiped all the Dinos from the sandbed. There are a number on the top of the rocks now.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I installed the aqua UV last night. The thing is massive measuring 44” long and I could barely fit this beast in my sump. Couldn’t really get it up into my display without taking out my mesh top - which is risky considering I have hyper active wrasses.

Will I get results leaving it in my sump? I have it pulling from the first chamber and exiting in the fuge area.

My lights have been off for the last two days. I did have my ATS going until yesterday. I pulled the unit and notice I had dinos growing in the bottom. I cleaned it out, turned off the lights and let it run with the pump on.

I have filter cups and carbon I’m STILL waiting on (thanks SWA for your Uber slow shipping [emoji29] - why does EVERY online vendor ship to me slow except for MD ‍♂️)

Turning off the lights wiped all the Dinos from the sandbed. There are a number on the top of the rocks now.
It has worked for me drawing from the sump as well.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has worked for me drawing from the sump as well.

Cool - how long did it take it for you to see Dino death when you installed in the sump [emoji28]. I used a quiet one 1200 and it’s at the lowest setting right now pulling from the first chamber of the sump

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - how long did it take it for you to see Dino death when you installed in the sump [emoji28]. I used a quiet one 1200 and it’s at the lowest setting right now pulling from the first chamber of the sump
I saw a drastic weakening within 24 hours. You'll often see the brown stands turn white

tomte25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second bring nitrate & phosphate above zero. I think that is what killed em for me. Although I also dosed Vibrant for a bit before trying raising nutrients. I used spectra stump remover for nitrates but recommend the purer stuff and Flourish for phosphate. I had been at my wits end before that with blackouts, etc.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second bring nitrate & phosphate above zero. I think that is what killed em for me. Although I also dosed Vibrant for a bit before trying raising nutrients. I used spectra stump remover for nitrates but recommend the purer stuff and Flourish for phosphate. I had been at my wits end before that with blackouts, etc.

Yup - I got nitrates and phosphates above 0. I went to ambient light only and have been seeing white stands since the UV has been installed. I’ll need to see what happens when the lights go on fully.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your progress? I've been battling this using the same exact methods and I still see Dino's. No stringy at all, but just bubbles on rockwork and a few coral. Any idea on how long to continue?

Also, did you blackout with UV running?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back