Dinos ID

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for a second opinion. Looks like Ostreopsis to me, but just wanted to make sure.

20220926_091055.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what mine looked like. Regular 3 day blackouts as required, plus a properly tuned uv sterilizer worked for me.

Thanks Matt. Hopefully the blackout doesn't upset the corals as much as the dinos have. UV is in the sump and hasn't done much, but I'll move it to the display and pump it from there directly.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matt. Hopefully the blackout doesn't upset the corals as much as the dinos have. UV is in the sump and hasn't done much, but I'll move it to the display and pump it from there directly.
You're welcome. I have a separate return pump and throttle valve for mine. I pump it from the sump to the display. There are other methods that work for other people, but my dino was going into the water column at night, so this method worked or me. It took a couple months to fully get rid of them. I hope you find a solution for your situation.

OP
OP
F

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasn't bad before I left for a 2 week work trip, but got home this weekend and it was ugly. Didn't help that my powerhead stopped working during the trip so stringy snot was attached to everything. Looks better since I've gotten home to correct everything, but can't afford to have this happen again since I'll be traveling alot for work so caved in and bought a microscope to ID the dinos.

UV is now in the main tank with a slower turnover. I'll check params in a bit but params before I left:

9/9/22
Salinity: 1.027
Phosphates: 0.07
Nitrates: 8.3
PH: 8.13

Probably next purchase is a roller mat so I don't have to worry about the filter sock clogging up while away cause the wifey won't touch the water lol.

OP
OP
F

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just found out my UV has been off for who knows how long. Had it on a timer to run it 12hrs a day and it never turned back on during the rolling blackouts. Probably why the dinos came back hard while I was gone :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Took it off the switch and have it plugged directly to a power strip to run it 24/7.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back